Shenmue: The Gang Edition - 20 Years Later...

Gang Entertainment

Mike Paprocki
Hi everyone, we're celebrating the 20th anniversary of our cult-classic fan movie, Shenmue: The Gang Edition! The movie has been re-released on our new website and on YouTube for the first time as a full-length movie (so not split into 8 different parts - cause back when we uploaded it like 10 years ago, YouTube still had restrictions on how long videos could be)!

We've gone back to the source files to re-edit and re-master the movie for a new generation of Shenmue fans to discover. The movie has been upscaled to HD resolution, which to be fair, doesn't do much when your source footage is VHS. Still, the movie looks better than it ever has online and includes a few tweaks to the edit as well. Not Snyder-cut level stuff, but we did have our Shen Hua actress Eileen record a brand new voiceover for the prologue to replace the in-game audio we used in previous releases!

This movie helped to launch our careers back in the day, thanks in no small part to the original movie being hosted on Shenmue Dojo and the amazing reaction we got from fans right here on these forums. If you've never seen our movies before, or you haven't watched them in a decade or so, now is a great time to do so! And we still love to hear from fans after all these years, so if you have any stories or memories of watching our movies back in the day, share them here!

Hard to believe that even this fan work is now 2 decades old. I only watched this years later but still, such a project so early after the game's release is impressive! Nowadays this kind of this is much more taken for granted.

The very basic production makes this feel even more nostalgic than it already is. There are so many good jokes based on a deep understanding of the game and its quirks. Thanks for bringing this back again! Instantly had to get my fix of the raffle ticket scene and the box hitting Kondo's head. Classic stuff!

Last edited:
I think I was thirteen when I first watched this, and I was obsessed with it. Nearly thirty now πŸ˜„

Best wishes to everyone in the Gang!

I always like coming back to these videos every once in a while. They remind me of the good ol’ days, so it’s cool to see this get a remaster! I thought that the opening prologue sounded really good. I really enjoyed coming back to this, thanks for uploading! :)

This is one of the most legendary and memorable pieces of Shenmue Fan content ever. It brings back a lot of memories.

So glad we have the full version rereleased on youtube.

Great work

I remember watching the movies as they first released! The first one was an instant classic for me, and I was much into Star Wars at the time too, so the lightsaber effects were actually really cool! πŸ˜… I remember watching the first one in particular with my best friend at the time and even he loved it!

Back