Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

In one post i reflected about Ryo in the games and in the anime, about if Ryo in the anime will want revenge or not, things like that.

Look at what i found in the official Shenmue anime site.

Shenmue Anime official site about Ryo: A high school boy who was raised in Yokosuka at the Hazuki Dojo. Losing his Mother at a young age, Ryo trained to master the Hazuki style martial arts under his strict Father. However, one day his father is murdered by a mysterious man named Lan Di. To unveil the mystery behind his Father’s death, Ryo begins his journey. Ryo is reckless and prone to getting into fights but has a strong will. No matter how long the journey may take his determination to avenge his Father will never fade. Along with his personality and his determination, he often acts without thinking through and gets into many fights during his journey. On the other hand, he meets many who help him and at times scold him. Ryo’s experiences in his journey lead to him growing as a person.

Like i said in another post, we only saw the first episode, it is really early to say a lot of things, many things can happen. I will not be surprised if Ryo have nightmares with Lan Di or something like this and Ryo will start to feel confused, sad and angry. Ryo will probably go through so many difficult situations and learn many things in the journey in the anime as well.

I'm looking forward for the second episode.

View attachment 14095
Great find. I do find it weird how many people have taken Ryo's reaction/emotions in the opening episode to mean his revenge motive has been completely discarded. He just watched his dad murdered right in front of his eyes. Of course he wants revenge.

The opening episode likely just leant more into the "I want to find out who my father really was" aspect because that sets up another, less obvious motive for Ryo.

Look at this sweet moment... 😊

One of the sweetest moments of the episode and if i remember correctly it is a new arrangement of Shenhua's theme in this scene, beautiful arrangement.

Showing Shenhua's life before meeting Ryo, building her character for the viewers to care about her, and also when Shenhua meet Ryo will be even more emotional because of this scenes in my opinion, beautiful decision to put more screen time for Shenhua.

I even cried watching the first episode, it is sweet and beautiful.

IMG_4205.png
This scene nearly makes me tear up every time I see the episode. It's something so simple, but it probably has something to with how perfect the music was in this scene and how much that area in shenmue 2/3 means to me. They did a wonderful job there :)

This scene nearly makes me tear up every time I see the episode. It's something so simple, but it probably has something to with how perfect the music was in this scene and how much that area in shenmue 2/3 means to me. They did a wonderful job there :)

New arrangement of Shenhua's theme is so beautiful in this scene. I cried when i saw all the scenes in the Hazuki Residence before the tournament and when i saw the scene with Shenhua i cried even more. I remember some people said that this transition to Bailu Village was bad and things like that but i agree with you, they did a wonderful job there, all this scenes that i said... one of my favorite parts of the episode without a doubt.

I hope in the next episodes this continue, Shenhua with more screen time, building more her character for the viewers to care about her, showing more about her life in Bailu Village before meeting Ryo, maybe we will even see Shenhua talking with Shenmue III characters, who knows? a lot of potential with this, Lan Di with more screen time is amazing as well, i love this route for the Shenmue anime.

The first episode is a mix of slice of life/calm moments, fights, mysterious moments, sad moments, cute/sweet moments, learning moments and much more, i love the first episode and i feel that the season will get even better with the next episodes.

Mixed feelings for me.
I enjoyed it and I am glad we have another medium to attract, hopefully, more Shenmue fans.
I also agree with others it was flying at a blistering pace but then I recognise they only have 13 episodes to cover S1 + S2 which is 50+ hours of content, condensed into circa 4 hours.
I agree also that it was weird for Ryo to laugh so much with Nozomi in that one scene but then he also is still suffering from shock so it's not too unbelievable.
He beat Chai a bit too easily. This is the guy who is gonna get beaten easily by some losers in Niaowu yet seems so strong in S01E01? I don't think so, but I guess that is more a criticism of S3 than the anime.
I wish I could get some cider in and just binge watch the next 12 episodes... sigh.
:)

After the first episode of the anime now i need to show something that Ryo did in Shenmue III

Not too sure what the issue is with Ryo and Chai in the episode. Ryo pretty much kicked everyone's ass in shenmue 1, including chai if you were good enough.

Its in shenmue 2 and 3 when Ryo is in China where he starts getting battered all over the place.

Wait, Ryo beats Chai in the first episode and Lan Di knows about the Phoenix Mirror? Y'see, this is why I can't bring myself to watch it. Anything that departs from the game is a big no-no, for me. Artistic license gone too far.

Attachments

• Edvard_Munch,_1893,_The_Scream,_oil,_tempera_and_pastel_on_cardboard,_91_x_73_cm,_National_Gal...jpg
    Edvard_Munch,_1893,_The_Scream,_oil,_tempera_and_pastel_on_cardboard,_91_x_73_cm,_National_Gal...jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 149
I was on Crunchyroll now seeing some opinions about the anime, i found someone that never heard about the Shenmue franchise and this was the person's opinion about the episode.

"I don't know anything, I've never seen, read, played or heard about the franchise.
I was totally raw just with the expectation and I can say that it was very nice.
The main character reminded me a lot of Ryu from street fighter II, both the traits and the way too. It seems to me that it will be a good anime at the Jujutsu Kaisen level, it has the potential to be something great, I'm looking forward to it!"

I'm sharing this here because I think it's really beautiful that with the anime more people are knowing Shenmue and becoming Shenmue fans.

I enjoyed this much more than I expected to do.
I haven't had the time to read all this thread's posts, but in terms of your concern about the season break, @Hiki, I'm thinking the following:
I notice Joy and Ren are there, but no Xiuying or Don Niu. While we'd likely need to meet Xiuying before Ren-- but who knows, depending on how story retelling goes-- I still wonder if season one ends with Hong Kong, and two begins with Kowloon. Maybe Kowloon or Guilin is exended, but it could be a clean break.

I enjoyed this much more than I expected to do.
I haven't had the time to read all this thread's posts, but in terms of your concern about the season break, @Hiki, I'm thinking the following:
I notice Joy and Ren are there, but no Xiuying or Don Niu. While we'd likely need to meet Xiuying before Ren-- but who knows, depending on how story retelling goes-- I still wonder if season one ends with Hong Kong, and two begins with Kowloon. Maybe Kowloon or Guilin is exended, but it could be a clean break.
They've all been cast and I'm 99% it's happening this season.

I respect all opinions i'm just having a hard time trying to understand why this need that the anime needs to be 100% like the games as if in this version Ryo can't laugh, Ryo can't smile, Ryo can't cry, Ryo can't care and show feelings about Nozomi, Ryo can't show feelings and emotions, Lan Di can't be the one to give Ryo the scar because in the game Ryo already has the scar from the start, like anything that differs from the games or didn't happened in the games will automatic mean that it is bad.

That the anime needs to copy the games, copy 100% the games, every scene, every line, everything, I'm really having a hard time trying to understand these things, the anime is an adaptation, a different version.

I can already imagine some reactions if Ryo cry in the second episode... if Ryo remeber Iwao and cry because Ryo miss Iwao for example, i respect all opinions I'm just having a hard time trying to understand why this need that the anime needs to be 100% like the games, i think i will never understand this.

One of the things i love about the anime is exactly this, i really don't know exactly what i will see in the next episodes, i loved seeing Shenhua with more screen time, Lan Di with more screen time and much more.

One of my best friends told me that watched the episode and enjoyed a lot, my friend never played the games and only heard about the Shenmue franchise because i told about Shenmue, my friend loves anime, this is what my friend said about the episode.

"I really loved the story, the animation is very beautiful, so far the anime is phenomenal." My friend even said that the episode helped with some personal problems, i thought that this was really nice.

Yeah, it's OK to prefer the original take on certain characters and events, but if you aren't willing to accept any new interpretation at all...why would you even bother watching?

They need to find a way to get a Kiryu cameo in there -- maybe as a thug in the harbour -- and watch the IGN score go from 7 to an 8 🤫

I enjoyed it! Artistic license re-arranging a few things (the reason for Ryo's bandaid, the first Chai fight) is fine, so long as the general arc works in the same direction as the games. I am looking forward to ten minutes of the second episode focused on questioning everyone about Sailors and "Charlie."

Yeah, it's OK to prefer the original take on certain characters and events, but if you aren't willing to accept any new interpretation at all...why would you even bother watching?

They need to find a way to get a Kiryu cameo in there -- maybe as a thug in the harbour -- and watch the IGN score go from 7 to an 8 🤫

But it's not MY Ryo and anything that isn't MY Ryo is automatically bad.

BTW, did we all forget he literally plays the Face Game with Shenhua in SIII? Showing that he does indeed have a human side afterall :D I guess that's why I don't get the complaints about his laughter in the first episode. If anything, I welcome that they're trying to flesh him out a little more.

In all seriousness, I actually look forward to seeing what else they do to change it up a bit. I will always have the games, but I'm totally up for a different take on Shenmue.

Last edited:
Back