SPOILERS SHENMUE THE ANIMATION EPISODE 10 "Comeback" THREAD

I don't really follow the white thai stuff. Is that little girl Joy? I thought it may have been Xiuying because we never found what happened to how her parents die.
Yeah, it's supposed to be. Same design as Joy's earlier flashback a few episodes ago + Joy's reaction to hearing the Yellow Head name gives it away.

I wonder how canon that stuff about Joy and the White Thai organisation is... 🤔 It'd certainly explain a lot more about her status in the game, which is really only hinted at with her connections to Master Chen and Guizhang.
Knowing Yu Suzuki, highly probable that it is canon!
I remember reading somewhere that Yu had hundreds if not thousands of pages of un-used material that never made it into the games! Be great to know that these kind of sequences aren't just the writers taking liberties themselves, but are working from Yu's original story notes.

Loved seeing Shenhua's dad this early on.

I am disappointed that the counter elbow assault was cut...the Xuiying callback during the fight with Dou Niu was an essential and epic moment.

Loved seeing Shenhua's dad this early on.

I am disappointed that the counter elbow assault was cut...the Xuiying callback during the fight with Dou Niu was an essential and epic moment.
How do you know for sure that it was cut? I think it's possible some events will happen in a different order than the games. There's still 3 episodes left and the rooftop fight hasn't happened yet.

How do you know for sure that it was cut? I think it's possible some events will happen in a different order than the games. There's still 3 episodes left and the rooftop fight hasn't happened yet.

I am definitely hoping it happens next episode, it looks like Xuiying has showed up to save Ryo from Dou Niu before getting clobbered, so she could save him and teach him the move then. There were already a few examples of scenes I thought were cut but they snuck in later on, such as Ziming declaring that he was going after the Chi You Men.

If that happens, great, but I would have preferred the original placement after Ryo leaves Hong Kong for Kowloon.

Honestly this is my only complaint that isn't tied to pacing, which is a direct result of only having 13 episodes to work with.

Edited to add: next weeks trailer seems to have confirmed they will have worked it in. Given that they haven't made the break to Kowloon such a significant turn of the page as in the game, seems like this will work out.

When Ryo shows Yang the herbalist the envelope, he holds it with Yuanda Zhu's name facing upwards, but for some reason the English sub shows it as "To Iwao Hazuki-sensei".

yuanda-zhu-letter.jpg

Seems strange to change it for the translated sub, given that Yang would presumably not have any idea who Iwao is.

When Ryo shows Yang the herbalist the envelope, he holds it with Yuanda Zhu's name facing upwards, but for some reason the English sub shows it as "To Iwao Hazuki-sensei".

View attachment 14800

Seems strange to change it for the translated sub, given that Yang would presumably not have any idea who Iwao is.
How's the anime doing in japan? I was gonna make a seperate thread about it, but i have no real concrete info.

I thought the faster pace totally suited this episode as it was fairly action-packed. Loved the additions.

Interesting they're playing up the friendship between Ren and Ryo (with Joy's comment about them acting like brothers or something along those lines) because I've honestly never seen them as friends. Ryo doesn't trust him at all, and Ren is more abrasive (and slightly annoying, if you're playing in English) in the game. It feels like their path to friendship will be quicker in the anime, which kinda makes sense given the truncated nature of TV vs games.

How's the anime doing in japan? I was gonna make a seperate thread about it, but i have no real concrete info.
I couldn't find anything concrete either (it might be a bit soon) but it might still be good to have a thread for that for people to add any news of feedback / ratings for Japan.

I couldn't find anything concrete either (it might be a bit soon) but it might still be good to have a thread for that for people to add any news of feedback / ratings for Japan.
It’s difficult to gauge because of how many different distributors there are and how few of them provide viewing data, but I did find this.
If all of the distributors are pulling in similar numbers (43k), it seems safe to assume that well over 100k people have watched the first episode so far in Japan.

Here's my recap/review for this week -

I'll copy/paste my 'final thoughts' from the blog post here - I was a bit mixed on this one

While I enjoyed some of the added scenes that gave extra context, i.e. the scene with Lan Di and also Ren’s explanation of the history of the Yellow Heads (and with that a little tease of Joy’s backstory), the events from the game itself were zipped through so quickly that the episode almost risked becoming an incoherent mess. While this was perhaps a little evident in the previous episode as well, this was the first time I felt there being a noticeable struggle to squeeze everything in. This especially causes problems late into the episode, as Dou Niu and Yuan are apparently just able to quickly recover and know exactly where Ryo and Ren have gone! It just felt like this episode was on a mission to cover as much of the Kowloon chapter as it possibly could, perhaps not considering if it would be engaging or easy to follow for anyone who has not played the game. The choice of cliffhanger to end on also felt a little bizarre to me, as surely even newcomers at this point would be able to guess that Xiuying would easily be able to defeat Dou Niu. Don’t get me wrong – I still enjoyed the episode and how it recreated the game’s events for the most part, but I just think the writers should have taken a little extra time to consider how best to present this part of the story in this medium. It’s a slightly disappointing start to Kowloon (also it’s not even entirely clear if we’re in the actual walled city or not!) after the Hong Kong episodes were all mostly stellar. I hope the final few episodes don’t feel quite as rushed or crammed in comparison.

Loved the episode overall. It's very much shot for shot with the game which is fine as the Kowloon section almost encourages you to go after the story.

My issue was the ending was very rushed. I missed finding Iwao's Gi for example in the room before you find Zhu. That would have added a little something to an overall good episode. Looking forward to what comes next!

Even though I don't enjoy the anime like others here I always watch the watchalong and the Dojo Show review on Youtube, simply because I like seeing James and Matt enjoy and discuss it. Now it was very funny to me when James said in the comment section of the Dojo Show, that negative comments probably wouldn't have a chance of being read there and I really laughed out load, because I know I will never make it to one of those xD

Now tbh I barely liked any episode of the anime so far (I think episode 3 is the only episode half decent) but I'd personally never critic the anime harshly anywhere else but here in this very forum, simply because I don't want to harm the brand. Now I do it here because I feel we are the Shenmue family and here is where that kinda stuff belongs.

Now off to my impressions of the episode:

As people, who played the games, we know the scale of Hong Kong and Kowloon and how these places feel compared to each other, and above all, to Japan. They didn't manage to convey that in the anime at all but the introduction of Kowloon was especially abysmal. Other then that I think the episode was fine, even though I didn't really like what they did in the Ghost Gall Building. I liked the more mysterious vibes way more then what they did in the anime. I`d also say this is not nitpicking but the scene with the door opening and Ryo looking at Ren and seeing Zhu sitting there was so atmospheric in the game. Some scenes, like this one or the intro just don`t work in the anime with this amount of episodes due to the pacing...

Now some of the characters are totally botch. Ren is definitely among them. Making Ren smaller in terms of his standing in Hong Kong and making him more friendly to me is very weird. As I said before somehow all the character in the anime are friendlier. To me they took out their edge. I really really don't like that but it is what it is...

The two additional scenes were kinda cool. I'm not sure if showing Lan Di diminishes the impact it had in the game, when you saw him on the helicopter for the first time in a while. To me knowing that the Chi You Men are a superior organisation to the Yellow Heads was established, so why they felt showing off how Lan Di handles stuff is a trade off I wouldn't have made. I`d gave that time to the Ghost Hall building scene.

Another good episode but this one really felt brisk compared to some of the others. I'm really wondering how non-fans feel about the pacing, maybe it felt action packed and exciting, but I'm worried in the attempts to get to the end of S2 they are running the risk of alienating non-fans by not following proper pacing.

I really liked the series of secret passages - it was a creative way to still have the keys without just having it be a search the room puzzle. I kind of wish it was like that in the game instead of those stupid planks.

Back