Shenume 1 locks up on Disc 3

Hey, been playing Shenmue on my Dreamcast with the original discs, and I've loved it so far. But I've just gotten to Disc 3 and I keep encountering a problem.

I'm at the Start File for Disc 3 (In-Game Day Dec.31st), and I can't get far into the day without the game locking up. The audio continues as normal, but the on-screen action freezes and nothing I press on the controller does anything. Nothing happens even after 5 minutes pass and I have to reset/power down and begin the day again. It's happened most often when I look at the moves scroll for Ryo (and it's when I have to look at it when exiting practice mode), but it also happened when I entered the Hazuki Dojo from the Hidden Basement after putting a light bulb in, and when loading Dobuita after the first Disc 3 cutscene.

I looked at the underside of the disc and it was slightly smudgy and had one tiny nick on it that could be a scratch, but even after a microfiber cloth wipedown and a polishing with this "Disc Skip Fixer" kit that was lying around, which seemed to correct those minor flaws, it still locks up, at the same places.

So what I'm asking is, is this a problem anyone else has encountered? Do you know of a fix for this? And why is this happening? Is it my disc, or the Dreamcast, or is this an in-game glitch? After these locks happened, I played SA1 and 2 and they seemed fine, my Dreamcast seem to access all parts of those discs fine. And I've never needed to turn my Dreamcast upside-down for anything. And that's for a Dreamcast unable to read a disc in the first place usually.

And while I doubt it has any relevance, I might as well let you know that my Passport Disc doesn't work either. I only got it to boot up once and it booted me back to the system menu not long in. Looking at the underside, I think it's just disc rot sadly. And no, there isn't disc rot on Disc 3 as far as I can see.

Update: I ordered a replacement Disc 3 not long after I made this post from eBay, and it arrived yesterday. Opening it today, it turns out it wasn't properly protected during shipment and the disc arrived with a horrible crack and an less horrible crack.

I don't know what I'm going to do now. I'm not gonna buy another Complete in Box copy when I only need 1 maybe 2 discs replaced, and I dislike shopping on eBay. But it doesn't look like i have a choice, so it looks like I'll have to roll the dice again. Hopefully I'll get a refund soon.

Back