Shenmue The Animation Announced

I'm not positive it can be without it feeling rushed. It's a tv show, it needs it's slower moments to build on character development. I am seeing people in other threads saying things like having the letter translated by the second episode. That is a big chunk of the first game to get through in a single episode. I see that kind of thing a lot in anime when it's an adaption of the manga, and it always feels rushed.
I reckon the first episode will start with the intro cutscene and that it will probably end after the fight scene at the Heart Beats Bar.

Last edited:
I reckon the first episode will start with the intro cutscene and that it will probably end after the fight scene at the Heart Beats Bar.
I think this is likely but my hope is actually that the first episode is slow and shows Ryo and Iwao's lives before Lan Di shows up.
I thought about how I would do a Shenmue show and I think I would end the first episode with Iwao dying rather than starting it to allow some of the characterization to build, to juxtapose the differences in Ryo's life pre and post his father's death and to give the episode a hook at the end to compel the audience to watch episode 2.

I think this is likely but my hope is actually that the first episode is slow and shows Ryo and Iwao's lives before Lan Di shows up.
I thought about how I would do a Shenmue show and I think I would end the first episode with Iwao dying rather than starting it to allow some of the characterization to build, to juxtapose the differences in Ryo's life pre and post his father's death and to give the episode a hook at the end to compel the audience to watch episode 2.
That's a great idea for a first episode; maybe we will see Ryo at school with is friends and Nozomi; even going out after class to Tom's hot dog truck to eat; then a scene at the dojo with Iwao training Ryo and Fuku San and after that the three having dinner at the Hazuki residence with Ine San; a meal with carrots and Ryo making a big effort to eat them and Iwao saying "That's my boy" and they all have big laugh. ๐Ÿคฃ
When does that episode really come out !? Because I'm dying to see it.

I'm sure I'm alone when I say this but I have no interest in seeing Ryo's early life. IMO Shenmue 1 started off perfectly. That opening cutscene was perfection and set the tone for what we know as Shenmue today. That mystery of peeling back each layer to find the next clue to get closer to Lan Di and find out more about Iwao. I think the anime should start off like Shenmue 1.

I'd like to see a 26 episode Shenmue 0 or Shenmue Origins anime. 1-13 about Iwao and 14-26 about Ryo's childhood.

Not trying to throw shade but, dam Shenmue gets an anime before Yakuza by Sega? I think either the tides are turning or we're the canary in the coal mine for Sega to see how RGG can also be adapted later down the road as well.

Yakuza gets its own thing

I would have confidence if this were a Netflix or Amazon prime series but live action video game movies tend to suck.

Thats true. Also its not an easy task to make the fighting scenes of the game work in real life
and to find a perfect cast. Does a perfect real life Kiryu even exist on this planet?
I guess it would be easier to make a Judgment movie for example
because they could just use the real person.

But besides all that, it still shows that Sega is interested in pushing their stuff
and trying different things.

GUYS REMINDER: AN ANIME'S SUCCESS THRESHOLD IS MUCH LOWER THAN THAT OF A VIDEO GAME, SO IF WE SUPPORT IT LIKE WE WOULD ANY COLLECTOR'S MERCH, THE PROFIT KICKBACK CAN HELP BOOST SIV'S VIABILITY. THE FANDOM HELPED FUNDED AND BROKE EVEN S3 PRE AND POST LAUNCH, THIS WILL ONLY HELP THE IP. PLEASE RALLY TO SUPPORT THIS ENDEAVOR EVEN IF IT'S NOT IDEALLY THE BEST.
I'M WITH YOU MAN. I SUPPORT YOUR CAPS. ROGER THAT.

1608629396106.png

Just found about this Martial Arts Anime called "Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi" and watched the first episode; I really enjoyed it a lot and I think it has lot in common with the Shenmue series. I think it is a good anime to watch while we wait for the Shenmue Animated series.
Has anyone watched it already !? If you haven't check it out and share your toughts about it.
I'm going to leave a link to the site where I'm watching the series below.

[Mod Edit: link removed]

The main protagonist Kenichi even has a bandage in his face just like Ryo :D
1608630035191.png

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 10013

Just found about this Martial Arts Anime called "Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi" and watched the first episode; I really enjoyed it a lot and I think it has lot in common with the Shenmue series. I think it is a good anime to watch while we wait for the Shenmue Animated series.
Has anyone watched it already !? If you haven't check it out and share your toughts about it.

I've read the manga, really funny and entertaining, although not seen the anime version.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 10013

View attachment 10015
Cool suggestion! Will probably give this a look.

Unfortunately I've had to remove the link you posted though as it could be considered piracy (which is against our ToS).

View attachment 10013

View attachment 10015
Kenichi is cool. Watched it years ago. Hella goofy characters.

Back