Shenmue: Reclaiming the Path

Can you imagine the games Yu Suzuki could make if modern graphical fidelity wasn’t required? He could focus so much more time on gameplay and even the fighting engine. With today’s advances in game engines we could get a game even bigger than Shenmue 2 for a fraction of the cost.

I don’t think an official game like Reclaiming the Path would ever be made though. But I honestly do think the fans would accept it if it was made.

what’s crazy is the graphics look amazing for what they are. I think most Shenmue fans, especially those who still play 1 and 2, would be perfectly happy with new games that resemble the originals. The old aesthetic stands out.

Did you say party?
Peak! This needs to come to console's 😉
There won't be console versions I'm afraid. I wouldn't know how to do it.
Playing it on a Dreamcast would be awesome but from what I read, it can be a huge headache to get to work right for experienced programmers, let alone an amateur like me.

As for a party, I meant in a similar way to Ren, Ryo, and Shenhua at the end of Shenmue 3, where they travel together.

Zongquan is 37, and is the leader. Wei Zhen is the slightly naive 18 year old, and Mingzhen is an uptight 21 year old that looked up to Zongquan at the Guang school, before Zongquan overdosed on pleasure.

Can you imagine the games Yu Suzuki could make if modern graphical fidelity wasn’t required? He could focus so much more time on gameplay and even the fighting engine. With today’s advances in game engines we could get a game even bigger than Shenmue 2 for a fraction of the cost.

I don’t think an official game like Reclaiming the Path would ever be made though. But I honestly do think the fans would accept it if it was made.
As much as I agree, I don't think Yu has any interest in making something that looks old. Even though S3 and Air Twister weren't technical marvels, you can tell he still likes to utilise new flashy tech, and that's partly what motivates him.

Also, I believe somewhere has been said they attempted using the old engine, but the task of reverse engineering was too tall a task with their budget and time constraints--they didn't necessarily have the full source engine from Sega alongside the license afaik.

Also, I believe somewhere has been said they attempted using the old engine, but the task of reverse engineering was too tall a task with their budget and time constraints--they didn't necessarily have the full source engine from Sega alongside the license afaik.
Yeah, that official "Shenmue SDK" only targeted DC (and the first Xbox maybe? I tried looking into it but couldn't find anything while it was easy finding long ago. I guess it has becomes rotten online content sadly) also can't remember any other studio licensing it for any other project.
Furthermore iirc the toolset just covered the whole FREE system and event programming but the fighting core was outruled.

As much as I agree, I don't think Yu has any interest in making something that looks old. Even though S3 and Air Twister weren't technical marvels, you can tell he still likes to utilise new flashy tech, and that's partly what motivates him.
So true but I bet if some gpu featuring zillions true sprites rotation+scaling gets released that would spark good Yu-san attention. Maybe the incipient voxel rendering has him tinkering, who knows.

Back