Shenmue The Animation Announced

I was just thinking about this again after reading the Gematsu comments. Lots of people taking potshots at the series. I really think what it comes down to is a sort of resentment over "not getting it" when seeing people like us who absolutely adore the series.

I've learned long ago that trying to reason with people like this is a waste of time and a strain on my mental health. If they want to be miserable, that's their prerogative. I am only a member here and on Eurogamer and I only try to comment on positive things if I can. It's too easy to be miserable these days, so hard as it can be sometimes, I say fuck them and leave them to stew in their negativity.

I do agree that some might be upset for "not getting it". To that extent, I can sympathise, because it suggests they made the effort to try and that's OK. It's the ones who use Shenmue as an easy target or punching bag that grinds my gears~

I'm getting a weird feeling from this. I know it's great news and I really want to see how this handles the story but for some reason I'm getting Shenmue Online flashbacks. Instead of hearing of the next installment in the series, we get a sideproject... you know what I'm getting at. Of course this is 10 times closer to the essence of Shenmue and 100 times more likely to actually get done.

Strange times right now.

I'm starting to come around. Feeling pretty excited for it. Wish there could have been a trailer to show off.

My primary concern is how quickly the anime will surpass, and likely overtake the games. I don't watch anime so not sure how quickly seasons can be done, but it takes about 5 years to make a game.
We might get one later today. It was confirmed they pushed the button on the announcement early because it had started to get out. 8pm BST is something to watch for, possibly.

I'm starting to come around. Feeling pretty excited for it. Wish there could have been a trailer to show off.

My primary concern is how quickly the anime will surpass, and likely overtake the games. I don't watch anime so not sure how quickly seasons can be done, but it takes about 5 years to make a game.
It depends on the anime. Some create weekly episodes whilst others put out a season a year.

Given that they’ve been working on the anime since last November, I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw season one drop in late 2020 / early 2021. Depending on how much (if any) work has been done on S4, the following could be theoretically possible...

2021: Season 1 / no game
2022: Season 2 / Shenmue 4
2023: Season 3 / no game
2024: Season 4 / no game
2025: Season 5 / Shenmue 5

But I agree that if the anime is successful enough to get 5 seasons, it’s more than likely that at some point the anime will overtake the games (especially as 3 seasons of the anime might end up covering the story of all 5 games)

So far it doesnt seem like thats the plan. I mean they didnt even start airing episode 1 of the anime yet
and it probably doesnt even reach the ending of the game Shenmue 2 with episode 13.
So i wouldnt worry about anything yet. I'm pretty sure they will make it very very very very very clear and official
if they are planning to finish the whole Shenmue story with the anime in the future.
But so far the comments said that the anime does not stop or replace Shenmue 4.
So we have to do what we can do best as Shenmue fans. Wait.

If there's a trailer then my hype level would probably fucking explode. Fingers crossed Corey is doing this. I'd be so happy for him if he's doing it.
You, me and everyone else's will that I can assure you.

I've a suspicion (no proof just gut) that him and Brianna might be involved.

We might get one later today. It was confirmed they pushed the button on the announcement early because it had started to get out. 8pm BST is something to watch for, possibly.

Do we know when it was supposed to be announced and if it was actually this weekend?

I thought it was weird that the announcement felt a bit underwhelming and rushed/out of nowhere. Not that I'm not ecstatic and excited or anything, just that it felt a bit weird to announce it and not even give any details on voice cast or show even a short trailer.

Where did we hear that the announcement was brought forward?

Do we know when it was supposed to be announced and if it was actually this weekend?

I thought it was weird that the announcement felt a bit underwhelming and rushed/out of nowhere. Not that I'm not ecstatic and excited or anything, just that it felt a bit weird to announce it and not even give any details on voice cast or show even a short trailer.

Where did we hear that the announcement was brought forward?
I'll dig out the article/tweet if I can find it.

I just noticed that cartoon Ryo is wearing Niaowu shoes, and they kind of look like they have the Brooks logo in the stitching.
I wonder how much product placement might be involved.

Quick, everyone:
Coke or Pokka-Sapporo?

Last edited:
Do you think they’ll show a trailer in a couple hours?

Mh it looks more like they made the announcement early because they were not able to do it at the actual event
for whatever reason so there wont be more footage or anything for now, right?
The Twitter account didnt post anything like watch out for the upcoming trailer or anything
and Kotaku, IGN and co already posted their articles about the announcement.
Doesnt this reduce the chances for more content?
(besides the Yu Suzuki interview)

Thanks spud. Hmm I'm not sure how to interpret that. It sounds like whatever we were supposed to get at panel is everything we just got this morning... or maybe it means more is to come? I hope we get a teaser or trailer. I'm not sure why they felt the need to announce half a day early just because of the leak.

Mh it looks more like they made the announcement early because they were not able to do it at the actual event
for whatever reason so there wont be more footage or anything for now, right?
The Twitter account didnt post anything like watch out for the upcoming trailer or anything
and Kotaku, IGN and co already posted their articles about the announcement.
Doesnt this reduce the chances for more content?
(besides the Yu Suzuki interview)

Yeah, this is my interpretation.

Why announce something without a trailer though? It's a bit disappointing.

Word of caution folks: the anime will no doubt be even more niche than the games. The closest analogue I can think of is Xenosaga, another game series I love. Like Shenmue it was an overreaching disappointment of a game series that had to be cut short, but it also received a 12 part anime series based on the first game.

I doubt this series will set the world alight, but it'll hopefully be a nice addition for us fans.

Back