Spoilers Shenmue The Animation: Episode 1 - Thunderclap - Thread

It was pretty good. Some changes I wouldn't have done, but pretty good otherwise. Nozomi doesn't look like Nozomi.

I think the first episode in particular probably feels a bit too fast because they're trying to connect Ryo's past and the first few hours of the game to set the tone of the next few episodes to come. They had to condense a few things but honestly it all felt fine the way they did it. The only thing I didn't like was Ine-san agreeing to Ryo's revenge thing so easily. That would have never happened in the game. That aside, goddamn, that was GREAT!! The soundtrack is incredible. And can we talk about the ending/credits? That animation was incredible. Gonna have to give this a solid 8.5/10 for now. Next episode may increase that. :D
Exactly this...they have 12 episodes to work with and yeah, it's gonna be condensed.

I'm not saying it's perfect. My issue is more so still with the Chai fight...I guess I understand why they felt they needed something big to finish the first episode with but I thought the Chai fight came way too early. Oh well, will see how it pans out over the next few weeks. Maybe the arcade fight still happens?

I'd say 7.5 to 8 for me. The Chai fight being too early was where it lost points for me. Also maybe just the death of Iwao being a bit too fast paced. I prefer the way the game treats that scene...even down to the music. The music in that opening scene in the game is incredible. The anime version of that scene? Not as much.

Can't wait to rewatch this in Japanese. I'll turn on the English dub every week to boost, but it seems Japanese is prolly the way to go(As a loyal Shenmue English dub enjoyer).

One thing I was disappointed with was there was no classic Shenmue music. I thought they could have had some nice beats while they were eating in the Chinese restaurant, and I think it was a missed opportunity to not have Chai's creepy music.

And I agree that Nozomi looks.... generic. I've seen a lot of people say this and she doesn't look memorable at all. Was that her in the park helping the little boy? I don't even know but I assumed it was.

I think what I disliked about it the most was the flow. It never felt natural, like they were rushing to get through it all. We go from tournament, to Iwao's death, to Ryo wanting revenge, to hanging out with Nozomi and picking up a clue, to fighting Chai in the Dojo. Too rushed, no natural direction and flow, which is everything I feared and have seen in many 12-13 episode anime shows over the years.

I also thought it was a weird direction they took in the end with Ryo's focus kind of shifting from what it was in the games. He was dead set on revenge in the game, but in the anime, he shifted in the end to wanting to understand Iwao more.

Loved it! I hope it's a big enough hook for newcomers. The changes and additions they made all made sense to me from a storytelling perspective, and the rest was pure fanservice in its attention to the details from the games.

Kinda mind blowing that this ill fated niche game from 1999 whose story still hasn't been told by at least half is now a television anime series, and a solidly produced one at that.

And how about those end credits?!

The karate tournament was absolutely needed. Beyond giving us a glimpse of his life before Iwao died it also establishes for the general audience that Ryo is skilled at Karate. This sets the scale for how much more proficient Lan Di is as a fighter when he wipes the floor with Ryo.

I think the first 13 minutes were very good but the last 10 felt somewhat rushed. However this is speaking from 20 years of playing the more leisurely paced game.

I liked the end credits.

Overall I liked the first episode.

I think what I disliked about it the most was the flow. It never felt natural, like they were rushing to get through it all. We go from tournament, to Iwao's death, to Ryo wanting revenge, to hanging out with Nozomi and picking up a clue, to fighting Chai in the Dojo. Too rushed, no natural direction and flow, which is everything I feared and have seen in many 12-13 episode anime shows over the years.

I also thought it was a weird direction they took in the end with Ryo's focus kind of shifting from what it was in the games. He was dead set on revenge in the game, but in the anime, he shifted in the end to wanting to understand Iwao more.

I'm kind of okay with it. He still seems thirsty for revenge to me. But more than that, I've been waiting for in-game Ryo to realize it's a bigger picture than just revenge for years. And that moment still really hasn't come for in-game Ryo. So I'm okay if they play into that with this version of Ryo.

I think after seeing this first episode that I'm gonna just split the two and treat them differently. You're not gonna get the same experience from a 12 episode anime that you will from a what? 100+ hour three game experience (thus far) that gladly takes its time telling the story. (some would say it takes too much time)

Exactly this...they have 12 episodes to work with and yeah, it's gonna be condensed.

I'm not saying it's perfect. My issue is more so still with the Chai fight...I guess I understand why they felt they needed something big to finish the first episode with but I thought the Chai fight came way too early. Oh well, will see how it pans out over the next few weeks.

I'd say 7.5 to 8 for me. The Chai fight being too early was where it lost points for me.
I agree the Chai fight happened a little bit early and the first episode seems faster compare to the original game. But the fight was epic especially with Shenmue theme and I think it was the best way to finish the first episode for newcomers. By the way, the fight reminds me the Dou Niu rooftop fight (flashbacks and etc.).

Last edited:
I wish I could view this thru the lens of someone who knows zero about the games. It's definitely condensed, but I wonder did the story progression feel natural to newcomers. It's never gonna feel quite right to us who have only consumed the game for over 2 decades.

Last edited:
Good characterisation of Lan Di too. His lines are fairly similar to the games, but I feel like they're cast in a slightly different context now? As if he's following a kind of code of honour. He's a killer, but not quite a merciless or indiscriminate one. I think that was always under the surface in the games but it's risen to the top a little more here.

I wish I could view this thru the lens of someone who knows zero about the games. It's definitely condensed, but I wonder did the story progression feel natural to newcomers.

Lol I just saw someone on Twitter who didn't play the game say they liked the episode but the pacing felt "sluggish". I guess for the commoner it's moving either the right speed or slow :LOL::LOL:

Lol I just saw someone on Twitter who didn't play the game say they liked the episode but the pacing felt "sluggish". I guess for the commoner it's moving either the right speed or slow :LOL::LOL:

If that felt sluggish then the games would probably be like watching paint dry to them.

For them, that might feel sluggish. For me, that was like watching Shenmue on fast forward.

I'm kind of okay with it. He still seems thirsty for revenge to me. But more than that, I've been waiting for in-game Ryo to realize it's a bigger picture than just revenge for years. And that moment still really hasn't come for in-game Ryo. So I'm okay if they play into that with this version of Ryo.

I think after seeing this first episode that I'm gonna just split the two and treat them differently. You're not gonna get the same experience from a 12 episode anime that you will from a what? 100+ hour three game experience (thus far) that gladly takes its time telling the story. (some would say it takes too much time)
I would have been okay with him moving on from the revenge motivation if they didn't have him change so quickly. To go from revenge being his biggest motivation to wanting to know more about Iwao so quickly just didn't feel right. I think if they were going down the road of mixing his motivations up a bit and making him see beyond revenge, it would be much better suited to show that during his time spent with Xiuying.

From a far eastern land...​

This is amazing. As someone who has been a fan since the Dreamcast days. I hope you all new to the series will enjoy this tale. And, once you are done experiencing this tale. Seek one of us out, even if it's me. And, we will direct you on how to experience the series on your current-gen systems. As well as bring you to the communities that have been around for well over twenty years. Welcome to the fandom. The anime is top-notch thusfar. Handled with care and passion aimed to honor base source material while also enhancing the base source material. You guys are in for a roller coaster of a ride.

Back