SNK CEO turned down Epic Store Exclusivity & gives some info on the deal.

Exactly. Imagine Ys Net turning down tens of millions of dollars for a timed exclusive, just to appease less than 1% of Valve loyalists...who I’m sure will get their steam keys, not from their raging, but because they’re a drop in the bucket to the various streams of revenue available...

Yu Suzuki-sama and Ys Net are not idiots...they’re industry veterans who ran the numbers with Deep Silver and had to do what was best for Shenmue III and the Saga...

Does anyone know the ratio of Shemue 3 PS4 vs Pc?

You guys know the old adage---everything has a price.

It's kind of like the NBA. Yeah, you could stay an extra year in college..but when somebody waves those millions..

Chances are the cash injected into the project was pretty substantial. I hope it enables them to really clean and tighten the project in these coming months.

If they have enough funds to push it further back, I'm okay with that, if it ensures the most polished and fleshed out product we can get. But do right by the backers who vocalized their displeasure first.

You guys know the old adage---everything has a price.

It's kind of like the NBA. Yeah, you could stay an extra year in college..but when somebody waves those millions..

Chances are the cash injected into the project was pretty substantial. I hope it enables them to really clean and tighten the project in these coming months.

If they have enough funds to push it further back, I'm okay with that, if it ensures the most polished and fleshed our product we can get. But do right by the backers who vocalized their displeasure first.

Really the only thing they can do at this point is offer Epic and Steam keys. Maybe they can get Epic to cover the cost of Physical PC disc as well. I highly doubt they renege on the Epic deal.

And I’m pretty sure a Chinese company that’s dostributing Shenmue in China owns a piece of EGS.

And I’m pretty sure a Chinese company that’s dostributing Shenmue in China owns a piece of EGS.

Correct, it was previously announced on Kickstarter that distribution in China will be supported by Tencent through their PC platform, WeGame...

I love SamSho. I just paid off my preorder in full, but to think a fighting game would sell "millions" is ambitious, especially on PC. To me it feels like SNK knows its a reach for hundreds of thousdands of preorders as is, much less with a decreased userbase on EGS. People who like fighting games tend to REALLY like them. It's a niche genre nowadays. I don't think the EGS hurdle would have impacted SNK's bottom line as much as a Shenmue 3 which has garnered a decent amount of publicity over the years(For reasons good and bad).

SF5 took like 1 year+ to reach their goal of 2 million and that's with Ps4 and PC sales combined. Say what you will about SF5's warts upon its initial release, but Street Fighter is a name that commands more attention than SamSho and they only just reached 3 million sales this year. They made up a lot of ground via season passes and cosmetics, but still they undersold on their initial goal which was 2 million the first year. I guess SNK's strategy is getting it out to more people, but I really don't see think it would've effected them as much.t I guess they don't want to take any risks of pissing the MOB and word-of-mouth people off. The series has been dead for a while, so I guess it make sense that they would treat this situation delicately.

SNK CEO didn’t say he said SamSho would sell millions, but A million. The OP got his details wrong.

I think it can do a million. It has a lot of hype going behind it, it’s a return to form from a very popular franchise people are fond of.

Last figures I saw from 2017, non-mobile PC Market was roughly half of Console Market...and China was actually the #1 gaming market in the world...
Estimates suggest that there are about twice as many PC gamers than console gamers with less than one third of those console gamers being on PS4. In terms of market share, the potential audience for Shenmue 3 on PC is significantly larger.

Afaiaa, Deep Silver have never released figures detailing the split between PC and PS4 pledges for Shenmue 3, but a recent straw poll on the Shenmue reddit had PC copies just ahead at 52%. Not sure how reliable this data is though as reddit is more popular with younger folk and younger folk are more likely to game on PC (just like the dojo wouldn’t give the best reflection as being a bit older, a lot of us prefer console). There’s also no guarantee that the people who took part in the straw poll were actually backers and nothing stopping people voting multiple times.

If I had to guess, PS4 should be the more popular platform for Shenmue 3.

Estimates suggest that there are about twice as many PC gamers than console gamers with less than one third of those console gamers being on PS4. In terms of market share, the potential audience for Shenmue 3 on PC is significantly larger.

Afaiaa, Deep Silver have never released figures detailing the split between PC and PS4 pledges for Shenmue 3, but a recent straw poll on the Shenmue reddit had PC copies just ahead at 52%. Not sure how reliable this data is though as reddit is more popular with younger folk and younger folk are more likely to game on PC (just like the dojo wouldn’t give the best reflection as being a bit older, a lot of us prefer console). There’s also no guarantee that the people who took part in the straw poll were actually backers and nothing stopping people voting multiple times.

If I had to guess, PS4 should be the more popular platform for Shenmue 3.

Here’s more legitimate reports:

Biggest thing EGS needs to do is rectify their position in the industry. It is never too late to turn things around--

Their smugness and arrogance, coupled with a weak storefront seems to be their biggest problem. You solve that by being humble, not using your Fortnite Fortune to give everybody the finger by buying everything out rather than fix issues.

I once worked for a company who did that and now they are a couple years from death. Hey, GameStop. You suck.

Who's to say that the money wasn't for Shenmue IV as well? Maybe it is a more extensive deal than is public...

Also: 3207

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

PC physical copies are around 32% (rounded up) compared to PS4 physical copies. Yes, I'm aware the Kickstarter doesn't diffrentiate at the $29 physical tier, or the tiers above these with the more expensive rewards. But I do think it is indicative of the overall tally, at least from the Kickstarter. When the Kickstarter started to slow, the addition of a PS4 physical copy made it soar again. The people who planned on playing on Steam on launch day are a minority, I'm afraid. But they are a vocal minority...I'm sure the scorched earth policy of spamming all of the new Shenmue III trailers, articles, etc. with dislikes and negative comments and threats of a lawsuit are good for the series so many people said they'd take an Atari 2600 copy of years ago, just to finish the story. It doesn't reflect poorly on them at all. Are you happy? Let's make sure nobody can play this game, together!

Last edited:
Back