Should I give Shenmue III another chance?

Should I replay Shenmue III again?

• Yes

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I hope you will get out more the game this time. I personally had no problem with the game at all. But i did not expect a big Story jump. I just wanted more Shenmue and that's what I got. To speak in anime terms it was more a filler episode than a true story episode. I did not mind because I was amd I am still craving for any Shenmue stuff I can get. If you expected more story wise than it was a let down for sure.

Gameplaywise I cannot stand the Stamina system to be honest but from the point of view of the Story it is perfect. It just shows Ryo is a normal guy that has to eat, and to exercise to become stronger and make it through the day. It brought the simulation aspect to the next level which is not bad.

But if you consider Shenmue 3 as a game for fun then such elements could turn some people off. It is not a game that you can play just for a short time and get instant gratification. You have to learn to by patient, work and exercise hard to progress. In that Game you you do not play Ryo you are Ryo in a manner of speaking. Because you have to the similar obstacles as he does in the game.

It is not your typical video game experience. It is something else.

It is not for eveybody and I can totally understand why some people do not like certain elements of the game.

I just started the game again yesterday. I only played for about 25 minutes. I think most likely one of my main problems in my first playthrough is that I expected it to be more like Shenmue II in terms of story.

Yu suzuki did say shenmue 3 would be more of an inward experience.

As someone said, a lot of the story and character progression in shenmue 3 is done by in game conversations with npcs at specific times. These can easily be missed.

Shenmue 2, everything is cutscene focused so you dont miss anything.

That said though, the shenmue 3 story is still lacking, and honestly i dont think baisha would have made much of a difference. Shenhua would have been kidnapped in baisha and youd have to infiltrate a base to rescue her, lan di fight etc. It probably would have felt more appropriate and less rushed though

With that said, i still loved shenmue 3. I am curiois about what i will think on my second playthrough.

Not sure why but i never had an issue with the stamina bar. Horse stance for one day or casually through multiple days in the morning and you're good

I’ve enjoyed Shenmue 3 more and more with each subsequent playthrough. That said, all bar two of my playthroughs were in new game plus mode and one of the two that wasn’t used Cheat Engine to increase money and tokens as well as a 3x speed jump to make some of the more grindy elements like capsule collecting go a little faster (it was an all achievement run).

Yu suzuki did say shenmue 3 would be more of an inward experience.

As someone said, a lot of the story and character progression in shenmue 3 is done by in game conversations with npcs at specific times. These can easily be missed.

Shenmue 2, everything is cutscene focused so you dont miss anything.

That said though, the shenmue 3 story is still lacking, and honestly i dont think baisha would have made much of a difference. Shenhua would have been kidnapped in baisha and youd have to infiltrate a base to rescue her, lan di fight etc. It probably would have felt more appropriate and less rushed though

With that said, i still loved shenmue 3. I am curiois about what i will think on my second playthrough.

Not sure why but i never had an issue with the stamina bar. Horse stance for one day or casually through multiple days in the morning and you're good
The nightly conversations with Shenhua alone made this game for me :)

I think if you rush through it going story beat to story beat you will be inevibtably dissapointed with it. I didn't do that my first playthrough, I spent 60 hours on that first playthrough just living in the world and found that was where I got most of my joy from it. The daily routine was always relaxing and fun to me. The nightly conversations in Bailu were wonderful. Even spacing out the phone calls night by night in Chobu were great and made up for the lack of conversations with Shenhua at that point. I think if you take your time with it and just soak in its world then it's a wonderful experience all around...even with its story woes. And in many ways, I would say it's almost Shenmue perfected as it gives us the best of the first game done better. ALMOST though; it lacks in other areas...that being story telling and fighting system which Shenmue II still does best of the series so far.

But yeah SIII; if you remove all expectations, that game is a really good Shenmue game that fall short of greatness. If only it had Shenmue II's story telling, QTEs and fighting system. Then it would have been a contender for best in the series so far.

The nightly conversations with Shenhua alone made this game for me :)

I think if you rush through it going story beat to story beat you will be inevibtably dissapointed with it. I didn't do that my first playthrough, I spent 60 hours on that first playthrough just living in the world and found that was where I got most of my joy from it. The daily routine was always relaxing and fun to me. The nightly conversations in Bailu were wonderful. Even spacing out the phone calls night by night in Chobu were great and made up for the lack of conversations with Shenhua at that point. I think if you take your time with it and just soak in its world then it's a wonderful experience all around...even with its story woes. And in many ways, I would say it's almost Shenmue perfected as it gives us the best of the first game done better. ALMOST though; it lacks in other areas...that being story telling and fighting system which Shenmue II still does best of the series so far.

But yeah SIII; if you remove all expectations, that game is a really good Shenmue game that fall short of greatness. If only it had Shenmue II's story telling, QTEs and fighting system. Then it would have been a contender for best in the series so far.
summed up my thoughts exactly.

Back