*Speculation-Spoilers* We Will Meet Lan Di Early In The Game

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
I don't know if anyone is aware of this, but most media trailers for games, and TV shows rarely show late stage scenes. (With the exception of movies, they very often show the whole damn thing basically!) In fact if you pay attention and look back on earlier trailers in most media you can see that they only show scenes for the first 1-3 episodes in the trailer and no late season stuff, and the same is true for games where typically they show scenes only from 3 to 5 hours in game time, if it's a long game. There are exceptions to this such as when the season progresses pass the scenes in the trailer they show scenes from later episodes but again, only the next few episodes. For example look at early trailers (before the game officially released) for Uncharted 4, God of War, The Last of Us, Halo 5: Gaurdians, Gears of War 4, etc and TV shows such as The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Deuce, The Leftovers, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, etc and you'll notice that the season preview trailers rarely (if ever) show scenes from later than episode 3 or 4.

What does that have to do with Shenmue. you ask? Well, Yu Suzuki is quite known to HATE spoilers. I doubt he'd give away any meaningful information for late stage game stuff, but there was something I remember him saying that seems quite strange if you look at the trailer. If I remember correctly he said that Ryo would get an entirely new out fit in Shenmue 3. Looking at the trailer, Ryo's clothes are the same as always. So when you take that into account, along with the fact that most media trailers in general almost always only show scenes from the first few hours, then it seems very likely that Ryo will meet Lan Di quite early in the game.

But that doesn't mean I think that'll be his only time meeting him. My personal opinion is that Lan Di defeats Ryo in that meeting or doesn't even fight him at all, he just sends some one else to do it and that person fails. I believe it will be that guy in the blue martial arts wear in the trailer. Even though I have zero evidence of it.

Anyway in conclusion my speculation and prediction is this

1. Ryo meets Lan Di in the fist 3-5 hours.
2. Upon meeting him, Lan Di sends out a lackey to deal with Ryo
3. There will be a later more epic show down between Lan Di and Ryo

Seems pretty thin but I just can not believe that Yu Suzuki would choose to show a major end game plot point in the trailer, especially considering his aversion to spoilers and then there is the circumstantial evidence of how most other media go about it and there we have it.

Thanks for humoring this stupid post by the way!

I don't know if anyone is aware of this, but most media trailers for games, and TV shows rarely show late stage scenes. (With the exception of movies, they very often show the whole damn thing basically!) In fact if you pay attention and look back on earlier trailers in most media you can see that they only show scenes for the first 1-3 episodes in the trailer and no late season stuff, and the same is true for games where typically they show scenes only from 3 to 5 hours in game time, if it's a long game. There are exceptions to this such as when the season progresses pass the scenes in the trailer they show scenes from later episodes but again, only the next few episodes. For example look at early trailers (before the game officially released) for Uncharted 4, God of War, The Last of Us, Halo 5: Gaurdians, Gears of War 4, etc and TV shows such as The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Deuce, The Leftovers, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Mad Men, etc and you'll notice that the season preview trailers rarely (if ever) show scenes from later than episode 3 or 4.

What does that have to do with Shenmue. you ask? Well, Yu Suzuki is quite known to HATE spoilers. I doubt he'd give away any meaningful information for late stage game stuff, but there was something I remember him saying that seems quite strange if you look at the trailer. If I remember correctly he said that Ryo would get an entirely new out fit in Shenmue 3. Looking at the trailer, Ryo's clothes are the same as always. So when you take that into account, along with the fact that most media trailers in general almost always only show scenes from the first few hours, then it seems very likely that Ryo will meet Lan Di quite early in the game.

But that doesn't mean I think that'll be his only time meeting him. My personal opinion is that Lan Di defeats Ryo in that meeting or doesn't even fight him at all, he just sends some one else to do it and that person fails. I believe it will be that guy in the blue martial arts wear in the trailer. Even though I have zero evidence of it.

Anyway in conclusion my speculation and prediction is this

1. Ryo meets Lan Di in the fist 3-5 hours.
2. Upon meeting him, Lan Di sends out a lackey to deal with Ryo
3. There will be a later more epic show down between Lan Di and Ryo

Seems pretty thin but I just can not believe that Yu Suzuki would choose to show a major end game plot point in the trailer, especially considering his aversion to spoilers and then there is the circumstantial evidence of how most other media go about it and there we have it.

Thanks for humoring this stupid post by the way!

The way Lan Di was approaching Ryo in the trailer didn't look like he had the intent to kill like when he showed up in Yokosuka. It's plausible that they do meet early in the game and have "the talk". Then Ryo has to spend X amount of time processing that information and him and Shenhua go to find the truth about Iwao and search for her missing father.

Bailu Village is presumably the starting area in the game, and with three areas in total (that we know of) that make up a roughly 30 hour game, I have to assume we spend a decent amount of time in Bailu Village, perhaps five hours or so. So unless Lan Di's hiding in that cave somewhere (and maybe he is...we have no idea), my guess is we don't meet him early in the game. Meeting him early on, then working your way back to him later, sounds a bit anticlimactic to me but I guess it depends on how they'd execute it.

We also don't know if what was shown in the trailer is true to the story. I believe the Shenmue II trailer showed Shenhua and Lan Di's encounter from the bad ending, which we know doesn't actually happen.

As for Yu hating spoilers, I was under the impression he kept things tightly under wraps but didn't he give a pretty big spoiler in one of his interviews during the Kickstarter phase? He revealed something that I rather wish I hadn't read.

We also don't know if what was shown in the trailer is true to the story. I believe the Shenmue II trailer showed Shenhua and Lan Di's encounter from the bad ending, which we know doesn't actually happen.

As for Yu hating spoilers, I was under the impression he kept things tightly under wraps but didn't he give a pretty big spoiler in one of his interviews during the Kickstarter phase? He revealed something that I rather wish I hadn't read.

Is there a spoiler tag on here? I'm curious to which one you're talking about.

Do we know for certain that Ryo and Lan Di will meet in Shenmue III?

If there’s been no confirmation that they will meet then it’s worth considering that their meeting in the Deep Silver trailer could be a dream.

Last edited:
Do we know for certain that Ryo and Lan Di will meet in Shenmue III?

Apparently Yu Suzuki has said...

Shenmue III marks the end of the current story but not the overall story

...which makes me believe that a showdown with Lan Di is inevitable. However, whether Ryo overcomes his desire for revenge is another thing entirely. There's so much we don't know.

Personally, I think we fight Lan Di but Ryo spares him -- that's where his character arc seems to be headed -- and perhaps something/someone bigger takes care of Lan Di. At some point, the mystery of the mirrors is going to open up and revenge will no longer be the core of the story.

i reckon Lan Di will be semi wrapped up in 3, and then we'll be dealing with the other leaders in Shenmue 4 and 5

If that is the case, then we are talking some sort of plot twist/flashback shizz, with LanDi being brainwashed and convinced to kill Iwao, otherwise it's just not going to stick. Lan Di is the ultimate antagonist at this point. He murdered your father and made you an orphan for God's sake. If he is going to be killed off in 3, then you are going to need an antagonist which trump's him, and they may have some serious motivation to do so if the level of emotion is still to be invested.

I doubt he'd be killed off. I personally think Lan Di's gonna kick Ryo's ass and Ryo will end up chasing him and the other leaders in Shenmue 4. Ryo can't touch xiuying or jiamin and Lan Di is suppose to be stronger than them. There's no way Ryo's gonna defeat Lan Di in 20 plus days of training in shenmue 3. Especially since Iwao got taken out in seconds.

Back