SIII Character Model Discussion

I remember seeing pictures of Ryo months before the launch of Shenmue 1 and the model in the pictures was different than the final when the game was launched.
So don't worry about the lack of animations or dead eyes of this trailer, everything will be worked in due time to launch a nice game. Remember Suzuki was the first to introduce facial animation in the games (among other things).

The main problem I see with these characters is not their body animations ( those are fantásitc) even their facial animations, they are subtle but they are there.

The main problem is de dead eye look, to me it is not related to the eye animation ( in this case) it is related to the awfull ( or lack of in this case) of shading in their eyes it makes them look flat, I don't know who tought that humans have "light bulb bright" eyes but I don't for sure.

They MUST shade the eyes in a realistic manner to me is the worst thing about the trailer, the eyes look like
200^W light bulbs.

Quick photoshop to illustrate the huge difference.

Original trailer

TJ2qzOW.png

Eyes Shaded.

kRIsoXr.png

ezgif-2-360da2aec7.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The main problem I see with these characters is not their body animations ( those are fantásitc) even their facial animations, they are subtle but they are there.

The main problem is de dead eye look, to me it is not related to the eye animation ( in this case) it is related to the awfull ( or lack of in this case) of shading in their eyes it makes them look flat, I don't know who tought that humans have "light bulb bright" eyes but I don't for sure.

They MUST shade the eyes in a realistic manner to me is the worst thing about the trailer, the eyes look like
200^W light bulbs.

Quick photoshop to illustrate the huge difference.

Original trailer

TJ2qzOW.png

Eyes Shaded.

kRIsoXr.png

VhU1NyB.gif
Nice work. I can see your point here. Hopefully this is done as it certainly makes them look good.

@Esppiral Yeah, the eye shading in the Gamescom trailer did not look good. I assume that look isn't final though. In fact Ryo's and Shenhua's eyes looked better shaded to me in the THQ video, or at least like they had more depth, which leads me to believe the Gamescom eyes were older versions.

I am just going to say that, along with facial and animations,
the models showed a lack of flowing elements.
(Lan Di's hair and Shenhua's do not seems to move,
and the same applies to Ryo's Jacket that stays stuck to him.)

As it has been said it is more than probable that those would be added latter.
But, I think this "plastic feel" may mainly come from the fact that
the model parts that could "flow with the wind" stay stuck in place, for now.

Like i said, i don't think the models are bad, it's just a combination of little details and flaws like some overblown ligthing, those flat-shaded eyes, questionable shaders or lack therof (also, i've noticed that most UE games tend to have a slight plasticky look anyway) that make them look way worse than they are. They're like work-in-progress sketches that still need detail to become actual drawings.
This situation it's so strange.

The eye shading reminds me of mass effect andromeda before patch.
Lan Di looks OK but he needs a few important changes:

- he looks to young. e.x. wrinkles on the forehead missing
- head shape
- nose
- eyebrows
- mouth
- thicker eyelashes
- more defined jaw line and cheeks

rTfkqxR.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They were working on the trailer a few days ago from the actual reveal, I don't think they're older models, just bad compression or ingame/loded character vs cutscenes ones, and the models of Shenhua/Ryo scene were just animated while these aren't fully animated scenes yet (also video compression probably doesn't do the texturing favors).
The faces look dead because they haven't added even random eye movement and Idle faces animations.
I don't know, everytime I see a SIII trailer for the first time I go "fuck, this looks rough", then after various rewatches I start to like them (still, not really a fan of the art direction for characters, they still look too glossy), and that the characters outsourced look kinda better than the main ones done by the YSnet team.
The light setup for characters is still overblown also.
I'm just assuming this will be more likely what we will get.

Ok so:

Why do you think you have any right to be influential in this game?

A Shenmue 3 petition of over 60,000 signatures was not enough to get it made, so why should 30 messages on a small message board make any sort of difference?

Why do you assume you speak for every person on this planet? That they agree with the current criticisms, and that absolutely everyone wants to see such changes made?

I agree 100%

Besides, maybe the team of Ys Net is not the best in the world but they are still professional with a great background for at least some of them and I believe that they know what they are doing

Every body has an opinion and can tell what he thinks, but in the end i have more trust in the developement team than someone in a forum (eventhought i agree, everything is not perferct, but in my opinion mostly it is not bad at all., I would even say it is pretty good.

Maybe you are a great artist, or art director or whatever (or maybe not) but if it is the case feel free to contact the studio in your own name to work on the project

To come back to the subject, I think in the most case the problem don't come frome the character model, but frome the lighting.
For exemple the scene in the last trailer with the old man, or the scene with Lan Di where he has the sclera of the eyes almost 100% white

For me, the biggest problem with the models is their lack of realism. The models used in the original games were about as realistic (from a graphical point of view) as the environment which they populated.

The new engine has allowed the team to create some fantastic looking settings but they have not developed the character models to the same extent; making them look out of place.

I agree with the above poster that the lighting doesn’t help the situation either. It highlights the character models in a way that further emphasises the differences in realism between the models and the environments.

I’d like to see them do something similar to LA Noire and make the models look like real people rather than video game characters. I’m sure some fans might not like them to go in that direction though.

I remember seeing pictures of Ryo months before the launch of Shenmue 1 and the model in the pictures was different than the final when the game was launched.
So don't worry about the lack of animations or dead eyes of this trailer, everything will be worked in due time to launch a nice game. Remember Suzuki was the first to introduce facial animation in the games (among other things).

Just being the devil's advocate here....why launch a trailer then?

Looks like the character models are still being worked on which is why I'm not too bothered about it at the moment. I figured stuff like this is the reason why we hadn't really been getting much footage of the game so far due to WIP stuff like this that anyone could easily pick apart. Lan-Di's face makes me laugh since he almost has Ryo's facial features. It is as if Ryo is fighting himself the whole time if you know what I mean in some strange symbolic way (don't take me seriously about that). Ryo's face looks much better, but I have to get used to him looking more skinny though. Shenhua looks good so far to me personally. She looks much better than her earlier models.

Yeah that's it isn't it, too skinny compared to 1 & 2, surely Yu knows this.

Because they are damned if they do damned if they don't.

I guarantee you had nothing come out at Gamescom people would have been going off the walls about it. They can't win.

Back on topic the settings look fantastic. Yes I agree the models need work but let's reserve judgement just yet. There's a year left

Great conversation. Love hearing all the different opinions and perspectives. I've updated the op.

Personally, i don't think we have anything to worry about. It's important we remember what the beta models of Shenmue 1 and 2 originally looked like and compare them to the release version.

Shenmue BETA Models

Lan Di

D5EKCt7.png

Ryo

WrdRuAD.png

Terry

nXRTJNa.png

Massive differences and improvements can be seen in all the characters.

Shenmue 3 Model Comparison

Here are the current models of Shenhua and Ryo that have been revealed in Shenmue 3.

PLd307R.jpg

The models have received a ton of work and continue to change.

Last edited:
Shenmue 3 Model Comparison

Here are the current models of Shenhua and Ryo that have been revealed in Shenmue 3.

PLd307R.jpg

The models have received a ton of work and continue to change.

Shenhua's model has improved exponentially, while Ryo's model has left me longing for NoconKid's iteration. :crying:

h.png

Attachments

• h.png
    h.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Throwing dogs a bone, but what they got was half of one. I already knew that we are not getting much because of the issues that are still present right now. People kept on demanding footage, but they got what they want, and without consequences of what we are seeing now with the models right now.

Back