Sony/Playstation thoughts

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Elden Ring
MOD NOTE; MOVED FROM SHENMUE IV thread. Carry on...

The biggest issue facing Sony right now is what I've extrapolated from that damning Scherier article.

It seems they've lost sight of what made them so strong and are content to rely on major blockbusters to avail them. In essence, they(or rather Jim) has caused an unfortunate return of the old "Arrogant Sony".

Niche titles such as Shenmue were a reason folks enjoyed Sony, as they oft listened to gamers and acted upon it. Jim Ryan just seems to turn a deaf ear.

Game Pass is becoming more and more enticing by the day. What once was seen as a "maybe" has really seen Microsoft push hard into it to make it successful.

Sony is going to have to counter in some way, but I don't see Jim changing his stubborn views on things. GP and the enhanced BC of Xbox has been proven to be a massive boon, so Sony must step up here.

The PS5 has enormous power, so why they didn't make an entirely BC system is beyond me, honestly. Rumor has it they have a counter to Gamepass and I'm gonna bet it revolves around PS1-PS3, because they'd rather monetize it than include it.

The PS5 has enormous power, so why they didn't make an entirely BC system is beyond me, honestly. Rumor has it they have a counter to Gamepass and I'm gonna bet it revolves around PS1-PS3, because they'd rather monetize it than include it.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. They’ll finally offer native BC...at a cost

It's kinda scary how quickly the tides turn. This time last year, Microsoft were embarassing. That said, the only reason i'd buy a new Xbox is for backwards compatibility.

I think gaming has become so big now, that it's reminiscent of movies; AAA blockbusters and tiny budget films get made, but you barely see any mid-range budget films nowadays. It's kinda sad really.

Cost and the PlayStation 3 architecture most likely. Microsoft can get away with backwards compatibility because its overall architecture remains consistent. Sony, on the other hand, have not and thus we have this issue.

Fortunately, the Polymega can make up for the original Playstation games, and PlayStation 2 games can work with the PlayStation 5 if Sony were so inclined due to the similarities between the PlayStation 4 and 5, but sadly, the real casualty is the PlayStation 3. This is probably where PC gamers will have to step up to preserve these titles for future generations.

Once again, sadly, the fans have to correct the incompetent greed of corporations. Because if Sony were to implement backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 games there's no doubt in my mind that it would raise the price of the console.

Always back and forth like a tennis volley

PS2/early PS3 arrogant Sony
PS4/late PS3 good sony
PS5 arrogant sony :(

I'd pay for PS1-PS3 BC even digital only if they truly were every game--not the piecemeal shit on PS3/PS4

Cost and the PlayStation 3 architecture most likely. Microsoft can get away with backwards compatibility because its overall architecture remains consistent. Sony, on the other hand, have not and thus we have this issue.

Fortunately, the Polymega can make up for the original Playstation games, and PlayStation 2 games can work with the PlayStation 5 if Sony were so inclined due to the similarities between the PlayStation 4 and 5, but sadly, the real casualty is the PlayStation 3. This is probably where PC gamers will have to step up to preserve these titles for future generations.

Once again, sadly, the fans have to correct the incompetent greed of corporations. Because if Sony were to implement backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 games there's no doubt in my mind that it would raise the price of the console.
I would think if anyone can do it, it would be Sony themselves.

Hell, throw a stipend at the RPCS3 guys and pull them in to assist if need be!

I would think if anyone can do it, it would be Sony themselves.

Hell, throw a stipend at the RPCS3 guys and pull them in to assist if need be!
did same for the Bleem! lead programmer, iirc?

Also, wonder why Mark Cerny can't avert the direction their going towards...?

PSone and PS2 would be pretty easy for them to do at this point. Hell, they had near perfect PSone emulation going with the PS3 and PSP so surely they could bring those emulators back or use them as a base to build new ones. Hell, even just software PSone emulation is damn near perfect in some instances. PS2 they were dabbling in with the PS4 a little bit with those classic PS2 games they re-released on PS4 so PSone and PS2 are no brainers, really.

PS3 -- I haven't kept up with RPCS3, but I hear it's gotten better from where it once was. PS3 is the tricky one and the console they seem to just want to forget about in general.

I'm of two thoughts. Either Sony will take the Nintendo route and try to offer a Netflix style version of PS1 (and maybe PS2) classics or they will simply keep abandoning old games in favor of straight up remakes.

But I could see them doing something like Nintendo does right now with SNES and NES games on the Switch. Like a bi weekly updated "collection" of PSone and PS2 games you can download and play natively. Maybe they'll put stuff like Trophy Support or Network play in as well? I mean, fuck, Retroarch can do network play through peer to peer...surely Sony could offer an incentive like that on some of these older games. That could be a part of their rumored game pass thing.

PS3, I agree, is still up in the air though. Either way, I don't think you'll see BC on the level of Microsoft though. It won't be "insert your PSone disc and download a digital copy" like Microsoft does on their end. I think it will be straight up "we will recharge you OR charge you annually/monthly for the privilege of limited hardware BC."

Anyways, doesn't really bother me. I have soft modded PS3 sitting right next to my PS5 that I still have hooked up...although these days its main use is simply as a multi region Blu Ray/DVD player now (thank you, soft modders!)

For PSone games, I've pretty much moved to PC emulation. Beetle does an excellent job as is and my PSone died years ago. My PS2 is still kicking so I pull that out for PS2 games, but PCSX2 is pretty damn capable all things considered. But yeah, the days of full hardware native Sony BC are long gone I feel. It's a shame too. It's the one area where I give Microsoft a LOT of credit. They've done a hell of a lot more to offer people access to their older library.

Last edited:
Always back and forth like a tennis volley

PS2/early PS3 arrogant Sony
PS4/late PS3 good sony
PS5 arrogant sony :(
Hope the precedent set with them reversing tides to make their late PS3 comeback repeats itself if the PS5/PS4 CMOS/PS3 PSN shutdown cuts them down too far like early PS3 did to them...

Sony was not good during the ps3 and ps4 times. The only time Sony was really good and innovative was during ps1 times. PS2 was overrated, ps3 was too ambitious and ps4 is just a bad America centric PC in disguise. I just stick with Sony because they are better than the competition (for me) and I will never understand the hype he ps4 get and the hate now Jim Ryan gets.

The guy was there since the beginning and helped to make the brand great here in Europe. Many bad things that people hated were started by the predecessors of Ryan. House wanted to be more PC centric when he invented the useless pro that killed classic generations. The now so revered Shawn Layden wanted to bring games to PC. This guy also wanted fewer and bigger games.

It is too early to judge Ryan.

In the end the whole Ryan bashing is pointless anyway. In case he is going to do something positive the internet will forget all the negative stuff.

Yoshida also died cancel some games and people do not care.

He canceled this pretty boy for example

A thing I am still a bit said about.

But the gaming internet forgot about that loss.

They still like Yoshda fort his stand off comedy

Just ridicilous But that is the problem. Do not want to play games . They want to just talk about them and not play them. They prefer hope over actual games.

But Is Sony selling games or is Sony selling hope? They are quite some games coming in the fear future. While the only Thing Microsoft selling is hope and hype. I prefer to look forward to games that will be with us in the near future and not about some things that might be in the future far away.

But that is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
I hate Sony as much as the next Sega kid... but credit where due. Late PS3 was the beginning of Gio Corsi/Adam Boyes/Mark Cerny era and PS4 best system for variety and niche since Dreamcast. Two of them have left, Cerny seems a bit pre occupied with heavy responsibilities or unable to take influence away from Jim Ryan...

As far as PS1/PS2, simply having such a deep pool of titles--there were bound to be favorites there. Can't live without Yakuza or MGS or Ico; ironic three of my all time favs began in the days when I was rooting for Dreamcast.

Sort of like how you can have a favorite band and their favorite album, but your favorite song might not be on the fav album?

Veering a bit off topic...

Tastes are different. I miss Kutargi and do not like Cerny at all. The man turned the ps4 into cheap pc. with boring games. Kutaragi at least had some visions , Cerny has no visions technically speaking.PS4 games looked the same the whole generation. They did not evolve. Just boring.

Besides Cerny is just a hired gun. He is not really working for Sony. So he is no real influence.
Not a fan of the ps4 at all.

That is maybe the reason why I am not angry. If ps5 is doing stuff different than the ps4 things can just be better for me at least.

But it does not look that way. We will get the same boring open world games again and again. God of War, Last of Us and
Horizon. :sleep::sleep::sleep:

It is too early to judge the ps5 yet though. It cannot be judged until a few years in the future.

No point in arguing about that. I respect your opinion. Would be boring if everybody would like the same stuff.

Tastes are different. I miss Kutargi and do not like Cerny at all. The man turned the ps4 into cheap pc. with boring games. Kutaragi at least had some visions , Cerny has no visions technically speaking.PS4 games looked the same the whole generation. They did not evolve. Just boring.

Besides Cerny is just a hired gun. He is not really working for Sony. So he is no real influence.
Not a fan of the ps4 at all.

That is maybe the reason why I am not angry. If ps5 is doing stuff different than the ps4 things can just be better for me at least.

But it does not look that way. We will get the same boring open world games again and again. God of War, Last of Us and
Horizon. :sleep::sleep::sleep:

It is too early to judge the ps5 yet though. It cannot be judged until a few years in the future.

No point in arguing about that. I respect your opinion. Would be boring if everybody would like the same stuff.
You miss the guy that almost ran Sony into the ground when the PS3 launched and also when the great recession hit? Damn.

I think that article is pure hyperbole. Sony is making more quality games than both Nintendo and Microsoft combined in my opinion. People keep lauding game pass but Sony could easily do the same if they had Microsoft's fuck you money to toss down the drain. No way any of that stuff is profitable or makes remote financial sense. Soon Microsoft will be making as many games be live services with microtransactions just to make up the cost of giving away hundreds of games for the price of little over 1 game a year.

When I look at the issues with the gaming industry today, there is a heavy focus on AAA titles and little middle ground between those and Indie titles. When you get games like Overcooked and Aragami for example, not only are to too far and few in between, they also lack some polish you would (should) get if they came from a bigger studio that simply wanted to make a good non-blockbuster game.

None of these issues are unique to Sony and is industry wide. In the end, Microsoft milks a couple franchises and literally has studios to focus on developing one game. They also went an entire generation without releasing a Fable game and have done absolutely nothing with the Conkers IP. Meanwhile, Sony has delivered new IPs in Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us and revamped God of War whilst Halo and Gears of War look near the same as their initial installments.

My wish is that Sony give us a better variety outside of the open world games. I thought The Order 1886 was half decent but had massive potential. The same goes for there quiz games where you can use your mobile phone.

Hey, my post got moved and turned into its own topic!

Nice! In other news, I'm willing to give Sony a bit more benefit of the doubt. Throughout the last year, they were incredibly quiet while Microsoft was out touting 12TFs, throwing all kinds of announcements while Sony said nothing.

When they finally did speak, the PS5 spoke for itself. It's a fine machine and technology-wise, it's clear it's architecture creates a machine that punches well above it's weight, rather than just a "PC in a box", which is what Microsoft's XSX essentially is(even in look).

It is now mid-April 2021 and the PS5 is still nearly impossible to get. I tried my hardest to help my best friend get one(and a hefty priced GameStop bundle as they always bundle) and we both still couldn't secure one with us both trying. I wouldn't be surprised if they stay impossible to get all year.

I think they have a lot coming down the pipe and I do think they'll listen to this criticism. They've listened before.

You miss the guy that almost ran Sony into the ground when the PS3 launched and also when the great recession hit? Damn.
He made some mistakes yes. But without that guy we would not have a playstation.

I recommend reading Revolutionaries at Sony that describes the making of Playstation 1. And it is impressive.

It also shows how short sighted the criticism is in 2021. People only whine about complacent Sony. Sony Always has been complacent and that is why the won.

They refused to follow the rules that Nintendo forced into the Industry. They did not try to copy them. They made their own rules. If they had done the same stuff as Nintendo they would have lost. Because Nintendo was more experienced with the rule set they made.

If Sony follow MS the lose. Sony is good because it makes their own thing. Most Mainstream Gamers do not need a CEO mascot that pretends to be Friends with the gamer Kids. That is cringworthy.

The whole Problem is overblown andin fact the Internet bubble is pointless for the real world. Most average customers do not care.

They buy Playstation because the like the games. They do not care if Sony has no narrative whatever that is supposed to mean.

We also should not take every Internet arcticle too serious. They are just opinion pieces no facts. These articles are just written to gain clicks. They have no highter value. Even Schreier is just out for clicks. He does not know the full Story. He just has some opinions of some ex Sony People that have some beef with the company. They are just telling their version of the Story.

We do not know why some Projects were cancelled. Maybe they were not good. We will never know the truth.

Schreier seems to have something against Sony that is why I do not trust the guy.

Cannot remember that he wanted to fight MS for the Problems it had with Halo Infite. I cannot remember that he tried to interview some ex People from 343 Studios bash MS for miss managment with that title.

Without personal bias towards or against Sony there is no reason to be upset yet

Let's keep some facts straight

The PS5 is selling quite well.

We get new Releases regularly.

The PS5 is decent machine for the price

it is unlikely that the stream of new games will cease in the near future.

For the Mainstream these facts are the most important thing to be happy with playstation. The Problems some People see that take games to serious are not important.

They do not need Talking mascot ceos, they do not need the feeling that their console of choice is the Right choice and no other console can match their own.

Sony is ok MS is doing better this gen, Nintendo too.

Everything is fine. People just need to stop to see consoles as a Religion.

Consoles are just a tool not life style. And there are different Tools for different stuff. if one tool does not help you then switch to another tool like the switch for example (no pum intended) if you are more into indies are japanophile games.

That is fine you do not owe Sony anything. But never forget one thing. We are all Sega Fans and we like Sega for their crazyness. But where is Sega now?

Were are their consoles? We enjoyed the niche titles that they made but unfortunately the public did not see it that way and they had to bail out.

Feeling bad about Sony going that path is legimate but labeling them as arrogant Sony is a bit too much. They are not arrogant they are just doing their buisness. They tried out niche titles but they did not sell well enough to be useful for the buisness side of Things.

Another proof that that Internet buble is meaningless. Most People that are mad about that never bought the games. If every fake outrager in the Internet really bought that stuff they must have sold millions of games like Gravity rush.

Some People are just made because of it. Funny to watch but pointless for the bigger Picture.

Last edited:
As a former Nintendo fanboy as a kid I have owned exclusively Sony consoles since PS3. They have delivered time and time again with their 1st party content but I am a little concerned by reports of them becoming more insular and studios like Quantic Dreams and even Kojima productions, two studios who have been synonymous with the PS brand may not be delivering their title on said platform.

Obviously I will wait to see this plays out but I hope Sony still invested in content and smaller games.

We do not know what Sony is doing. Being concerned about same random reports that do not offer any facts is not the best way. These opinion pieces never tell the full story.

And to what Reports are you refering anyway? The chance is slim that Kojima is going to let the Money from Sony consoles go and just focus on Xbox. Muliplat is the future for such studios.

Same goes for quantic dream. They decided to release their stuff an all plattforms. So they are not going miss the Sony Money.

Back