Sigh the utter disrespect towards Yu Suzuki is appalling

I just had a major gaming youtuber, who's "46" years old, say the dumbest BS.

In just talking, he says Miyamoto, and Sakurai are the best in the industry. I figure no big deal, he probally just forgot Yu Suzuki(as none of his favorite games are made by him), so I say what, no Yu Suzuki?

That's when things get weird, he starts playing dumb, like he doesn't know who he is(which I know for a fact he knows who he is, and what games he had made), by acting like he doesn't know how to say his name(even though I spelt it out for him, and he's clearly reading my post in the stream)

Then after me trying to post as many accolades you can fit in 200 characters, he kept trying to discredit such. Then he tried to make it a popularity contest, where he said Sakurai has admiration from millions of fans, thus implying Yu Suzuki doesn't. Then he he started making it all about business, which I said even if you discount the Shenmue games(he doesn't like them), are you forgetting about things like Outrun, afterburner, ect, and he saved a entire industry.

He outright ignored the games I mentioned, and then moved to saying, no he didn't save the entire industry, and there's no evidence of such(maybe he thought I was talking about the console industry to be fair, but if he didn't ignore the games I posted, he wouldn't have made that mistake in the firstplace, but then again, everyone knows Nintendo saved the console industry, and he knows I know that too, so WTF). Me catching onto that fast, I say the arcade industry, It's well documented, It's not a opinion. He pauses for 10 seconds, and then says, well that's just Japan.

Last edited:
Damn typo

Lol, it was just my poor attempt at humour :p

But on topic, it doesn't at all surprise me how Yu-san is treated these days by people who claim to know & love gaming.

He ushered in so much they take for granted today.

I feel Sega owe him more than what they do for him today too.

Lol, it was just my poor attempt at humour :p

But on topic, it doesn't at all surprise me how Yu-san is treated these days by people who claim to know & love gaming.

He ushered in so much they take for granted today.

I feel Sega owe him more than what they do for him today too.
Oh lol.

Yea so true sigh.

Yea this is definitely true, but seeing how Yu Suzuki basically made Sega(just trying to find a old school Sega game, that sold well/people give a damn about, and didn't involve Yu Suzuki, is quite the challenge), there's nothing more that can really be done. Sami Isn't going to say ok Sega(whoever the CEO is atm, I forget), you can give Sega to Yu Suzuki lol.

Tbh, I have no idea who Yu Sazuki is either... 😅
Rly?

I mean, I can accept you dont know Yu Suzaki, or Yu Suzuko, but not knowing the legendary Yu Sazuki? It's like you dont know Shigeru Miyamato or Masahiro Sokurai

CHOKE THAT BITCH OUT
Well every so often a discussion that warrants bringing Yu Suzuki's name up happens, so next time such a discussion happens, I'm planning to challenge him to a debate on the air. With how his is, I wager there's a 95% chance he'll accept.

Who is the YouTuber?

Who is the YouTuber?

Don't raid/bombard him or anything, I'll take care of him(when I'm done he'll be cowtowing to Yu Suzuki), but It's PlayerEssence.

He has a good channel, but he's alittle full of himself, and omg this was like the king of bad takes.

Last edited:
Don't raid/bombard him or anything, I'll take care of him(when I'm done he'll be cowtowing to Yu Suzuki), but It's PlayerEssence.

He has a good channel, but he's alittle full of himself, and omg this was like the king of bad takes.
Lol I'm not into all that anyway I'm just interested to see the clip.

Calm down, pal. I guarantee only a handful of us woulda known who Suzuki is had Shenmue never existed. Maybe some Virtua Fighter fans. It's not that big a deal.

What is a big deal is the fact I've just noticed Spud uses both 1987 & 1897. That needs to be changed. Immediately.

Calm down, pal. I guarantee only a handful of us woulda known who Suzuki is had Shenmue never existed. Maybe some Virtua Fighter fans. It's not that big a deal.

What is a big deal is the fact I've just noticed Spud uses both 1987 & 1897. That needs to be changed. Immediately.
What can I say, I'm a greedy bugger.

Lol I'm not into all that anyway I'm just interested to see the clip.
I'm shocked, but I don't think the stream has been uploaded yet. Pretty sure it was part of Sakurai's steve in smash gameplay showcase(not the announcement presentation, but early morning on the 3rd). Then everyone was commenting on the moveset, and he made the comment(s) after that segment.

He usually uploads the streams as a video afterwards, so I'll post it, if I see it.

Last edited:
The gaming industry isn't exactly the best at recording its own history and unlike other industries, there aren't that many named auteurs compared to say music and film. That said, Yu-san is certainly a respected individual (he won the lifetime achievement award at the Golden Joysticks last year), but I guess because he doesn't play the game other companies do these days (with their social media PR etc), he doesn't stand out as much.

His body of work speaks for itself and history has a way of weeding the true greats from the everyday artists, so whether it be now or down the line, Suzuki will be in the history books come what may.

Exactly that. Names in the video game industry either have to be actively searched for, or are recognised due to journalists talking about their work. Suzuki's been largely absent since the explosion of the Internet, so it stands to reason that he wouldn't be spoken of often enough to be the gamer equivalent of a household name.

I've known Mancs who've uttered the words "Who's Liam Gallagher?" and that is by far a more severe level of ignorance. So much so they've since been banished to the swamp further west (known to many by the name "Liverpool")

Exactly. And I think for most of us in our early/mid 30's we are now only experiencing a time where the younger generation don't know the things we like and for us it's very unusual. Now I know how my parents felt when I grew up and I thought their 60's and 70's music was crap (which since i've grown up, I now love).

It works both ways I guess. I have no idea who the hell many modern YouTuber's and celebrities are and am baffled at their popularity. In so much that Suzuki means a lot to us, kids these days love people like Ninja or whoever, whereas most of us are baffled by it.

History will be kind to Yu Suzuki. To me, he's the equivalent of director Terence Mallick or musician Matt Johnson (from The The). Both are well resepcted artists who went away for a decade or so, only to come back and resume their body of work to a certain level of acclaim. They don't reach the heights they once had, but they have a loyal and dedicated fanbase.

Aye, a few of the younger lads were baffled when I didn't know who the two YouTubers boxing were. I was similarly stunned when mentioning names like Ricky Hatton, Eddie Hearn, and Sugar Ray garnered the response of "What? Who?"

Back