Shenmue The Animation Announced

I only have 2 questions:

When is it coming and how do I support it financially?
1. No premiere date yet :(
2. Buy all the merch! (no really, this is how anime make their money)

It was so nice to hear from Yu Suzuki, although I think the subtitles crapped out on me during the questions with Sakurai as there was a big pause where he was talking and I didn't get any subs.

I'm not at all a fan of this approach of announcing something but having nothing to show at all with zero information.

It must be very far off if there's nothing prepared to show.

I think you might be being a tad bit impatient. That doesn’t necessarily mean that at all. There are game plans and social media campaigns/press campaigns that they go through. They can’t just tell all at once. They will feed press like breadcrumbs to get people from now till when it comes out.

have some faith!

I think you might be being a tad bit impatient. That doesn’t necessarily mean that at all. There are game plans and social media campaigns/press campaigns that they go through. They can’t just tell all at once. They will feed press like breadcrumbs to get people from now till when it comes out.
I get it, I'm saying I don't like it. Same goes for gaming as well. Announcing a game without anything to show is lame af.

I'm super hyped about this! I'm one of the fans more tied to the story than the gameplay so I've been jabbering on about an anime being the best chance in completing the story for over a decade and then again after S3.

It would be awesome if this first series took all the way through to S3's ending and then sneek peeked just past it to leave a major cliff hanger for the fans! Imagine that for a moment...

One thing I'm really curious about is whether it follows the games or Yu's original vision, or neither. We know there's elements of the story such as the boat chapter that were cut and would be huge fan service to include. But also not having Yu as the actual director might bring a spin on some of the characters or story points to surprise the fans also. A dangerous game to maybe mess with game's story but who knows....

Shenmue lives on and that's a great thing regardless to me :)

Hm, interesting. Very interesting.

There's some potential in this, me thinks... take some time, expand a few things, go deeper on skipped things, some proper anime-style fights, some training sequences, yeah, I can see this being cool. :unsure: I just hope it doesn't take the easy way out.

Wow this is truly a wonderful time to live in. In terms of being a Shenmue fan. After basically 20 years of silence we get Shenmue 3 last year and now an anime announcement. I have a feeling this anime will premiere in 2022 with a teaser trailer late next year.

Though I'm also hoping for a Shenmue IV announcement next year or in 2022 as well. So fingers crossed with both. Looking forward to whatever merch they plan on selling too. Wow what a crazy time it is. I can't wait to find out what they'll keep, remove, and expand upon in this 13 episode series. I planned on running through I-III over Christmas but now I'm so happy hell I may start it tonight!

The director didn’t sound very convincing. About like John Cho talking about what he liked about Cowboy Bebop.
Yeah, it did not inspire confidence for me how much he mentioned trying to restrain himself from rewriting things.

Back