SIII Character Model Discussion

Yeah, it could be argued that Mr.Muscles doesn't look like he belongs in the Shenmue universe either, but then you look at this screenshot and he doesn't look out of place at all (at least in my opinion).

38e3f398c2.jpg

Took a few screencaps of buff guy and Ryo side-by-side. Video is a YouTube rip, so I added a little sharpening in Premiere to reduce the softness of the image.

s32019.00_00_48_12.sta2juo.jpg

s32019.00_00_49_22.stgdkf1.jpg

The aesthetic debate will likely rage on forever, but personally I don't think they're worlds apart. It looks like a cohesive image to me, even if obviously Ryo and buff guy are on opposite ends of the handsome and ugly/natural and exaggerated spectrums. It felt weirder seeing a face-scanned actor next to an artist-designed character when I was playing Yakuza Kiwami 2 earlier today.

I think what helps, overall, is technically you can't really fault the work Ys Net are displaying in this scene. Both characters are really well detailed, the lighting and colours are also really done too.

EDIT: Actually, I dunno why I've called him buff guy. He's more dadbod, but whatever.

Last edited:
Maybe I feel that way because I am an new fan and have seen many better games graphically wise before I played S1 and 2 for the first time. So these games always had a cartoon look.
This is a great point that shouldn't be overlooked. Most of us experienced Shenmue at a time when the characters were the most realistic depiction of a person we'd ever seen in a game. We were amazed by it and even took pride in it.

With Shenmue III I feel we're getting a modern interpretation of that original style which, in retrospect, wasn't overtly realistic, because "realistic" was impossible at the time. It was certainly detailed and gorgeous but also heavily stylised to work within the hardware limitations.

This is a great point that shouldn't be overlooked. Most of us experienced Shenmue at a time when the characters were the most realistic depiction of a person we'd ever seen in a game. We were amazed by it and even took pride in it.

With Shenmue III I feel we're getting a modern interpretation of that original style which, in retrospect, wasn't overtly realistic, because "realistic" was impossible at the time. It was certainly detailed and gorgeous but also heavily stylised to work within the hardware limitations.
This is a very valid point.

Yes sure thing, for 1999 standards Shenmue looked realistic. But it was clear from the start that it will be impossible to duplicate the impact Shenmue 1 had with 3s limited budget. I am somehow glad it won't. Ultra Realism in 2019 means you have the face of real actors scanned and put into the game. That would ruin Shenmue's art style for me. And I might be not be the only one.

look at the uproar the new characters models of Re 2 Remake caused. Some fans could not get over it that Leon and Claire look different than their CGC counterparts. Some fans might have felt similar with "real" people in Shenmue 3.

It is impossible to please everybody. I am personally more than happy with the old style. I would prefer it over the nwe style anytime. But that is just me.

I've been playing recently Yakuza Kiwami 2, Witcher 3 and Devil May Cry 5 and while these games are outstanding graphics wise, I don't see Shenmue 3 too far from them fanboyism aside. I think Unreal E4 helps to be on par in many aspects with these games and the knowhow of Suzuki and his team do the rest.

Suzuki could beat a record with this game, he will show how much he can do with so little budget. Artistically Shenmue 3 will be top, having in mind we haven't saw much of the game, the things we've seen looks so detailed and with a refined taste for decoration of the world.

You can't please everybody but, graphics wise, this game will surprise many people, it'll look much better than people think.

Retrolord brought up a very interesting point in how just a slight alteration in the image (I.E. reducing the softness and proper lighting) can make a world of difference. All of us know that YouTube compresses videos so image quality and detail suffer. Is there anyway to get the uncompressed video and images and contrast them against each other to see if its really just the game models or interference from video/image platforms?

Last edited:
look at the uproar the new characters models of Re 2 Remake caused. Some fans could not get over it that Leon and Claire look different than their CGC counterparts. Some fans might have felt similar with "real" people in Shenmue 3.
Yeah, you're right. I loved DMC5, but I still can't help but feel the scanned in actors cheapened the experience for me.

Yeah, you're right. I loved DMC5, but I still can't help but feel the scanned in actors cheapened the experience for me.
I'm not one for DMC games, but I did watch several videos on DMC5 nonetheless, and those faces look really out of place to me compared to the rest of the characters' designs. RE2R's faces look a bit better, but they also look kinda uncanny valley, not helped but the awkward hair of the RE engine (that DMC5 also shares). Shenmue 3 would only be harmed by using face scans for characters.

I have no Problem with the characters in DMC5 and Re 2. Was never DMC fan, and the DMC 5 is the first game of the franchise I finished and I really like. So no objections with the character design. I am old School Re fan but still like thenew design, because I never had a soft spot for old Leon and Claire. Claire's Design was changend in every Re Game anyway, she is the most inconsistent character in the Re Franchise and from all of her incarnations I like the RE 2 Claire the best.

But I still agree that it can be reallly strange when characters Change from a more traditional Video game look to a more realistic look.

I think that not every game needs it. Shenmue 3 does not look bad. it just looks different especially the character models but it does not look worse than other modern games. And the character models gave the game a Special Flair.

I've long pondered the evolution of my opinon of Shenmue gfx. Very true back in the day I was super proud about how they were the best ever for a while. Stubbornly claimed they were still better than some early 360 games as a teen haha

Always thought they aged so well, but could never put my finger on how a game which was considered top shelf visually still looks so good--bias aside. Usually, cutting edge graphics age poorly during the 5th and 6th generations (not talking about video resolution). The word "cartoony" never sat well, but last week an old descriptive sprang back to mind: arcade. The roots of AM2 are so obvious I dunno how it took so long to hit me. Despite being the antithesis of an arcade experience, in the very least, the visuals and art direction are related. Arcade games age much better to me, than ultra real console/PC games.

None of the models in Shen3 make me think they're out of place.

Last edited:
Yes sure thing, for 1999 standards Shenmue looked realistic. But it was clear from the start that it will be impossible to duplicate the impact Shenmue 1 had with 3s limited budget. I am somehow glad it won't. Ultra Realism in 2019 means you have the face of real actors scanned and put into the game. That would ruin Shenmue's art style for me. And I might be not be the only one.

It is impossible to please everybody. I am personally more than happy with the old style. I would prefer it over the nwe style anytime. But that is just me.
I'm okay with the character models. The warm color palette looks quite magical and if they get the music and atmosphere right, it should draw you right in. My main concern was that some of the characters looked like they could be much better using the same technology they are using but a lack of skill and/or effort have left them looking a little questionable.

Lan Di for example, when they first showed him he did not look anything like the Dreamcast model and the problem with that was, he never had that cold, menacing look. The new model looks better but still light years away from the Dreamcast version. Lan Di is a cold, heartless, skilled murderer and you get that all from his original Dreamcast model without him even speaking a word.

On top of this and art style aside, the main character models in the Dreamcast games look better than Shenmue 3 despite the game being released 20 years ago.

I'm okay with the character models. The warm color palette looks quite magical and if they get the music and atmosphere right, it should draw you right in. My main concern was that some of the characters looked like they could be much better using the same technology they are using but a lack of skill and/or effort have left them looking a little questionable.

Lan Di for example, when they first showed him he did not look anything like the Dreamcast model and the problem with that was, he never had that cold, menacing look. The new model looks better but still light years away from the Dreamcast version. Lan Di is a cold, heartless, skilled murderer and you get that all from his original Dreamcast model without him even speaking a word.

On top of this and art style aside, the main character models in the Dreamcast games look better than Shenmue 3 despite the game being released 20 years ago.

What ?
In what world ? Art style aside, there's no way the actual model looks worse than the original one. In no way. Be it modelisation, animations, polycount, textures, skin shading and such. They're leagues above the Dreamcast models and better than any previous generation models for the main characters.

Uh, the newest Lan Di model is definitely miles ahead than the Dreamcast model lol
View attachment 2807
This model is the gold standard for me. Certainly the best model they've made to date. If the rest look near this then we are in for a treat.

Back