Should the Shenmue Anime bring back the original voice actors for Ryo?

Should the Shenmue Anime bring back the original voice actors for Ryo?

• Yes. Corey and Masaya for life!

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • They should bring back Corey but replace Masaya.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • They should bring back Masaya but replace Corey.

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Replace them both. It’s time for some new blood.

Votes: 13 17.6%

• Total voters
Someone they definitively should bring back is Brianna for whatever few lines Shenhua will have in this (the prophecy?). I think she did great in Shenmue III.

I like the main English cast and would love it if they say least brought back Corey, Eric, Paul, and Lisle, but if they were all recast, I wouldn't be heartbroken. This is a new project. My opinion may change once I get to see it, but as long as the cast is consistent in the games, I'm fine with keeping a different cast for the show.

As awesome as it would be to bring back all the original voice actors that they possibly could. I believe that it's time to give other people a shot. Plus it won't affect the games. So I would like to see other people's take on these beloved characters. If they did bring back the originals though then Ruth Hollyman back for Nozomi should be at the top of the list. The woman that did it in 3 was absolutely atrocious.

My concern with trying out new actors is that once Corey and Masaya are out, then they'll be pushed out for good. If the anime somehow manages to attract new fans, I would imagine they'd be surprised to hear different voices in the games.

My concern with trying out new actors is that once Corey and Masaya are out, then they'll be pushed out for good. If the anime somehow manages to attract new fans, I would imagine they'd be surprised to hear different voices in the games.

Good points that honestly didn't dawn on me til reading your post. I bet if I was a new fan then it would definitely be jarring to me as well. but I would hope they'll do some research and come to the understanding that Corey and the gang were the originals and that the anime is a nice detour but not the main attraction. Hopefully it'll be like Yu has said it's for the fans though any addition of new ones is more than welcome. I'm not expecting much from it but it'll find its nice niche corner of the anime world. Also hopefully by the time the anime is out I'm guessing 2022 an announcement of IV had already happened or isn't too far behind. So it's a win win for everyone.

Maybe it's the wrong way to look at it, but I'm considering this anime almost exclusively in pragmatic terms: build the fanbase through the anime to help the games reach completion. If it's also good as an anime on its own merits, all the better.
To that end, I say choose voice actors who will make it as successful as possible.

I'm sure the anime will have enough charm for us established fans; as such, I'd be willing for the anime to cut some artistic corners (i.e., new VAs) if it helps IV and V come to be.

Last edited:
This is true, but it would be no less jarring for them than it would be for us when we start watching the anime - but as weird as it would be at first - I’m pretty sure I could get past it.

Who knows. Maybe they’ll bring in new actors who are so incredibly perfect for the roles that even fans of the games will want them to appear in the games too?

I love Corey, but I'm not really attached to any of the English VA's... Okay maybe with the exceptions of: Lan-Di's original voice, and Tom.

Get the best people for the job, so that the series is presented well. "Best" for me would ideally be a combination of skill and popularity. Steve Blum for Ren? :unsure:

Last edited:
I dont have anything against Corey Marshall and back in the day i didnt question it at all.
Corey Marshall was Ryo. I never thought of it as bad or weird, it was just Ryo.

But if i imagine the young Ryo in his white shirt now, the Ryo who didnt start his Shenmue journey yet,
who will even maybe get some added pre Shenmue 1 scenes in the anime
and then he has the adult voice of Corey like in Shenmue 3 or even "more adult" now.
No, i think thats not good.
Its 2020, this anime project should get a serious and high quality adaption.
I think this wont work with the original voice actors from 20 years ago.

I mean that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing...

I’m good with keeping with Masaya as he has a pretty good track record with voice acting anime. If they do change him it probably won’t be the end of the world though.

Corey, as much as he’s nostalgic, I don’t think should do the anime. That makes me feel dirty because it’s hard for me to imagine another English Ryo. Maybe it’s the direction, maybe it’s his skills or more likely a mixture of both.

This is the chance for the series(in anime form) to start fresh with a different voices. I’m torn between this anime being more for the fans or for newcomers. Corey would be there preach to the converted. It’s more important to me to get a higher quality VA for potential new Shenmue fans.

Replace them all.

Voice continuity is decisive for children who urge to believe. Shenmue audience just want the best.

If Corey can come across less unnatural and stunted than he does in the games (which should be more than possible with some decent direction and context), then I have nothing against him reprising the role. As long as it’s a quality job though. If this turns out to be a problem then recasting should be done though. We all want this anime to be as professional as possible and the VA is a massive part of it.

Ive mostly played Shenmue in Japanese with Eng subs though so I would like Masaya to stay on.

I guess at the end of the day I’m not overly attached to either actor, so as long as whoever comes in does the job at a professional standard, then I’ll be happy.

I'm betting Corey and Brianna are in...Brianna doesn't tweet about Shenmue outside of a release or news/interview piece. Corey might be simply being supportive, but I can't see Brianna doing that.

Back