SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation: Episode 2 - Daybreak - Thread

I love all of your posts so far! Same thoughts I've had except for the QTE idea! That Bailu scene was awesome! Goosebumps all the way through! Mingyang, Elder Yeh, the fat Tai Chi guy, what looked the kid you find last in hide and seek, and the pink shirt little girl. I'm forgetting names!

Music is awesome, too. Theme and soundtrack!

Just finished it myself. Lots of thoughts but will need more time to process it.

The episodes continue to feel like they are moving at warp speed. Not sure if I like the consistent flashbacks especially for things just shown in the episode. They are also really leaning into that prophecy huh?

Really liked the remixed scenes with Yamagishi and the nightmare sequence. Will post more detailed thoughts soon.

Alright, so where do we begin? Well obviously we're not getting much in the way of sidequests in this anime as there is literally no Megumi or the cat to be seen (unless they restructure and have a reference somewhere)

I think it was a novel approach to abbreviate the detective mode of the game. It does in many ways feel like cliff notes of the detective stuff but I'm okay with that. It moves along at a brisk pace and makes sense. I like the little changes they've made to keep it flowing. It is very quick, there is no denying that. The pace just goes and goes.

I was stoked to see the Bailu crew. I really did not expect to see anyone else from Bailu in this series but holy crap, there they were!

Arcade sequence! Now just give me a capsule toy sequence and we're good.

I really love the fact that the anime allows for other perspectives. I love that we're not so tied to Ryo in this and it does allow us to see other things going on. That's maybe my favorite part on this take as a whole. It's different but familiar.

Was surprised they changed the location of that fight from the carpark to empty storage room (?) I thought for sure that fight was at the docks when I saw it teased in the trailer, but no. It's way earlier.

I kind of like that Chai has a big presence and is always lingering around Ryo. That's kind of neat.

And I really, really loved the Double Blow moment at the end! That payoff was awesome!

Omg

I love this.
Ono - San, Kurita - san, the arcade, the Akira and Pai figures in the flashback, the thugs that ask you to join their gang by getting a tattoo, the Double Blow, the Elbow Assault, the altar room, the first 70 man battle boss, the thugs in Heartbeats....

Omg

I love this.
Ono - San, Kurita - san, the arcade, the Akira and Pai figures in the flashback, the thugs that ask you to join their gang by getting a tattoo, the Double Blow, the Elbow Assault, the altar room, the first 70 man battle boss, the thugs in Heartbeats....
The altar room call back was a really nice touch. I absolutely love the location in the game and the fact Ryo has unique lines of dialogue depending where he is in the story. I do feel it’s odd Ine-San isn’t nearly as maternal or strict about Ryo’s quest for vengeance here, that was source of a lot of friction in the games but can understand why it was omitted here.

I didn't really feel such a warp speed in this episode at all. I thought the pacing was where it should be.

Anyways, that was even better than the first episode. What a treat that was! So many references, so much character building. omg. I can't contain myself LOL

I didn't really feel such a warp speed in this episode at all. I thought the pacing was where it should be.

Anyways, that was even better than the first episode. What a treat that was! So many references, so much character building. omg. I can't contain myself LOL
The detective mode stuff was where I felt it the most...but then again, I think we're all used to waiting around for stuff to open :LOL:. The detective stuff just goes by very quickly. The rest of it I felt was fine though.

Love the faithful recreation of the scenes and backgrounds. I was quite shocked that they included the Bailu crew. Some of the twists and changes were done well, fight scenes are a little bit quick but I suppose that ties into the whole not wasting flashy moves concept. Seeing the arcade was awesome as well as heart beats bar.

I'm not gonna pull punches here. I will say some of the animation does show budget limitations. You really notice it with static background characters who have no life whatsoever to them. I can see the corners cut with the animation. It's not the greatest looking show. I like the look of it, but the budget does show in some regards. Especially in some of the fight sequences and static background characters.

Other than that, I love what I've seen so far. I love that they're really leaning into the mystery moreso.

But also, come to think of it, we saw so much of the early stuff in trailers. Like a lot of the fights in this episode have been key sequences in some of those trailers. Now I'm just even more keen to see the stuff we haven't seen yet. Most notably Hong Kong.

In episode 1 I thought they were using Shnemue 3 as a reference for the design of Bailu village, the presence of so many villagers directly from the game confirms that fact. Nice to see Shenmue 3 being directly aknowledged in the anime, even if the game wasn't published by Sega.

I also like how the anime is taking more time to develop Ryo's relationships with the people around him. That sometimes gets lost in the shuffle with Shenmue's open ended gameplay, depending on how the player handles things. Suffice to say, I'm please to see that Nozomi is getting so much screen time this early in the story.

The trickier part is going to be Shenhua. It's certainly interesting that that audeince is being introduced to her immediatly. Hard to say though how the writers will keep expanding on her material in Bailu village. Strictly speaking Shenhua's story doesn't really begin until she meets Ryo.

The trickier part is going to be Shenhua. It's certainly interesting that that audeince is being introduced to her immediatly. Hard to say though how the writers will keep expanding on her material in Bailu village. Strictly speaking Shenhua's story doesn't really begin until she meets Ryo.

Yeah that’s a great question and what I am wondering also. She’s recited the poem a few times already, maybe see early hints of glimpses of Yuan’s work in the caves?

So I guess, judging by the pace...Next Episode will be Master Chen and finding the 2nd mirror in the basement...maybe also trying to get the ticket to Hong Kong at the end?

Then the episode after that will be working at the harbor and making noise. And then maybe the 70 man battle. Followed by final fight with Chai at the end of Shenmue 1? That's what I'm thinking so far.

Also, do you think there is a chance we get the missing boat sequence?

Back