SPOILERS SHENMUE THE ANIMATION EPISODE 7 "Future" THREAD

Fantastic episode, S1 is my favourite game experience, but S2 has a better narrative and you can tell from the anime. I hope they grennlight a Season 2 with extended-better storytelling from S3, if they can do things like in this episode, go ahead!!

Can I ask is there much dialogue with Zongquan in Shenmue 2 after his Wudu section? I too was surprised to see how much time was devoted to him and am curious in the game if he provides any further information or unique dialogue at other story points during HK section?
I remember he teaches you a throw

I remember he teaches you a throw
You are confusing him with Master Zhoushan Xuan who teaches you Wild throw move.

I am actually replaying Shenmue 2 right now and tried a few times talking to Zongquan and he barely gives much more than basic information during story beats. Although you do get a slightly comical answer if you ask him about gambling locations.

What is the anime's creators obsession with the swallow dive? I don't think Ryo has even used the technique Yamagishi san taught him once lol

What is the anime's creators obsession with the swallow dive? I don't think Ryo has even used the technique Yamagishi san taught him once lol
I’m more concerned as to why Ryo feels the need to shout the move’s name out loud each time that he uses it. I’m no martial arts expert, but I’m going to assume that announcing your intentions to your opponent would probably put you at something of a disadvantage in a fight.

I’m more concerned as to why Ryo feels the need to shout the move’s name out loud each time that he uses it. I’m no martial arts expert, but I’m going to assume that announcing your intentions to your opponent would probably put you at something of a disadvantage in a fight.
That's just how the vast majority of fighting anime is. Kamehame ha, Rasengan, Gomo Gomo, Getsuga Tensho, 1st step, 1st breath, etc etc.

I find it quite charming personally.

Question

I'm watching through my second time.

When Ryo asks Hanhui "Why are you helping me?"

Hanhui replies "I'm not doing it for you?"

Who does he mean? I assume it is Lishao Tao, but why does it help her? Any thoughts?

Question

I'm watching through my second time.

When Ryo asks Hanhui "Why are you helping me?"

Hanhui replies "I'm not doing it for you?"

Who does he mean? I assume it is Lishao Tao, but why does it help her? Any thoughts?
Xiuying has always blamed herself for her brother leaving and the path that he embarks upon. Through Ryo, she’s ultimately able to accept that there was nothing she could have done to stop Zimming even if she had held the status and knowledge that she holds today way back then. At least that’s the way I always saw it, anyway. She helps Ryo, but he also helps her to forgive herself.

Last edited:
Xiuying has always blamed herself for her brother leaving and the path that he embarks upon. Through Ryo, she’s ultimately able to accept that there was nothing she could have done to stop Zimming even if she had held the status and knowledge that she holds today way back then. At least that’s the way I always saw it, anyway. She helps Ryo, but he also helps her to forgive herself.
That makes a lot of sense. Really well understood on your part Tomboz - thanks!

Back