SILVERBACK (short film)

Hey everyone,

This isn’t Shenmue-related, and I’m really fucking terrible at marketing (I feel embarrassed sharing this on this board, but what the hell), but I wanted to show off the trailer for my short film called SILVERBACK. It’s an action-drama short film.

*EDIT: NOW ONLINE!

Full film on Vimeo:

Full film on YouTube:

Trailer:

This was originally the first independent feature film I did back in 2012. It was inspired by a terrible break-up I had. When I first released the film online, it landed me in hot water with my ex at the time. I’ve taken that version of the film down since then, but I always thought there was a good story there. That’s why I decided to revisit it. Starting in 2018, I re-wrote, re-shot, and re-edited the entire film, integrating parts of the original. The resulting new film landed some awards when I screened it at a film festival last year. Then a few months ago, I realized that I just wasn’t satisfied with the patchwork job that I did. So since then, I re-edited the whole damn thing AGAIN into a 40-minute short film. I’ll be releasing it on my YouTube and Vimeo channels on June 25.

If anyone’s interested, then please check it out.

Last edited:
So I've watched the film and really enjoyed it a lot. I watched it with my wife and she found it a bit brutal. I guess it's more of a guys film. :LOL:

But I really love the film, dude. Keep up the hard work and you'll go very far in this business.

The hand-to-hand combat was kick-ass and I'm sure those scenes took the longest to shoot but what worked best was the inner monologues Richie has when he talks to the Ninja Pimp and to Janice.

By the way, did I notice a Suzhou River quote in those Janice flashback scenes, or am I imagining things?

Also loved the Fist of Fury quote when the Kung Fu guy gives you those liver punches in the backyard fight scene.

Thank you so much for watching! I know it’s very flawed, but I’m so happy that you and your wife enjoyed it.

Surprisingly, the fights were probably the easiest part of the process. The first two in the film were done in the same day, whereas the last fight’s shoot was spread over a few months.

And I’m so happy that you enjoyed the parts with the Gangster-Ninja Pimp and the monologues with Janice. It was actually THOSE parts that I was most nervous about. The writing for those scenes were the most complex that I’ve ever written, but also the most introspective. So much so that I was afraid that I would totally lose the audience (which is why I had to up the violence a bit ;).

I’ve actually never seen Suzhou River before, so I’m really curious about that quote you mentioned! And I didn’t even notice the Fist of Fury reference during the final fight. Good find! I guess we channeled Bruce Lee subliminally!

But man, thanks again so much for taking the time to watch my film. It means so much to me 👍

It was well worth watching! :D

IIt was the close-up shots of Janice's face which I mistook for a Suzhou River quote, but if you haven't seen it, you can't quote it.

:D

And as for the Fist of Fury reference, maybe the spirit of Bruce Lee invaded your subconscious. ;)

You'll notice the shot the next time you watch it. It's in the first fight scene at the Japanese dojo.

Back