Shenmue The Animation Announced

I wonder if they will do any new music for it?

Or will it just be the soundtrack as is? (Not that I would mind, I love the soundtrack)
I can’t think of any songs from the first three games that are in keeping with a typical anime theme song. At the very least I think we’ll get a new or remixed theme song.

Besides Pokémon, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, and CardCaptors when I was but a wee boy, anime has meant nothing to me for about seventeen years. That changes today 😁

I float in and out, but I don't think I've watched a complete series since maybe Death Note. Oh no, I tell a lie, I watched the complete series of WATAMOTE because I found Tomoko so tragically hilarious.

I've tried with a few new shows but I find myself usually getting bored after three or four eps and find myself going back to older stuff.

Too much high school drama in most modern day anime for me.

But this? I will watch all 13 eps of this without question. Even if it potentially sucks (I don't think it will)

I actually read more manga these days than I do watch anime.

I would love to hear some reinterpretation since Shenmue remixes are very hard to find. I was underwhelmed by the heavy recycling in Shenmue 3.

Composing music from scratch may be easier and more inspirational for the studio's artist rather than being forced to fill the blanks with premade soundtrack. It will be interesting to see what they decide (and who makes it).

I can’t think of any songs from the first three games that are in keeping with a typical anime theme song. At the very least I think we’ll get a new or remixed theme song.
I could definitely see something like this one fit really well for an intro theme song

Just found out about this. Holy shit. Initial reaction is excitement and apprehension. If this is given the budget and care required it could be something really special. Not keen on having to sign up fir a subscription service so hopefully it'll come to blu ray.

in general I tend to avoid anime series because they can be pretty cheap looking compared to features. My main hope is that the martial arts are animated accurately and no corners are cut there

I would love to hear some reinterpretation since Shenmue remixes are very hard to find. I was underwhelmed by the heavy recycling in Shenmue 3.

Composing music from scratch may be easier and more inspirational for the studio's artist rather than being forced to fill the blanks with premade soundtrack. It will be interesting to see what they decide (and who makes it).
They should hire Richard Cartlidge. Some of his a Shenmue inspired tracks are fantastic.

Not keen on having to sign up fir a subscription service so hopefully it'll come to blu ray.
I read somewhere earlier that Crunchyroll is free to watch with ads and that you only need to subscribe to watch ad free?

Edit. On closer inspection it seems that most content can be watched with a free membership but it takes a while for new episodes to become available to watch for free.

The only problem i can see with Corey Marshall and the english dub is the age difference.
Like it was really clear in Shenmue 3 that he and his voice aged naturally
but now imagine the Ryo in the beginning of Shenmue 1 or even some added
before the start of Shenmue 1 scenes and Ryo has Coreys adult voice from Shenmue 3
That could be weird

I hope they had new music to the series but also blend in some of the most iconic tracks from the series and a few remixes as well.

I read somewhere earlier that Crunchyroll is free to watch with ads and that you only need to subscribe to watch ad free?

Edit. On closer inspection it seems that most content can be watched with a free membership but it takes a while for new episodes to become available to watch for free.
If I remember correctly on Crunchyroll the episodes go up usually a week after they air for free users (You don't need a login), if you have a sub you get it straight away and in higher definition.

I am so hyped for this, I can't believe you guys here forced their hands to announce this earlier than they planned :LOL: :LOL:

I look at it this way: over the years I've encouraged basically all my real-life game-playing friends to play Shenmue, and guess how many have actually done it? Two, in over a decade. Neither one finished it, and both waited till it was < $15.

It takes a lot for the average person to pay for and play an old, 30 hour game. But with TV the barrier to entry is dramatically lower. If you have the correct subscription, all you're giving up is 20 minutes of your time to see if you like it. If you don't have a subscription, you're looking at $10 (or a free trial) + 20 minutes.

Since the announcement, three of my friends have already said they'd give it a shot.
The barrier of entry for Crunchyroll is even lower, since it's free, with ads. (unless you have an adblocker...) You just have to wait an extra week more than paid subs to access the latest episode.

I expect curiosity will bring in many viewers, who just arent in investing time on an "outdated" game.

You’re absolutely right. We should all pretend to be miserable so that the haters don’t hate. Got any tips, @GhostTrick?

You’d think so, but experience voice actors like Masaya come at a premium. He’s also 43 now, which might be a bit old for playing an 18 year old.

I’d like to see Corey and co at least given the chance to audition, but we’ll have to wait and see.

As with Cedric, I’d be disappointed if Corey’s not involved in some way. Maybe they could cast him as Iwao? 😅

I don't see why you felt compelled to quote me for that snarky comment.

Back