Shenmue Talk Series Episode 7 Part 2 - Shenmue 3 Story in Niaowu

Sergeynest

Keep your Mind as clear as a Polished Mirror.
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Plague of Tale Requiem
Hi everyone; i've just posted a new episode of the Shenmue Talk Series in my channel. This episode covers the story of Shenmue 3 in Niaowu until the end of the game. In the video I cover Ryo's martial arts training and carry on with the development of the subject of Yin and Yang and its connection with the story elements of Shenmue 3 by sharing some analysis and personal theories.
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the video here and share our personal thoughts about its content and further develop upon them.

So let us share our thougths and personal theories and opinions in a friendly and respectful manner.

I'm going to provide the links to both videos that cover the story of Shenmue 3 below. I hope you enjoy watching them and await eagerly for your shared opinion.

Shenmue Talk Series Episode 7 Part 1 - Shenmue 3 Story - Bailu Village

Shenmue Talk Series Episode 7 Part 2 - Shenmue 3 Story - Niaowu

I enjoyed your in-depth breakdown. Two points I wanted to quickly touch on-

1.) I also interpreted Shenhua sending Ren some telepathic type signal when they first met which made him head for the hills quite quickly. I never thought she planted seed of him enlisting the help of Shiling and Mr. Hsu however. I think when game had character swap system in place Ren would have had a lot of tasks and activities within Niaowu which would have probably fleshed out his relationships with both characters which would have made them joining Ryo make a lot more narrative sense than what we saw in the final game.

2.) Very interesting symbolism you picked up on with Lan Di and the burning wood. Som may argue you are looking into symbolism almost too much but be interesting to see Suzuki’s response if presented by this theory.

Last edited:
I never knew that the tiger and dragon are opposing mythological creatures, that's some very interesting symbolism when applied to Ryo and Lan Di.

I wonder if the white tiger leader and Lan Di might have a bit of a scuffle given how the beasts they represent are opposed. But after how Niao Sun treated Lan Di, it would probably make him the most bullied Chi You Men leader of the whole gang. Poor Lan Di! :(

I enjoyed you in-depth breakdown. Two points I wanted to quickly touch on-

1.) I also interpreted Shenhua sending Ren some telepathic type signal when they first left which made him head for the hills quite quickly. I never thought she planted seed of him enlisting the help of Shiling and Mr. Hsu however. I think when game had character swap system in place Ren would have had a lot of tasks and activities within Niaowu which would have probably fleshed out his relationships with both characters which would have made them joining Ryo make a lot more narrative sense than what we saw in the final game.

2.) Very interesting symbolism you picked up on with Lan Di and the burning wood. some may argue you are looking into symbolism almost too much but be interesting to see Suzuki’s response if presented by this theory.
Thanks; I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

1- If all the effort that was put into the DLC's had gone into fleshing out the side characters of the game, like Shiling and
Mr. Hsu or even Grand Master Bei we could have ended with a much better experience in the main game; but I also
understand that they had to put out some DLC to make some extra money out of Shenmue 3; so no regrets on that part for me.
But I think they could have easily made a scene where Ryo would confront the Red Snakes in the Streets of Niaowu in
which he would have been outnumbered, like the scene in the Golden Goose Vip Room and similar to that of Shenmue
2 where he gets a beating from Heavens Gang; but instead this time around we would have been helped by Shiling; Mr
Hsu and even Grand Master Bei. That scene alone would have strengthen the bond of Ryo with all the side characters and would have given more context and reason for them to help out Ryo later on in the game.

2- I can definitely see a lot of people arguing that I looked too much into the symbolism there; but when I saw that scene for the first time It was the first thing that came into my mind; because I already knew from the analysis in previous episodes that that element was the one connected with Lan Di; so it instantly clicked at that moment.
For me it symbolized Niao Sun's Yin energy becoming stronger because she had aquired the Phoenix Mirror and her
element of FIRE wining over Lan Di's element of WOOD destroying the Old Castle that was a Symbol of Lan Di's power
over Niao Sun in her territory. I think that was quite aparent due to all the Dragon Statues that were adorning the Old
Castle.
I would also really liked to see what Yu Suzuki would said about all of these theories; I think it would be really
interesing.

Last edited:
Thanks; I'm glad you enjoyed the video.

But I think they could have easily made a scene where Ryo would confront the Red Snakes in the Streets of Niaowu in which he would have been outnumbered, like the scene in the Golden Goose Vip Room and similar to that of Shenmue 2 where he gets a beating from Heavens Gang; but instead this time around we would have been helped by Shiling; Mr Hsu and even Grand Master Bei.​

Yeah I think one of the biggest failings of Red Snakes and Niaowu was there presence never felt real. We were also seeing the destruction they caused after the fact in addition you predominantly during the search only encounter and face off against two of the members of the gang, so it felt very hollow in comparison to the Mad Angels or even the Heavens let alone the Yellowheads.

Back