Some Questions Regarding Shenmue II

Sorry to be a bother, but I have a few annoying questions regarding Shenmue II.

First, in the scroll collection section of the pause menu in the HD remaster, there is a blue scroll right between where the Shenmue II scroll moves end and the Shenmue I ones begin: does anyone know what this is and where and how to get it? Looking around for an answer only brought up someone else asking the same question with nothing conclusive said about it. I'm really hoping it's just story related and granted somewhere at the end of the game.

Second, what are all the games you can unlock in the "Shenmue Collection" option on the main menu? Neo Darts doesn't appear to be one of them for some reason (unless it's bugged), and there are five to unlock below the regular darts that I have no idea what they should be. None of the many gambling games I've played have unlocked there.

And finally, are there any videos of anyone legitimately beating Afterburner? I can find only one video of a full arcade playthrough (none from any Shenmue players) and it appears to be tool-assisted for the purpose of showing off the entire game. Or does anyone have any strategies they could share? The certificate for this game is the very last collectible item I need from both games, besides the aforementioned scroll that I'm unsure about, and after having played it for an hour or so earlier I'm having doubts as to whether I can actually accomplish it.

If anyone could answer any or all of these, I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
Hey sorry for the late reply!

My memory might be hazy, but I think the missing scroll you're talking about is the "Mysterious Scroll" from Shenmue 1. It's above the Kanji wall scroll plaque in the Dojo. You have to look at the plaque so that Ryo says "I can't reach it", then walk over to the stool nearby and press A by it. Ryo will climb up move the plaque and reveal a hidden scroll. Read the scroll to find out that it's in Chinese. When you are at the harbour and have met with Master Chen and Guizhang, using a telephone ring the warehouse again, Guizhang should answer and Ryo will say that he would like to meet up. Guizhang says "come if you must", go to the old warehouse number 8, and Guizhang will translate the scroll for you :) - you can now read it again and it should learn a move.

For the Shenmue 2 collection, i'm guessing you're missing the Darts minigames. Around Shenmue 2 there are...5 darts players. Speak to them and they'll offer you to challenge them, they all have their own styles of play, which is why it's considered 5 different mini games!

Hope that helps :)

Hey sorry for the late reply!

My memory might be hazy, but I think the missing scroll you're talking about is the "Mysterious Scroll" from Shenmue 1. It's above the Kanji wall scroll plaque in the Dojo. You have to look at the plaque so that Ryo says "I can't reach it", then walk over to the stool nearby and press A by it. Ryo will climb up move the plaque and reveal a hidden scroll. Read the scroll to find out that it's in Chinese. When you are at the harbour and have met with Master Chen and Guizhang, using a telephone ring the warehouse again, Guizhang should answer and Ryo will say that he would like to meet up. Guizhang says "come if you must", go to the old warehouse number 8, and Guizhang will translate the scroll for you :) - you can now read it again and it should learn a move.

For the Shenmue 2 collection, i'm guessing you're missing the Darts minigames. Around Shenmue 2 there are...5 darts players. Speak to them and they'll offer you to challenge them, they all have their own styles of play, which is why it's considered 5 different mini games!

Hope that helps :)

You're confusing the Mysterious Scroll with the Stab Armor scroll. The mysterious scroll doesn't teach you anything.

Sorry to be a bother, but I have a few annoying questions regarding Shenmue II.

First, in the scroll collection section of the pause menu in the HD remaster, there is a blue scroll right between where the Shenmue II scroll moves end and the Shenmue I ones begin: does anyone know what this is and where and how to get it? Looking around for an answer only brought up someone else asking the same question with nothing conclusive said about it. I'm really hoping it's just story related and granted somewhere at the end of the game.

Second, what are all the games you can unlock in the "Shenmue Collection" option on the main menu? Neo Darts doesn't appear to be one of them for some reason (unless it's bugged), and there are five to unlock below the regular darts that I have no idea what they should be. None of the many gambling games I've played have unlocked there.

And finally, are there any videos of anyone legitimately beating Afterburner? I can find only one video of a full arcade playthrough (none from any Shenmue players) and it appears to be tool-assisted for the purpose of showing off the entire game. Or does anyone have any strategies they could share? The certificate for this game is the very last collectible item I need from both games, besides the aforementioned scroll that I'm unsure about, and after having played it for an hour or so earlier I'm having doubts as to whether I can actually accomplish it.

If anyone could answer any or all of these, I'd be very grateful.

Most of the games in the Shenmue Collection are found in the arcade. Afterburner is found in Kowloon when looking for Rod Stunt and Hang-On is in room 222 in the Yellow Head building in Kowloon.

You're confusing the Mysterious Scroll with the Stab Armor scroll. The mysterious scroll doesn't teach you anything.

He's not confusing it. You can take the mysterious scroll to Guizhang, just like you can also take the stab armour scroll to get translated.
Once there, he tells you that it's the fierce tiger, and that it's secret poetry relating to a style of martial arts. Only by speaking to it's master can anyone understand it's full meaning. The only thing that's incorrect is that it doesn't teach you a new move

He's not confusing it. You can take the mysterious scroll to Guizhang, just like you can also take the stab armour scroll to get translated.
Once there, he tells you that it's the fierce tiger, and that it's secret poetry relating to a style of martial arts. Only by speaking to it's master can anyone understand it's full meaning. The only thing that's incorrect is that it doesn't teach you a new move

"Mysterious Scroll"
"you can now read it again and it should learn a move"

I am well aware of the poem and that you can get both translated by Gui Zhang, but the poem doesn't teach you any new moves. The Stab Armor does but nowhere in Mr. Brown's sentence does he make that distinction.

Last edited:
My memory might be hazy, but I think the missing scroll you're talking about is the "Mysterious Scroll" from Shenmue 1.
No, it's definitely not that, I'm afraid. I have that already and it appears at the very bottom of the list. The one I'm talking about is placed right between the Shenmue I & II scrolls, though it has the same blue scroll icon as the Mysterious Scroll.

I haven't played since I made this post, and I kind of don't want to until I find out what it is, so I'm still unsure if it's story related. I can't find any hint of what it might be from any sort of database, either.

Yeah, that's what I was missing, thanks. Neo-Darts definitely appears to be bugged, but nevermind, I guess. Come to think of it, that may have been the case for the original on Dreamcast, too.

Anyway, thanks very much for your post and everyone else's. Really do appreciate it.

Isn't that the scroll you get from Xiuying/Hanhui at the end of Disc 3?

Back