Shenmue The Animation Announced

If they pick up a new fan base cuz of this and roll that into momentum for a new game, everyone wins.
Well I guess we see the result of our last conversation..
..Shenmue is a video game series. Ys Net is a studio that makes video games. Why do you keep moaning about anime and comic books? Why would Yu Suzuki, a veteran video game developer, want to release either of these things? Why do you think creating a quality anime or manga is cheap? Who would they hire to write or direct one of these things? Why do you think the majority of people who have interest in Shenmue the video game would suddenly be interested in a completely different kind of medium? You’re just spouting nonsense, dude. Sorry to break the news to you.

Ok here's some additional info i can share with you all now that this is made public. As always take this with a pinch of salt as things can always change. Ill be referring to my sources as Mr and Mrs X

1) I and a couple of others already knew about the anime a little while ago
2) My sources have told me Shenmue is more alive now than it ever has been, so you guys can stop panicking and assuming the worst
3) This doesn't seem to have any impact on Shenmue 4 happening down the road
4) The anime looks very promising from what they've seen
5) Rumor is that Sega is directly involved

Mr and Mrs X have stated the shenmue series having an anime is great news for the franchise as it expands the universe and audience. Its also more likely to appeal to a magnitude of different demographics.

There's some other promising tidbits about the future of the series but i wont be going into them as its more heresy and not concrete. I dont wanna spread any false rumors. If public announcements seem to be going in that direction, ill be back with a similar post to this

As always please take everything i said with a healthy pinch of salt

I will say look forward to some really amazing community projects coming out next. This ride isn't over yet!

Stay tuned and thanks to everyone for all your hardwork and passion

Your detective work really is something.

Last edited:
*i take it back, doesn't apply here :) :) apologies sh3ppy*

I am a tiny bit disappointed that it’ll only cover a bit of 2 and not just the first 2 games as a whole but I’m excited nonetheless

Well I guess we see the result of our last conversation..
Oh well, I said something different a few months ago. I still would rather see the series resolve itself as a game, but why would I have an issue with new fans getting into the story with an anime? I was discussing the rest of the series being completed as an anime or manga, not rebooting the series as an anime.

Last edited:
This is just the beginning.. and maybe they will even add the boat chapter as well.
True, hope the series is popular enough to garner a full on adaptation of the story (without eliminating the games of course)

If this series goes out really well it can even influence Shenmue IV in becoming even more anime style than Shenmue 3.

I hope not from a personal perspective. I much preferred the grounded direction in terms of cutscenes and camera movement than sometimes the overtly stylized nature of some scenes in Shenmue 3.

I hope in some ways they can be different by still compliment one another in terms of the anime adaptation.

I wouldn't feel devastated if the entire story was told in a well made anime.
Just a little...

But I really do think that there will be a Shenmue IV game. I can smell it, and I can feel it.

I was telling my wife the same thing on the drive home today. I’d rather play a game but after Shenmue 3 I’ve cooled on that preference. I just need closure more than anything.

Back