Shenmue The Animation Episode 5: Equal SPOILERS thread

Sorry for going off-topic, but I suspect you're getting an RTP related error.

Here's how to fix it:

1. Download this file.

2. Extract and install it to the RPG2000 folder that's part of your Shenmue - The Boat installation
(Sometimes the installation freezes at the end during 'font registration', but that's not a problem. At that point you'll already have the files that matter.)

3. Navigate to your Shenmue - The Boat installation folder, specifically the 'shenmue' folder.

4. Right-click on 'RPG_RT.exe' and choose 'Properties'.

5. Under the 'Compatibility Mode' tab, choose 'Windows XP' (either Service Pack 2 or 3 both work) and apply.

6. Run 'RPG_RT.exe'.

I hope it works for you.

About downloading the file it appear to me that the file has been deleted, i will send a private message so i can ask you about the game, thank you.

I agree with some people in here that the rescue of Nozomi was a little cheesy, I got Niawou castle vibes from it. I can't help but think of the real world consequences Mai, Goro and Mark would face for their involvement.

It seems like Ryo resigned from his job instead of being fired. I suppose if Ryo did lose his job due to attracting attention from the Mad Angels, the same would eventually happen to Mark for his involvement in thwarting their plans.

Also interesting how Chai's involvement in taking Lan Di to the ship was not mentioned. Ryo speaking Chinese was a nice touch, especially since that was the original plan in the games if I'm not mistaken.

One time Yu Suzuki said this about the anime... "the anime will be more accessible and can be enjoyed by small children.”

I love anime and some anime have this type of scenes that maybe some people will find this silly and other things, i don't have problems with rescue of Nozomi in this version. That forklift action with Mark is awesome in my opinion.

i love the game version but for the anime version i think it is a nice touch to give more screen time for the other characters, in my opinion was nice to see the other characters in action like this helping Ryo and Nozomi.

It is possible that in this version Ryo resigned from his job instead of being fired, that his boss Ryozo Yada and other people will never know that Ryo, Guizhang, Mark, Goro and Mai did all of this things and got rid of The Mad Angels.

In the game Ryo have many fights with the Mad Angels in the harbour, and Ryo is fired from his job before the 70 man battle. In the anime version is after the 70 man battle, after Guizhang said to him that he will talk with his father about helping Ryo to go to Hong Kong, i think Ryo in the anime version resigned from the job because probably Ryo knew that everything was already arranged to go to Hong Kong, so no more reason to work in the harbour.

The original plan was for Ryo to speak in chinese in the games? i never saw Yu Suzuki or other people of the team talking about this, interesting. Ryo speaking mandarin in this episode was a nice touch and i think this will happen sometimes in Hong Kong/Kowloon and Guilin.

Last edited:
The boat part can show Ryo getting to know the other parts of the boat and the people that are travelling with him, maybe doing friendships on the boat, can show Ryo studying mandarin, we saw Ryo talking in mandarin in this episode so it looks like Ryo is learning mandarin in this version of the story. In many scenes we saw Ryo with this book and i think Ryo is trying to learn Mandarin with this book.
Sorry for being extremely picky, but shouldn't Ryo be studying Cantonese (and not Mandarin) if he's going to Hong Kong? Is it really Mandarin what Ryo speaks in the anime? I'm unable to differentiate the two personally...

(This made me wonder what language is spoken in Guilin, too)

Sorry for being extremely picky, but shouldn't Ryo be studying Cantonese (and not Mandarin) if he's going to Hong Kong? Is it really Mandarin what Ryo speaks in the anime? I'm unable to differentiate the two personally...

As far as i know people in Hong Kong speak English, Cantonese and Mandarin, I'm unable to differentiate the two yet, someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

I saw now that the official languages in Hong Kong are English and Cantonese but some people speak Mandarin as well.

Last edited:
As far as i know people in Hong Kong speak English, Cantonese and Mandarin, I'm unable to differentiate the two yet, someone can correct me if i'm wrong.
Cantonese is the main language spoken in Hong Kong, Mandarin is secondary and like half the people there speak/understand it. For reference, it's closer to the amount of people who can speak/understand English than Cantonese. Hong Kong citizens/culture isn't very fond of Mandarin, as it gets associated with mainland China (and more specifically the Republic).

The anime has, so far, only used Mandarin as its language for Chinese speakers (Lan-Di, the travel agent and Ryo/Master Chen), as far as I can tell. Lan-Di/rhe restaurant and the travel agent scenes were for sure in Mandarin.

About downloading the file it appear to me that the file has been deleted, i will send a private message so i can ask you about the game, thank you.

One time Yu Suzuki said this about the anime... "the anime will be more accessible and can be enjoyed by small children.”

I love anime and some anime have this type of scenes that maybe some people will find this silly and other things, i don't have problems with rescue of Nozomi in this version. That forklift action with Mark is awesome in my opinion.

i love the game version but for the anime version i think it is a nice touch to give more screen time for the other characters, in my opinion was nice to see the other characters in action like this helping Ryo and Nozomi.

It is possible that in this version Ryo resigned from his job instead of being fired, that his boss Ryozo Yada and other people will never know that Ryo, Guizhang, Mark, Goro and Mai did all of this things and got rid of The Mad Angels.

In the game Ryo have many fights with the Mad Angels in the harbour, and Ryo is fired from his job before the 70 man battle. In the anime version is after the 70 man battle, after Guizhang said to him that he will talk with his father about helping Ryo to go to Hong Kong, i think Ryo in the anime version resigned from the job because probably Ryo knew that everything was already arranged to go to Hong Kong, so no more reason to work in the harbour.

The original plan was for Ryo to speak in chinese in the games? i never saw Yu Suzuki or other people of the team talking about this, interesting. Ryo speaking mandarin in this episode was a nice touch and i think this will happen sometimes in Hong Kong/Kowloon and Guilin.
I'm pretty sure I remember and interview where Yu mentioned that there was an intention for Ryo to start speaking basic Chinese upon his arrival in Hong Kong. If I find the source for that, I will throw it on here but I am pretty sure I can remember this being discussed on the old forums too.

I just find it funny that Ryo seems to be spamming Swallow Dive since he learned it. I think he did Elbow Assault once in the whole series so far lol

Sorry for being extremely picky, but shouldn't Ryo be studying Cantonese (and not Mandarin) if he's going to Hong Kong?
In the promo clip for Episode 6...
...we do in fact see Ryo holding a Cantonese study book.

AVvXsEg3q-XojBK8CYFTTgz0oYkJwXqpBiIpLZo5oDKRxgntQkn6V-A9WuKEuX7jr_2N9Z4lQrIe0sB_on7Gf-SEbs1ZY-eFI7X7jvqmAaxZDcoeuT4yAFuPVD2g1uMUn9hwWSXnzecVewMPCt4PwdmyIszcrAZlT3eWzes0laRxYvTEs57M0u_Mo99SUW1lVg=s1918

Ryo and Chen spoke in Cantonese with each other. And you are correct, Cantonese is what should be used in Hong Kong at all times. Though most of the younger generation in HK studies Mandarin in school, no one really speaks that in their daily lives unless dealing with mainland tourists or doing business with them.

With this episode the anime team put together the rescue of Nozomi with the 70 man battle, in the game it's not like that, in the game Ryo save Nozomi first then Ryo go home, the next day Ryo lose his job, learn Tornado Kick with Tom, the goodbye scene with Tom and only after that Ryo VS Guizhang fight and the 70 man battle.

It is interesting how the anime team put together the rescue of Nozomi in the same part of the 70 man battle.

I love the anime but some things i think is more emotional in the game, because to me Nozomi's Confession for Ryo and everything about Nozomi and Tom leaving Japan is emotional and much more, in the anime it is clear to me that Nozomi decided to go to Canada but Ryo don't know about that. I like the anime version as well, it is a different version and i'm okay with that.

The anime is adding even more things to the story and lore of Shenmue like more development for Guizhang with his father, more development for Goro and Mark, more screen time for Shenhua, for Lan Di, Nozomi and much more, we lose in some areas but we win in others, the anime is a beautiful companion to the games, and also stands on its own as a good way to experience this wonderful journey.

Some details i prefer the games version but other details i prefer the anime version. Like i said other time, the anime complement the games and the games complement the anime, if someone want to have the complete Shenmue experience then i recommend the anime and the games.

Yeah in second thought, I've loved every episode, and 5 isn't an exception to that. However, I think it's my least favorite of them all. Like, I'd give it maybe a 7 or so, meanwhile most of the time I give them an 8 or 9.

The thing is the final chapter in shenmue 1 really drives home an emotional feeling that ryo is leaving everyone behind and no one can stop him. His lust for revenge oversaturates anything else in his life. The walk through dobuita in those final moments of the game, Ryo reflecting on Nozomi before he boards the boat, Her confession, the long winding motorcycle scene, the game had set up so much more to leave the player emotional in the final hours. And let's not forget the soundtrack haha. The movie directors were top notch so they knew what they were doing.

Unfortunately, the anime doesn't have the luxury of the runtime that a video game has. I understand why they did some of these changes for episode 5, and some I even like (Nozomi deciding to move to Canada only after she realizes Ryo has changed and will be leaving Japan) And while I do like that avengers moment with Ryos friends in an Anime sense, I still prefer the original theme of Ryo saving Nozomi himself, it's like he earned her respect in the end.

All in all I'd still give the episode a 7-7.5/10. There is still a lot to enjoy with it, if only this series was a full 24 episode cour! This is Shenmue though so I can see why sega would be hesitant on spending that much on the series. A 13 episode anime is made to test the waters and see if a bigger season 2 is financially possible. Let's hope for the best!

Edit: And on a side note, to us fans Fuku San and Ine San fully supporting Ryo on his journey at the end of the episode feels so weird. I'm still not used to it lol. It feels like they're supporting murder, although Ryos motivations (might) be different here in the anime but we're yet to see if that's true.

Last edited:
The thing is the final chapter in shenmue 1 really drives home an emotional feeling that ryo is leaving everyone behind and no one can stop him. His last for revenge oversaturates anything else in his life. The walk through dobuita in those final moments of the game, Ryo reflecting on Nozomi before he boards the boat, Her confession, the long winding motorcycle scene, the game had set up so much more to leave the player emotional in the final hours. And let's not forget the soundtrack haha. The movie directors were top notch so they knew what they were doing.

The game have a different feeling in my opinion because we can play at our own pace, we can talk to all the NPCs anytime we want, we can learn many things about the NPCs and much more, so when Ryo walk in Dobuita for the last time seeing the NPCs on the street it feels so emotional to me, this combined with Nozomi and Tom leaving Japan and Ryo saying goodbye to Ine-san and Fuku-san and other characters feels so emotional. This is why i said in my previous post that some things are more emotional in the game to me.

Other details like the last conversation with Guizhang and Master Chen i thought it is a beautiful addition and was emotional, in the game don't have this part and i thought was a beautiful addition to the story more scenes and development for Guizhang with Master Chen, we saw different things about these characters in the anime and this is beautiful in my opinion, and this added so much to the story, i love the last conversation of Guizhang with Master Chen while seeing Ryo leaving Japan, Guizhang calling Master Chen father again and Master Chen accepting that, beautiful.

if only this series was a full 24 episode cour!

I think the same about this, i love the anime but i feel that with 24 episodes would have been even better, more time to do a lot of things, more time to show the other NPCs and even create nice stories for them in the anime with Ryo like what happened with Goro talking about his father, i love that the anime team expanded Goro like this. If the anime had more episodes the anime team could expand the story with Mark and his brother, expand the story of Nagai Industries and much more, i love Shenmue so much so would be so nice to have more content like this, but the things the anime team expanded in the anime is really beautiful, the Yokosuka arc have many interesting characters.

For example the photo of Ryo with Nozomi, Naoyuki and Ichiro appeared some times in the episodes but no sign of Naoyuki and Ichiro in the anime, when the photo appeared in the anime sometimes i always thought that would be nice to expand more the friendship of Ryo and Nozomi with Ichiro and Naoyuki, this way it would have been even more emotional about Ryo leaving Japan in my opinion, but this didn't happened and i understand why.

With 13 episodes it's understandable that the anime team needed to cut a lot of things and did some changes. The anime is a different version of the story and i'm okay with that, i love the anime is just that some details i prefer the games version and other details i prefer the anime version.

A couple of stills showing Ryo shaking hands with Tom and Yagamishi before cutting to the harbour would've really helped. At the end of the day they still managed to tell a lot of story in 20 minutes so I understand why those scenes didn't make the cut but it is what it is.

If those cuts were needed to make the Shenmue 2 arc really shine then I'm sure they can be forgiven..only time will tell

One thing I really liked in episode 5 was the guizhang fight from Ryos angle and the close miss of the swallow dives - making the initial dissapointment of the pan up of the camera in episode 4 actually make perfect sense.

They could show Ryo on the boat reminiscing about his goodbye through Yokosuka - so Tom could still show up yet.

Overall I've really enjoyed the Shenmue 1 arc, not gonna lie I was a bit concerned when Ryo was one shoting everyone early on but the later fights have been really great.

Super hyped for the rooftop showdown in S2.

Last edited:
If anyone want to see my analysis of the episode is now on the blog of the Dojo.

1646838044486.png

They did Tom dirty IMO also no Tornado Kick? Wtf? There's only so many times the Swallow Kick can help Ryo, I can't believe that move is more important than the Tornado Kick, Iwao's Chinese Iron Palm technique and even Yamagishi san's double blow all those story relevant moves missed out on makes me sad, great adaptation of the games but I'm seeing a ton of missed opportunities, I feel Tom should've had more screen time than Goro and Mai. Tom could've even helped fight, he clearly knows how to, would've been cool to see that side of him.

Ryo kicked Chai twice and beat him. The fight was like 20sec. Was anyone else laughing about how short the fight scene was?

Back