Shenmue Undub: Definitive Edition Released

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
It has been a few years since Shenmue Master & Phantom River Stone started work on a Shenmue Undub "100% translation" project, with the aim to build an Undub for the Dreamcast that would provide full Japanese audio with complete English subtitles.

It was built on top of the Kogami Undub, at that point the most complete version available.

The project was put on hiatus for a period due to various factors, but the time for release is here at last.

Dreamcast_Undub_Final.jpg
Awesome mock-up image by Shenmue Forever

Shenmue Undub: Definitive Edition! features:

- Full Japanese audio & English subtitles
- Built on the Kogami Undub
- Coca Cola branding as in the Japanese version
- No cut content
- Fits on standard CD-R discs

Info & download:

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2020/09/shenmue-undub-definitive-edition-video.html

So what exactly was re translated? If I may ask. The shop keep dialog? (“especially since you bought merchandise”]

Any chance of getting a GDI or at least CDI version? MDF/MSD doesn't play nice with the GDemu SD Card Maker.

Edit: A quick work around is putting the files on the card manually as they work fine on the GDemu it's self. Still would like an uncompressed GDI if it's possible.🙏

More edits: The YS logo sound has a crazy sound glitch that wasn't there before...

Last edited:
Awesome work! :love:

It's a shame my Dreamcast is broke and I have zero luck with them in general.
I've gone through four in the past two years because of various issues, the AV port broke on two systems, the third was resetting every five minutes and the fourth one was resetting too due to the GDEMU clone I purchased.
I've given up on them, it's unfortunate because Dreamcast is my favourite system. Now they just collect dust under my bed. 😞

Any chance of a re-release... release (lol). This would make for an awesome mod for the PC version.

Last edited:
So what exactly was re translated? If I may ask. The shop keep dialog? (“especially since you bought merchandise”]
Great question. The lines that needed to be translated from the Undub on which this was built were mainly for minor NPC interactions and formed about 3% of the total script..We deliberately left the classic quirky lines like the merchandise one, as they hold a lot of charm of their own!

There was one line that we did take the opportunity to make a minor correction for, after consideration. It's when Master Chen mentions that Lan Di is "the leader" of the Chi You Men in the English. We brought this into line with the original Japanese meaning which merely says he is one of its leaders.

1600306003450.png

There are some more details about what was translated here:

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2017/11/evolution-of-shenmue-undub-part-3.html

Nice! Got it downloaded this morning. Will throw it on the SD card and put it in the GD Emu and give it a go later.

Any chance of getting a GDI or at least CDI version? MDF/MSD doesn't play nice with the GDemu SD Card Maker.

Edit: A quick work around is putting the files on the card manually as they work fine on the GDemu it's self. Still would like an uncompressed GDI if it's possible.🙏
We don't have plans for producing a GDI version, but converting to CDI format should be possible as mentioned by @Sergeynest above.

The YS logo sound has a crazy sound glitch that wasn't there before...
Yes, it wasn't caught in time to fix 😥 but the main game isn't affected.

It's a shame my Dreamcast is broke and I have zero luck with them in general.
I've gone through four in the past two years because of various issues, the AV port broke on two systems, the third was resetting every five minutes and the fourth one was resetting too due to the GDEMU clone I purchased.
I've given up on them, it's unfortunate because Dreamcast is my favourite system. Now they just collect dust under my bed. 😞

Any chance of a re-release... release (lol). This would make for an awesome mod for the PC version.
Oh sorry to hear about all your console issues. For now you could run it up on an emulator. (I'm not sure there would be any benefit in a mod for the I & II rerelease, as it provides an undub experience out of the box?).

Now I'm very curious how did the rerelease handle all of that 3% dialogue that was untranslated when playing with Japanese voices? Wonder if d3t themselves translated that remaining text or was all that dialogue omitted altogether to match the dub? Wonder if anyone knows.

Can you provide some details about how to burn the files to a disc?
Others here could probably advise on the exact steps, but you could try the free trial version of Alcohol 120% which should let you burn the images to disc.

Edit:
Now I'm very curious how did the rerelease handle all of that 3% dialogue that was untranslated when playing with Japanese voices? Wonder if d3t themselves translated that remaining text or was all that dialogue omitted altogether to match the dub? Wonder if anyone knows
I'd be interested to know too. There migtt be some clues to be had by comparing specific dialogue sections.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know too. There migtt be some clues to be had by comparing specific dialogue sections.
The 3% is entirely missing in the re-release. d3t matched a Japanese voice track to every English voice track, but the game is a port of the English Dreamcast (PAL probably) version, so you still have the English voice timings and the English version dialogue. It's very frankensteined. I uploaded the initial work for a proper undub mod some time ago.

Managed to convert MDF/MSD to CDI and already tested it out on my android phone on the Redream Emulator and so far it is working fine.
How did you convert it? I tried mounting the image and ripping with DiscJuggler but it seemed to only produce images that don't work.

Last edited:
How did you convert it? I tried mounting the image and ripping with DiscJuggler but it seemed to only produce images that don't work.
I use a software program called Daemon Tools to create a virtual drive of the files; then I selected that drive on DiscJuggler to create the cdi file.

Now I'm very curious how did the rerelease handle all of that 3% dialogue that was untranslated when playing with Japanese voices? Wonder if d3t themselves translated that remaining text or was all that dialogue omitted altogether to match the dub? Wonder if anyone knows.

I've recently played the re-release with the Japanese dub and the 3% of text just appears with Japanese text, untranslated, but you do hear the Japanese audio.
It's basically the same as the older, Kogami release of Shenmue Undub.

I've recently played the re-release with the Japanese dub and the 3% of text just appears with Japanese text, untranslated, but you do hear the Japanese audio.
It's basically the same as the older, Kogami release of Shenmue Undub.
That's not true? Those lines don't appear at all. Are you sure you don't have a mod installed?

I use a software program called Daemon Tools to create a virtual drive of the files; then I selected that drive on DiscJuggler to create the cdi file.
Ah, yep Daemon Tools (Lite in this case) did it! Must not have been working due to the mounting software I was using. Thanks.

Back