SPOILERS - Shenmue The Animation Episode 12 "Guidepost" thread

I haven't watched any previews but I can't imagine the Lan Di fight will take much time if he's as untouchable as he should be. That said, Ryo's been a lot stronger in the anime.

But interested to see why Lan Di would get off the chopper, only to get back on it...I guess Zhu is the obvious answer. Would he kidnap Zhu? Curious to see how they spin this.
Maybe Dou Niu interrupts the situation, e.g he turns on Lan Di because he doesn't help him in the battle with Ryo, an injured Dou Niu regains consensus and tries to set the roof on fire as revenge, in a reworked version of Shenmue 3's ending. Some kind of interruption.

I shall go back and read everyone's thoughts in a moment - here is my recap/review!

Copy/paste of my final thoughts, including speculation about next week:

This was a very impressive and engaging episode, and I was particularly pleased to see just how much more of an active role the supporting characters were given in the infiltration of the Yellow Head Building. Wong makes a very touching speech at the beginning of the episode about how meeting Ryo has changed his attitude of things, and it adds a surprising level of depth to the character. And despite her initial reluctance to help and unwillingness to drop her toughened facade, Joy has certainly been made a lot more likable and given a lot more depth than her game counterpart throughout her appearances in the anime. It’s also pleasing to see more of Zhu Yuanda as well – and a good reminder of his knowledge of the martial arts! The only real disappointment I had was how Baihu was handled, who really suffered due to the limited runtime and fast pacing. Having said that, I honestly expected the entirety of the Yellow Head Building plus Zhu’s rescue to be covered across one episode, so it was a pleasant surprise to see this episode end where it did. With one episode left, the question is – will they be able to convincingly wrap up the Kowloon portion of the storyline and also commence the Guilin portion, leaving us in the cave with Ryo and Shenhua as Shenmue II did way back in 2001? Why am I assuming that the season will end there? This is for a number of reasons that seem to indicate this will be the case:

• Next week’s episode, the season finale, is entitled ‘Shenmue’ – this seems to suggest that we will see the titular tree before the end of the episode
  • Both Ryo and Shenhua announce the title of the following episode in unison after this week’s end credits – suggesting that the two will finally meet.
  • Episode 1 began with the scene of Ryo and Shenhua in the stone pit before we went backwards to the story beginning in Yokosuka – having the season end here would be an effective bookend.
Having said this however, it is already clear there will be some changes made – from the preview for next week’s episode, we can see that Lan Di actually sets foot on the roof and engages in battle with Ryo – this does not happen in Shenmue II, where he simply watches the fight between Ryo and Dou Niu from above before making his getaway. This also raises another question – will the fight between Ryo and Dou Niu even happen in the anime? In the game continuity, Ryo and Lan Di do not have a battle like this until the end of Shenmue III in Niaowu, so it is an interesting choice to make this happen earlier in the anime.

Also, if this season does indeed end where Shenmue II does, that still leaves a lot of ground to cover for next week. Regardless of whether Ryo fights Dou Niu or just Lan Di, there is the rescue of Zhu, the discussion back at Ren’s Hideout that results in Zhu recommending Ryo go to Guilin, Ryo’s farewell to Xiuying, the arrival to Guilin, the meeting with Shenhua and her and Ryo’s journey to her house in Bailu Village, the reveal of the Shenmue tree, and finally of course, that fateful scene in the stone pit. If all this is covered next week, we can of course expect Ryo and Shenhua’s long trek to the village to be truncated by a fair bit. This of course I would understand, but I hope the episode as a whole does not end up feeling rushed due to the sheer amount of ground needing to be covered.

At any rate, we shall see! As far as this episode goes, my only real gripe was Baihu not being done complete justice, but I can forgive this I suppose. Therefore, I will give this one a 4/5.

About Baihu:

As far as I'm aware, no Shenmue media makes it clear if Baihu is Yellow Head or Chi You Men (or neither) He isn't included in either the 'Yellow Head' or 'Chi You Men' sections of character profiles in the official guidebooks (he's cited as an 'Event' character, along with characters like Eileen etc). The CYM black suits in the game call him Master Baihu, but its still not made explicit which organisation he belongs to. The anime does mention the underground street fights in Kowloon are organised by the Yellow Heads, and we saw Baihu at one of these in Ep 11. In short - we don't know if he's affiliated with either, it's not made clear at all.

Pretty bad episode, possible among the worst unfortunately.

I really think just like the Ghost Hall Building, they didn't manage to capture the weird atmosphere of the yellow head building at all. To me it is essential that it starts out weird, is run down in the middle and at the top, where it distance itself most from everything it want to govern down below, it becomes artificial beautiful. I think there is barely one place in the whole anime, where they managed to capture the games atmosphere. There not being a top floor is very disappointing, especially since they probably showed it off in the Lan Di/Dou Niu scene.!

The whole Joy and Wong plot point barely makes any sense, especially when her sacrifice is essentially so that a little boy MIGHT be able to help to reach some sort of catharsis, which he kind of already had on the boat when he saved Ryo and gave him the lighter. In Shenmue II they at least actively needed him for his lock picking skills and him following them made sense for his character, but even though it was not smart by him, not involving anyone when he made that decision made it a character trade that was understandable. Also the amount of time they spend on Wong and Joy in comparison to Ryo and Ren is in no relation... And how the whole situation with both of them being alone, where they are held and how the situation gets resolved, especially with the whole rats thing, in parts mirrors the cornyness of Ryos friends saving Nozomi. I think it is simply silly and bad.

The Master Baihu fight obviously was ridiculously bad, but I also think showing him off beforehand was also a detriment to what he came off as in the game. I also dislike his look. I do like though, that it was his call for taking Joy though. I think adopting in my headcanon for the game, that Master Baihu wanted to fight Ryo because he had information on him and that being the reason for him taking Joy to make Ryo fight him is pretty good!

I liked that the planks made at least one appearance. That's about the only good thing about this episode.

Loving the additional content that this episode brought to the table. That being where the anime actually explains how Joy and Wong ended up in the Yellow Head Building instead of in the game where Joy and Wong were just held hostage. Really enjoyed the fight between Ryo and Maser Baihu being in the anime as well. Can't wait for the season finale this Saturday with the rooftop fight which is definitely the highlight of Shenmue 2 in my opinion.

About Baihu:

As far as I'm aware, no Shenmue media makes it clear if Baihu is Yellow Head or Chi You Men (or neither) He isn't included in either the 'Yellow Head' or 'Chi You Men' sections of character profiles in the official guidebooks (he's cited as an 'Event' character, along with characters like Eileen etc). The CYM black suits in the game call him Master Baihu, but its still not made explicit which organisation he belongs to. The anime does mention the underground street fights in Kowloon are organised by the Yellow Heads, and we saw Baihu at one of these in Ep 11. In short - we don't know if he's affiliated with either, it's not made clear at all.
But... He's not Ziming is he 😄😉

Great episode. What I love about how they do with Kowloon is the lighting. Based on actual pictures and videos, with its structure, there would be little to no sunlight and it looks as filthy as the actual old Kowloon structure as well. I also love how in the end, Ryo recalls the four wude to beat Baihu (despite being much easier than his game counterpart). The action does feel appropriately “anime.” But I was hoping he’d fight the Chiyoumen suits before he got to the roof. Maybe Ryo and Ren will fight them next episode along with Douniu and Lan Di?

My analysis for EP 12 is now in the blog of the Dojo. Next week is the season finale, i will miss this time of Shenmue content every week. I want to thank everyone who is reading my Analysis of the episodes, thank you all for the support.

1651157790743.png

Yeah Baihu fight has been the one time the anime has made me cringe. I get that they likely need budget for the finale but man that was bad. Its like they cut out the complete first portion of Ryo getting his ass kicked a bit before remembering his Wude. This has been the only episode that I can consider bad though.

Back