Should Suzuki remake the first two Shenmue games?

Suzuki should focus on Shenmue 4, 5 and other brand new games.

I hope Sega will develop full remakes of the first 2 Shenmue games with cutting edge technology, something like Shadow of the colossus remake.

The HD releases were pretty disappointing and aren't good for future "preservation" since they are broken and full of bugs, they just wasted the opportunity.

They could make a brand new HD remaster in future, this time made flawlessly by Sega Japan, but at this point it's better to stick to Dreamcast originals and see instead some kind of different experience in the form of full remakes of 1 & 2, that would be more interesting for both new and old audiences.

I'd take a remaster of Shenmue 3 over a remake of the originals. Something like Persona 5: Royal. Shenmue 3 but with the additional content that they couldn't squeeze into the game the first time (Niao Sun's role fleshed out more, Baisha, throw moves, etc).

I would really like a remake of Shenmue 1 and 2 just to listen to the music in much better quality there were so many tracks that never got released with the soundtrack. And the 2nd game had so many great music but Sega never released the official soundtrack and after listening to some of Shenmue 2 music in the 3rd game in higher quality they sound amazing.

Looking at the manpower and effort it took to just get one disc of Final Fantasy VII remade, I'm going to say no. While I would love for it to happen, I'd rather have Shenmue IV instead.

If it did happen, I don't think it would be worth it unless all of the missing chapters originally planned for the the games were included (the boat chapter and Suzhou). I think Yanglang was originally supposed to show up in Suzhou (based on the GDC cards). I'd like to think that Suzhou is where the faceless chiyoumen members give Yanglang his orders to raid Bailu.

As I've stated in the past, I am not against a reboot of the Shenmue series. I honestly wish that Shenmue was successful for SEGA like Ryu Ga Gotoku. If that were the case, Shenmue would've no doubt been given the "Kiwami" treatment by now. Where I disagree with you is that the first two games should be given Shenmue III's mechanics. If anything, Shenmue III should be remade to fall in line with the first two games.

In an ideal world, a Shenmue I & II remake would be given the royal treatment.

- Development would be spearheaded by both AM2 and Bluepoint Games.
- Graphical quality equal to that found on Unreal Engine 5 running at a perfect sixty frames per second.
- FLAC audio
- Have the combat system of Virtua Fighter V: Final Showdown.
- Arcade perfect emulation of Suzuki's past games
- Improved controls (though one could switch to the originals if desired)
- Superior motion blur
- No loading times
- Extras would include: All the content found on the Shenmue Passport, various "Making of Shenmue" interviews with Suzuki throughout the years, the Shenmue comic, etc.

Sadly though, this will probably never come to fruition. For me, Shenmue's story is a tragic one, as it's one of the few series I believe is a masterpiece whose life was cut short. The series deserves nothing but the best.

Last edited:
Back