"Shin Shōryūken" Hidden Move in Shenmue Unlocked After 20 Years

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
This is neat! Around last year a former AM2 developer hinted at a special move that had been left somewhere in Shenmue's code, but that it would need some hacking to uncover. And now a fan in Japan has done exactly that, successfully unlocking this "Shin Shōryūken" move which can't be produced through normal control input.

Once the hack is applied, Ryo uses it against Goro in the harbor blackmail QTE scene.

Blog post:
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/06/shin-shoryuken-hidden-move-in-shenmue.html

Holy... Shenmue has been surprising me for years with all sorts of findings but nothing quite like this.
Don't even recall someone mentioning a hidden move, maybe I just forgot about it. This is incredible!

Is this directly linked to this Goro scene or does someone just really love to punish the bro? Peter's gonna love this. :LOL:
The animations and camera angles are awesome and surely make it look like it belongs there but was it actually in the files for this scene? I'd really like to know how the search and implementation into the game went for this.

This is from twitter links
D86roBfUcAAC5je.jpg:large
so it should be simple hex edit of file. Does anyone have a save file to start of disc 2 to test it?
also i think this file located in "SCENARIO\act02_MKYU.SCN" for those who don't want to edit archive itself.

Ok it works!
So here is save file right before the QTE.
also a modified file for forklift loader(extract into mods folder) for those who don't want to edit archive itself.
That's great!

I've updated the post with a hand-translation of the notes the guy left about his mod, but I'll also add a link to your post here with the ready-to-go files.

Last edited:
I wonder how something like this comes about. Is the shenmue source code actually out there for someone to look at and play around with?

I wonder how something like this comes about. Is the shenmue source code actually out there for someone to look at and play around with?
Using modern tools like a decompiler it's possible to dig into the released code to work out what's going on. It definitely takes persistence!

So there is in fact a button combination you could perfom during the QTE for Ryo to do this but it's so hard that it's not possible for a human? That's great but a shame, I mean if it would be possible to do this by hand it would still be an unbelievable secret.

Now I wonder if there are other scenes where they hid this move. Imagine doing this on Chai!

Back