Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

In the preview for next weeks episode it was advertised to air at Midnight. Was 12:30 Eastern just for the debut episode?

I would have been okay with him moving on from the revenge motivation if they didn't have him change so quickly. To go from revenge being his biggest motivation to wanting to know more about Iwao so quickly just didn't feel right. I think if they were going down the road of mixing his motivations up a bit and making him see beyond revenge, it would be much better suited to show that during his time spent with Xiuying.

Yeah, I do hear you. Like I said, I don't think it's perfect by any means. I too had some issue with the pacing in general. But I guess I'm gonna wait and see how it pans out.

I'm curious to see what other deviations they take. I think that point, it's best to separate the two and judge them on their own merits.

But I do see your point and even agree somewhat. Still, curious to see how it pans out from here.

But judging from that first episode, be prepared for change ups to the way they handle the story.

Great. The first episode was extremely fast paced as I expected it to be. Music was great and I already can't wait for the OST. I haven't watched the dub yet. Crunchy just has subbed.

I am surprised that others think its moving too fast. If you watched Shenmue the Movie, I feel you should more or less know how a Shenmue 1 adaptation in this form might go. I fully expect Shenmue 1 to be maybe 5 episodes while 2 is the remainder.

Pacing and direction actually reminds me of the Persona 4 anime. Expanding some things while streamlining the fluff. I am actually more excited to see what they do with season 2 when they get around to it. That is a chance to expand on so much and fix little issues with characters and story that were present in that game.

I do think that his curiosity about his fathers past should have been something to come about right before his trip to hong kong maybe after pondering on some of the things he is going to deal with. Other than that I love what its doing. Shenmue 1 doesnt have a lot of story in the game so I am enjoying the changes.

Lol I just saw someone on Twitter who didn't play the game say they liked the episode but the pacing felt "sluggish". I guess for the commoner it's moving either the right speed or slow :LOL::LOL:
lmao

Can't please everyone, I guess. There were four fights in this episode alone!

Personally I felt the pacing was just right. Some fans might find the super condensed and rearranged timeline of events jarring if they have a particularly inflexible view, but if that's the case just... go play the game then, lol.

Yo, unless someone else caught it btw but I didn't see it. Yu Suzuki name wasn't mentioned anywhere. In neither credits or as being apart of the thing at all. But, Sega was mentioned.

I don't like the looks of that.

Watching it made me wanna replay the games again. It sparked it. Man they need to get us Shenmue 4 and stop playing. lol
That's what I kind of look at it as being...an advertisement for the games/potential trojan horse to finish the series if they can't get another game. Hopefully it captures people enough to try the games...hopefully.

I am always working when you guys are live.

sucks.

Rewatched the episode a handful of stray observations-

- Really liked small appearance of Yamagishi at Dojo before Iwao’s death. They established in the games they had a friendship so nice to see it recognized here.

- I don’t mind the change that Lan Di is the one that have Ryo his scar. There’s many thematic and shared characteristics between the two so while the idea of matching scars may be a little too on the nose, it’s not bad change.

- “It can’t be you” is now change to “Then…you must be” makes it even more obvious Iwao either recognized or knew Zhao had a son.

- I actually appreciated that unlike the game where Ryo is dead set on revenge straight away, initially there is hesitancy and doubt in the anime.

- “You still don’t have enough yet” this Ryo feels a lot more reflective and patient. Will we see continuous flashbacks to Iwao in this?

- There is a line where Ryo says he’s spent his whole life trying to surpass his father. I thought that was interesting tidbit because it’s been alluded to but never said as directly in the games

I loved it. Watched both English and Japanese, and as someone who likes the English dub (and not "BECAUSE ITS SO BAD LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"), the Japanese is superior here. I'm surprised at the lack of love from Takahiro Sakurai, seeing as how he's been Japanese Lan Di since the first game.

Loved the Overthrow move, and what looked like Hold Against Leg and Sleeve Strike, all three used by Ryo, the tree flashback with the picture of Iwao and Ryo practicing Elbow Assault, seeing Yamagishi - San, Ine - San, Fuku - San, Liu - San, Nozomi, Tom, Enoki, Nagashima, the men in black suits, and of course Lan Di and Chai. Music is awesome, especially in the cave and while Shenhua is narrating. Loved the end credits. Forklifts! Toonami has a preview for the next episode up, Ryo will meet Charlie and save Gaowen, so I'm guessing we will meet Master Chen and Guizhang next week or the week after that for sure.

Other notes: Ajiichi restaurant and the jackets in the background when Nozomi catches up to Ryo are from Jupiter's Jackets. Swing Nozomi and the kid in the park came before Iwao died, just like in Shenmue The Movie. Wonder why the game placed it way after?

Rewatched the episode a handful of stray observations-

- Really liked small appearance of Yamagishi at Dojo before Iwao’s death. They established in the games they had a friendship so nice to see it recognized here.

- I don’t mind the change that Lan Di is the one that have Ryo his scar. There’s many thematic and shared characteristics between the two so while the idea of matching scars may be a little too on the nose, it’s not bad change.

- “It can’t be you” is now change to “Then…you must be” makes it even more obvious Iwao either recognized or knew Zhao had a son.

- I actually appreciated that unlike the game where Ryo is dead set on revenge straight away, initially there is hesitancy and doubt in the anime.

- “You still don’t have enough yet” this Ryo feels a lot more reflective and patient. Will we see continuous flashbacks to Iwao in this?
I suppose the nice thing about this as well is we have a new version of the script to work from

As opposed to the original games verbatim translated script that sometimes feels too stiff in translation.

I watched it a second time and its much better, definitely prefer Japanese. Realize that the game would not translate well in an anime due to the amount of investigative talking needed so the modifications worked well for an anime. Remember the second game was massive to the first so I feel it did justice introducing Lan Di, Ryos background and martial arts, Nozomi and the connection she has with Ryo and Chai being a super creepy stalker. We had little info on Chai in the game, nice intro to Shenhua and her mysterious spiritual background so overall the artwork and music, presentation A+ from me.

No I just rewatched it. did not see his name. Someone please tell me where they saw his name? I am watching the Japanese version. I did see a suzuki but it wasn't Yu.

Also, felt strong Kai and Predictive Explosion vibes when Ryo was fighting Chai. For people saying it feels rushed...they have 13 episodes, just under five hours, to pack basically two full games into. That'd hard enough to do with just the story and nothing else. I think we needed to finish disc 1 of Shenmue I with this episode, and it looks like we did, and then some. Onto the next!

Back