Shenmue The Animation Announced

Geez, of all the things they could have focused on, they're just doing an adaptation... sadly this just falls into a category of indulgence - Something that considering the mild reaction of Shenmue III they're not in the position to do. I just see no point in this, sure it may greet Shenmue to a wider audience and give them a breakdown of the story but will it really incentivize people to make the transition from Anime to Game to continue the story?

Will I watch it, of course! But I really feel this could have been a chance to explore other territory within the world, The Chi-You Men, Iwao's Past, NPC/Character Mini Story's, Introduce Shenmue IV's location - An adaptation was pretty low on the list of what I wanted from this. As I said, sure I'll watch it but I'm not majorly excited to be honest just due to the lack of potential this has.

It's not "just" an adaption. They have already said it will include a lot of new story content and ideas that were cut from the original games due to budget and time constraints, and due to the age ratings of the original games.

Well... I'm excited but also disappointed.

Excited because we will finally get a version of the entire story and finally get some closure.

Disappointed because I'm 95% sure this means that Shenmue as a game series is over. There will be no Shenmue 4 and no conclusion on game form. I just don't see it happening. Suzuki wanted to ensure fans got an ending and he was able to get this deal to do it.

So yeah.... excited... but disappointed.
I think you are completely wrong and I doubt Yu Suzuki would like to end the series for the fans this way.
I believe this is an amazing way to attract new people into the series and consider it one of the best moves Sega and Yu Suzuki in terms of advertisement for the series. In fact this was what should have been done 18 years ago.

Funny how people outside the fandom keep saying no-one cares about Shenmue and Shenmue is dead...and then a new Shenmue project starts trending on Twitter. :ROFLMAO:

I don't know why Shenmue upsets people so much.
Just let the fans be happy. We're not hurting anybody. It's just childish if you ask me!

Just let the fans be happy. We're not hurting anybody. It's just childish if you ask me!

It's "cool" to hate on the internet. About the only answer I have for it. The way some people act, you would think Yu poured sugar in their cars gas tank and killed their beloved pets.

I honestly can't imagine spending your life in hate. What good can come from it?

Last edited:
True. As has been said many times here constructive points of view are always welcomed whatever side of an arguement.

But yeah the wider internet likes to hate on everything even if universally liked or if it has no relevance to your interests.

They hated because they can't actually understand why we love this series so much and that makes them angry.

Yeah, I really hope they still go with Corey and Brianna! :grinning:

I’ll be watching with Japanese dub. So hopefully Masaya is still on board on that front. I actually really like Japanese Ryo.

Thats the other thing. Will Ryo be as KY as he is in the games? Or will he have a bit of a different personality?

But I would be curious to see how an English dub would fare. Different medium so maybe it would be different enough. I would imagine Corey and Brianna will return. But that would mean new voice cast for everyone else. Especially for Xiuying.

Are they going to show something at the Anime Expo !? When!?

Back