SPOILERS - Shenmue The Animation Episode 11 "Entangled" thread

Interesting preview. This place don't look like Man Mo Temple, i'm not sure where is this place. After seeing this preview now i feel that in the next episode we will see Xiuying training Ryo, and now i have hope that we will see the catching leaves training in the next episode.

I'm looking forward for the next episode.

Interesting, that pretty much confirms Joy's connection to the White Tai and by extension the Yellow Heads. I admit this kind of depth and character development from Joy is just about the last thing I expected from the anime but I'm glad to see. All the extra care and attention to the supporting characters continues to be the anime's real strength. I wonder what sort of payoff this new subplot with Joy will have?

Also, I know its been mentioned before by a lot of people but I still really love the choice of animation style in the fight scenes. Especially what they did at the beginning with Xiuying in the covenant. That pseudo-motional blur does a really good job of replicating that Dreamcast Shenmue/Virtua Fighter 3 vibe.

That was a fun episode. Big improvement over last weeks!
I like how they're leading up to Joys capture and actually showing the events, filling in what the game didn't do!

They downplayed the street fights a bit, which, fair enough. Tbh they chose the worst street fighter for an anime as well, who cares about Greg. Chunyan would've been a badass match in this anime. Oh well. Still a great episode haha

Great episode again. The work they're doing with the supporting characters is excellent.

Fights looked really good and love how they adapted Xiuying's fighting style. Interesting that we got potentially the name of one of Xiuying's parents.

Joy is getting the Nozomi treatment in that we're getting a better version of the character in the anime than in the game.

I have to say Ren is still likeable but I don't know that the anime fully captured his magnetism from the games.

Anyway, at this stage it very much feels like we may be seeing Kowloon wrapped up next episode and we possibly make it all the way to the cave by the finale unless they really pad the last few fights over 2 episodes.

Man, this is possibly the best episode yet. Great pacing, story, characterization, and action. I had a feeling the street fights were going to be abridged a bit, but it makes sense to me since it's not a big important story element.

I'm glad they were able to fit in the Predictive Explosion moment as well as the character who knew Iwao Hazuki (name escapes me at the moment). There were some nice touches that added a bit more tension, like knowing Ren was being followed, Wong overhearing the Yellow Heads and then being chased, and the scout entry being a set-up.

And yeah, it looks like we're going to wrap up Kowloon next week and will have a full episode for Guilin! Didn't think we'd be able to get here.

Some comparisons:

We also have a remix of Tom's music from episode 1 playing over Ryo beating the street fighters. He seems to fight Greg in the Black Heaven Building, and we have a glimpse of Baihu! Inside the Yellow Head office, we also hear Yuan ponder if Xiuying is "Chun's daughter", clearl alluding to Joy, seeing as her father's name is Chunyun Liang: https://shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21663

Attachments

• Acrobat.png
    Acrobat.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Acrobat Game.png
    Acrobat Game.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Game Passive Raid.png
    Game Passive Raid.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Passive Raid.png
    Passive Raid.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • Greg Moore.png
    Greg Moore.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • Iron Head.png
    Iron Head.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Iron Head Game.png
    Iron Head Game.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Wow, this was probably the most martial arts-heavy episode so far. Absolutely loved it.

For the last episode I said that I would need to see more Kowloon episodes to properly judge it, and this did a good job of redeeming it.

A bit gutted that they cut out two of the three big street fights, but still thoroughly enjoyed the episode. What’s more, I’m happy that we’re now firmly back on track to reach the cave by the end of episode 13.

Kind of sucks that this episode skipped over 2/3 of the big fights that were in the original game to gain access into the Yellow Head Building but now we know the big fight between Ryo and Dou Niu will be in the next episode. Again, loved how they brought up Joy's back story in more detail with her mom getting assassinated because her dad was in the Chinese syndicate. These little touches make the anime worth watching because you know these were parts of the game that had to be cut for budget/time reasons. Feels like the anime is breathing life into these scenes in the story that were on the cutting room floor of the game. Hope we get more of this cut content in these last two remaining episodes.

My goodness, this might just be the best episode yet. So much crammed in, but in a masterful way. The MVP this episode must be the editor to get so much in, but in a way the last episode was sadly lacking. Of course, there are bits where I can see some corners were cut and some precious seconds could've been used not using flashback scenes, but otherwise the episode had me pumped in a way the last only just missed out on.

Xiuying and Ryo's spar in the moonlight, Joy's backstory, scenes I totally forgot about such as the pitch black spar, Ren's anger at betting against Ryo - all absolutely brilliant. I would've liked perhaps a reference to the blind martial artist in an earlier episode (something those precious seconds could've probably used), but honestly, I have few complaints. Would've loved Chunyan as the underground artist to fight (Greg is a bit generic), but hey ho!

Two weeks to go...and then it's all over...for the time being I hope. It's a wonderful time to be a Shenmue fan.

Last edited:
Great episode!

-no leaf catching?! Boo! Although I think them linking Xiuying's teaching with the predictive explosion scene was clever.

-when Yuan said said 'do you think she's Chun's daughter?' I was like 'whaaaaaaat?! Holy shit Xiuying's parents were cartel?!' But as Nathan's explained above it's a reference to Joy's father, nice but I thought we were getting some major new info for a mo lol

-nice fight sequences! Shame they chose Greg as the main fight...

-Master Baihu could've easily been the main fight! He looked awesome in anime form, please let there be a fight or some further interaction with him. Him and Niao Sun were probably the most enigmatic characters by the end of S2, obviously she got some attention in S3 but hoping Baihu gets some more love in the anime.

Overall one of the best episodes I'd say.

Great episode this one. Seeing Zhu pimp slap one of Dou Niu's men with his cane was awesome :ROFLMAO: Was good to finally see Xiuying in action, thought it would cut after her trademark foot shuffle.

Really liked that upbeat remix of the theme that plays toward the end of the episode. The music's been a real treat and i'm kinda glad they didn't just recycle music from the games as good as they are.

Back