General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Ugh. Did it start with Ryo's sleep sequence looking all messed up? That's when I noticed things going wrong for my game. Hopefully restarting it will cure it. Sounds like that does work for some people. I was really pleasantly surprised by my luck with not running into bugs, and now I'm really depressed.

Actually, my glitches started with the cutscene where Fuku-san tells Ryo that he told Ine-san everything about his plans. I stopped playing when the Nozomi/kitten cutscene fucked up too. I didn’t want to keep playing like that.

It’s a shame. I really wanted to finish the game before Yakuza Kiwami 2 came out yesterday, so I could play that before starting S2. But I’m starting to think I should just leave it until the glitches get sorted out eventually.

Yeah, that's part of what's bumming me out. A ton of great games are coming out right now and until the end of the year, and I wanted Shenmue to take priority over everything else. Now I'm reluctant to keep playing. I can't ignore major glitches that prevent me from enjoying the cutscenes.

Ugh. Did it start with Ryo's sleep sequence looking all messed up? That's when I noticed things going wrong for my game. Hopefully restarting it will cure it. Sounds like that does work for some people. I was really pleasantly surprised by my luck with not running into bugs, and now I'm really depressed.
I got the sleeping cutscene glitch. But I haven't gotten too many bugs thereafter. Since then, I've had one cutscene bug during the transition scene when the bus arrives at the harbor.

I've made the decision to wait for the patch. I'm in no rush as I have no plans to play any other upcoming games. My brother has almost completed S1on PC for the first time. He ran into several borked cutscenes so he downloaded the beta patch which fixed most things.

In general he loved the experience but thought 5 days working the forklift was excessive, with not enough to do during breaks/night times, which I agree with.

First time I ever won the 2nd prize from the winning can! I've won the radio before but never the game(s). Awesome!

:) which one did you pick?
Hang on e_e I've been playing for hours...

Another thing that's really bugging me is during Excite QTE, when prompted to press up, it doesn't seem to register for me and I fail. I don't know if I'm hitting a weird deadzone on the pad or if anyone has experienced something similar but it's making the easiest arcade game the most difficult for me ;/

Nope. That's one of a hundred known bugs in the collection.

I've experienced an odd behavior during free battle which seems to be yet another bug that I haven't seen anyone else mention. This is in Shenmue I for PS4.

You can counter a punch by pressing the throw button at the right moment. If you time it correctly, Ryo will put his attacker in a hammerlock. From this point, it should be possible to kick any other nearby enemies by pressing a direction on the d-pad and the kick button. You have a few seconds to do this before Ryo just sort of wrenches the enemy's arm and lets him go. I don't know exactly what to call this move because it's not in the move list.

In the re-release, however, it seems to be impossible to actually connect with one of these kicks. No matter how many times I try or how close the enemy is, it never works. It's like there is no collision detection at all between Ryo's foot and any other enemy besides the one he has in a hammerlock. Sometimes it even appears as if the enemy is dodging out of the way to avoid the kick.

In any case, this is not what happens in the original Dreamcast version. I'm trying it on my Dreamcast right now and it's very easy to pull off, just like I remember it being. If the enemy is within range of Ryo's kick, it will connect every time. You can even knock down two enemies with a single kick.

I feel like I should report this in the bugs thread, but I don't even know how to describe it clearly and briefly enough to fit the template. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and, if so, have you experienced the same thing?

I've experienced an odd behavior during free battle which seems to be yet another bug that I haven't seen anyone else mention. This is in Shenmue I for PS4.

You can counter a punch by pressing the throw button at the right moment. If you time it correctly, Ryo will put his attacker in a hammerlock. From this point, it should be possible to kick any other nearby enemies by pressing a direction on the d-pad and the kick button. You have a few seconds to do this before Ryo just sort of wrenches the enemy's arm and lets him go. I don't know exactly what to call this move because it's not in the move list.

In the re-release, however, it seems to be impossible to actually connect with one of these kicks. No matter how many times I try or how close the enemy is, it never works. It's like there is no collision detection at all between Ryo's foot and any other enemy besides the one he has in a hammerlock. Sometimes it even appears as if the enemy is dodging out of the way to avoid the kick.

In any case, this is not what happens in the original Dreamcast version. I'm trying it on my Dreamcast right now and it's very easy to pull off, just like I remember it being. If the enemy is within range of Ryo's kick, it will connect every time. You can even knock down two enemies with a single kick.

I feel like I should report this in the bugs thread, but I don't even know how to describe it clearly and briefly enough to fit the template. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and, if so, have you experienced the same thing?
I haven't experienced it because it's very rare that I use that specific kick, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm currently on day 2 of work in the game, so I should be able to test this out...

I haven't experienced it because it's very rare that I use that specific kick, but I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm currently on day 2 of work in the game, so I should be able to test this out...
I find that one of the best times to test it out is during the two free battles at the harbor, right after traveling on Naoyuki's motorcycle to save Nozomi. During both of these fights, you are in a fairly small and enclosed space surrounded by several enemies.

I'm 100% positive that there is something wrong here. It simply never works in the PS4 version. You can aim and throw the kicks but they never, ever connect.

I find that one of the best times to test it out is during the two free battles at the harbor, right after traveling on Naoyuki's motorcycle to save Nozomi. During both of these fights, you are in a fairly small and enclosed space surrounded by several enemies.

I'm 100% positive that there is something wrong here. It simply never works in the PS4 version. You can aim and throw the kicks but they never, ever connect.
I'll check it out. I remember on the Dreamcast version finding those kicks unnaturally strong and effective lol and that's why I never use it anymore, but I'll test it out next chance I get...

I'll check it out. I remember on the Dreamcast version finding those kicks unnaturally strong and effective lol and that's why I never use it anymore, but I'll test it out next chance I get...
I know what you mean lol. But I always liked doing it because it made Ryo look like a total badass, putting someone in a hammerlock while effortlessly knocking down two or three other guys before planting the original guy on his face with a forearm to the back of the neck.

In this version of the game, it just makes Ryo look inept.

First time I ever got both Yukawa dolls, too! Damn this is a lucky playthrough! I just wish I was good at Hang-On so I could get the certificates.

Yuan was a male in DC version of Shenmue II, however got censored and transformed to female in XBox ver. They even rerecorded voices.
Only in the Japanese version though. The European DC version of Shenmue 2 had Yuan revoiced as resubtitled to be a woman...

As an update to the free battle issue I mentioned, I tried it out in Shenmue II. I really don't want to play through Shenmue II unless they fix the music, but I just played the beginning to try it out in one of the fights against Sam and Larry. Anyway, the move works fine in that game. So, the issue only applies to Shenmue I.

I guess I should submit a report in the "Issues & Bugs" thread, for whatever good that'll do.

While it's interesting that they chose the original male voice for Yuan instead of the female voice from the version that was available for Western audiences on DC and OG Xbox, they either chickened out or just plain forgot to update the text from the NA/PAL versions so the word used is "partner" instead of "boyfriend" in the subtitles during the scene when you get caught at the elevator. :p

Advice needed!

Progressing through 2 faster than I realised/wanted. I'm on Ryo's final day in Wan Chai. Can I stay in Wan Chai as long as I don't speak to Xiuying? Like can I just avoid her until its time for bed and keep doing new days here?

I wanted to do some duck racing this time around but fang mei is still referring to me as Hazuki San. Am I too late to do duck races and the fights on the upper arcade level? I assume that my only conversation option with her at this point will be a goodbye.

Finally, I need to speak to the 4 wude teachers before I leave, but the lady is not in her apartment?

Thanks for any help!

Wasn't peter or one of the mods on here hinting at getting something for completing the secret snapshot quest? Well I did and its the same rewards as the original version. Liar.

Back