Shenmue The Animation Announced

So does this mean that Corey and Brianna "I am Shenhua's first voice actress" Knickerbocker are on board if this gets an English dub?

Im OK with Corey and Brianna but I hope that for the love of God, whatever they do, they will not cast the guy who voiced Lan Di in S3. That must have been the most terrible miscast in video game history. I'm not taking shots at the guy here, mind you, I think he's probably a good voice actor in his own right but his voice just doesn't suit Lan Di at all. S3 Lan Di's voice was an abomination. If they could get Paul Lucas again, we're golden.

I mean if they get Matsukaze as Ryo, Fujioka as Iwao, Sakurai as Lan Di and Ren and Shenhua's S3 voice actors for the Japanese dub, we're golden too. Unfortunately S2 Ren's Jap voice actor has retired from the industry iirc, but Jap S3 Ren was fine as well.
Personally I think the adaptation should be its own thing, rather than clumsily selecting and picking voice actors, and leaving some out to the cold... I think it's better if they just do a new cast, that honour the actors in the game. (They didn't even make an effort to sound anything like Paul Lucas' voice)

Too many posts to respond to after the one I did above, so I'm not going to touch on many points that others made.

This is beyond awesome, of course and the fact that Yu is on-board means that we will get an authentic experience; I just hope Executive Meddling doesn't screw things up.

I too think this means that the boat chapter is 100% going to be in (when mentioning specifically, "story beats that could not be done in the game," this just makes too much sense) and it will be great to add to the lore and more story details.

Just think, the basement and the room in the Ghost Hall Building can be expanded upon, the explanation of the CYM and their leaders could be expanded upon, we may see early depictions (as of 'mue II's timeline or 'mue's timeline) of the other leaders, as well as Ziming and Niao Sun.

The possibilities are almost quite literally endless, for what this anime can show off; excited isn't even a fraction of what I'm feeling right now :D

Has it been confirmed how long the length of each episode is? (I'm guessing the standard 30 mins)

I like that he's going to tell the stories with more detail than was in the original games, whilst also going with a bit darker tone.

I liken that to Toy Story 3, which had a much more adult tone to account for the fact that many fans of the initial two films had grown up. I see him going with a similar approach here.

I still want this as the after credits rolling music. It is a show after all, might as well have the Theater music.

Too many posts to respond to after the one I did above, so I'm not going to touch on many points that others made.

This is beyond awesome, of course and the fact that Yu is on-board means that we will get an authentic experience; I just hope Executive Meddling doesn't screw things up.

I too think this means that the boat chapter is 100% going to be in (when mentioning specifically, "story beats that could not be done in the game," this just makes too much sense) and it will be great to add to the lore and more story details.

Just think, the basement and the room in the Ghost Hall Building can be expanded upon, the explanation of the CYM and their leaders could be expanded upon, we may see early depictions (as of 'mue II's timeline or 'mue's timeline) of the other leaders, as well as Ziming and Niao Sun.

The possibilities are almost quite literally endless, for what this anime can show off; excited isn't even a fraction of what I'm feeling right now :D

Has it been confirmed how long the length of each episode is? (I'm guessing the standard 30 mins)
I still think that they would have done a great job if they had made the Big Merry Cruise dlc the boat chapter. What a missed opportunity !? What where they thinking Jesus F... Christ.😞

I ment appearing everywhere. Guess I used the wrong expression. My bad.
I mean, your logic makes perfect sense. As a native english speaker, it made me wonder for the first time why "bombing" and "dud" are synonyms for "financial disaster" when a dud is a bomb that doesn't explode (and therefore is the opposite of bombing). Similarly, why do "bombing" and "blowing up" mean the exact opposite in the financial sense when they literally mean the same thing otherwise? 🧐

I don't know why Shenmue upsets people so much.
Just let the fans be happy. We're not hurting anybody. It's just childish if you ask me!
I was just thinking about this again after reading the Gematsu comments. Lots of people taking potshots at the series. I really think what it comes down to is a sort of resentment over "not getting it" when seeing people like us who absolutely adore the series.

I was just thinking about this again after reading the Gematsu comments. Lots of people taking potshots at the series. I really think what it comes down to is a sort of resentment over "not getting it" when seeing people like us who absolutely adore the series.
I'm sure they will move onto other things to moan about. They don't have to get it but I can imagine a wider anime audience getting the series, which is what we're hoping for :)

Interesting to see a lot of people talking about it in Japan. The common themes seem to be ‘why?’, ‘just make S4 instead’ and ‘they should finish the story through anime’. It’s not trending or anything, but given that it’s a niche series with limited mass-market appeal (or whatever LW called it), the announcement has turned quite a few heads.

I'm starting to come around. Feeling pretty excited for it. Wish there could have been a trailer to show off.

My primary concern is how quickly the anime will surpass, and likely overtake the games. I don't watch anime so not sure how quickly seasons can be done, but it takes about 5 years to make a game.

Can anyone update me on how series on streaming platforms (netflix / crunchyroll) are considered a success? Does it simply come down to viewership numbers?
On Netflix you can classify any series with a thumbs up or down. As for crunchyroll I don't know.

I'm sure they will move onto other things to moan about. They don't have to get it but I can imagine a wider anime audience getting the series, which is what we're hoping for :)
I agree. The PS5 and Xbox series are close to launch, so there will be a lot to hate.

Back