Shenmue Saga Fighting Game

Yu Suzuki has said he´d like to make another arcade-style game, a follow-up to a legacy title. He doesn´t need to wait for Sega. He has all of the characters, graphic assets, move sets etc. he needs to make a Shenmue fighting game in the style of Virtua Fighter, et al. Here is a list of reasons why he should make this and what it should be like.

Reasons why:
1. It would be cheap. You have the graphics engine and character models. You have a team in place. I´m surprised this has never been a mode in previous Shenmue games, frankly.
2. It would be more attractive to a mainstream audience, and thus sell better. Yu Suzuki could make this game play amazingly. Imagine something resembling a blend of Virtua Fighter and Last Bronx, but using characters from the Shenmue games. Low overhead plus a mainstream audience means more money.
3. If it had a story mode, it would be a way to attract a new audience to the Shenmue brand and catch them up on the story for Shenmue 4.
4. You have a two built-in audiences: fans of Shenmue and people waiting for a new Virtua Fighter. Marketed as the ¨new Virtua Fighter,¨ it would garner a large audience in Japan.
5. It would help fund Shenmue 4 and 5.

What it should include:
1. A tournament mode, team battle mode, one-on-one versus mode, and online play. All of these are musts in the online gaming age.
2. A story mode in which you show tell the story through the eyes of a few characters.
3. Characters from all of the Shenmue games so far. Include Iwao, Ryo (of course), Chai, Guizhang Chen, Shenhua, Goro, Tom, Ren, Wong, Yuanda Zhu, Lishao Tao, Joy, Dou Niu, Yuan, Baihu, Chunyan, Hong Dejing, Niao Sun, the Red Snakes boss (what´s his name?), and of course Lan Di. I´m sure more could be thought of and added, but that list would have lots of variety in story and gameplay.
4. Settings including Iwao´s dojo, Game You, in front of a Tomato Store, the Yokosuka docks, Bevery Hills Wharf, Kowloon, Bailu, the Rose Garden, Chunyn´s ¨arena,¨ the Old Castle, etc.
5. A cliffhanger ending leading up to Shenmue 4.

Let me know what you guys think. For me, it´s a no-brainer, ¨shut up and take my money!¨

My silly dream: Just want a space with a big pile of mini games/content. Not sure if you know Sonic Jam on Sega Saturn? There's a 3D Sonic World portion with Sonic in a 3D proof of concept (This was way before Sonic actually went properly 3D) along with different areas you can visit which house media/sound/picture content.

Be nice if there was a game/online space where you are Ryo in a generic part of town with a complex full of mini games/puzzles... Like a test bed or compilation of best bits.

Or just a Streets Of Rage meets River City Ransom type of affair. Get Wayforward involved and boom etc...

Regardless your idea sounds awesome. I'm one of the crazy people who thinks Castlevania Judgment on Wii is pretty awesome. Your ideas remind of this.

Back