SPOILERS SHENMUE THE ANIMATION EPISODE 7 "Future" THREAD

Yeah man I think a lot of the context went above your head. The point of the wude SHOULD be to learn within and exhibit them. that is what anime ryo has done. He didnt teach it to the street performer, he simply stated that he now understands and he doesnt want him to go against it. Him fighting the thugs is fine. its about spectacle and doing more than whats necessary. He did the bare minimum which is the point of that wude.
I disagree. He learns about the wude and by chance or through his former education he either has them or does not. That`s why Xiuying blatantly tells him after she revealed herself which wude he has and which he doesn`t have. Ryo having Jie leads Shenmue ad absurdum...

Concerning the streetperformer: If they wanted to show that off they should have depicted it like Ryos fight with the heavens crew. The streetperformer was kicking the ever living crap out of the yellow heads. I don`t see what you are saying at all.

Finally watched it. Thoughts:

Glad Fanmei made it in.

I like having Ryo learn the Wude as a means to impress and earn the right to receive Xiuyings help. Rather than learning all 4 just to meet Xiuying in game.

Cool to see Yellow Heads before Kowloon. Hoping to see Ryo fight Heavens members too.

Seeing Ren learn about Ryo and search him out without Ryos knowledge is a nice addition to the lore. Wonder if he will still want 500HK from Ryo.

Once the COGH owner demands Ryo start paying, Ryo peaces out and is now staying with Xiuyung.

Weren't those conversations between Ren + Joy, and Fangmei + Xiuying a gift?

I'm almost certain we never see Fangmei and Xiuying directly interact in the game. So much was conveyed about their relationship in less than minute - a sense of mutual respect, but also of familiarity: Fangmei's line "I sensed your room would need cleaning" I read as an earnest poke at Xiuying's untidiness, and adds this delightful cheekiness to Fangmei's character which we didn't see so much of in the game [teasing Xiuying may only be a freedom that Fangmei enjoys] plus her gentle teasing of Ryo's insufficient kung-fu - serious 'lol dude, you got your ass handed to you' energy from this kid. Hanhui scolding her for butting into Ryo and Xiuying's business, but then later seeing them eavesdrop together outside Xiuying's room was delightful. Love that we get to see this almost "stern parent-pesky child" dynamic between Hanhui and Fangmei.

I loved the short flashbacks of Ziming. They were enough to capture how haunted Xiuying is - creeping up on her (and the audience) when she is reading, but they didn't give too much away, so they were immediately compelling - given that it's one of the most compelling aspects of the game, I'm glad the first steps did it justice.

Joy and Ren. Their banter in this episode basically confirms to me that they must have boned at some point, right?! Their prior relationship is left to the imagination in the game. Friends, frenemies, exes - whatever they are - I loved to see the back and forth. I like that Ren is introduced to us before he meets Ryo here. The scene with Joy establishes Ren as bit of a jerk with a slightly extra personality [e.g. throwing the knife into the road before Joy, loved it!) but also shows he has status and is strategic, implied by Wong running to him and blabbing about Ryo, his subsequent interest in Ryo and Joy's willingness to help Ren out with finding Ryo. Getting a flavour of Ren's personality prior to meeting Ryo only adds to the anticipation of the moment when the two heavyweights Ryo and Ren finally meet. Plus it does flip the formula of "Ryo hears about this person > Ryo tries to find said person > said person is finally revealed" which is a structural freedom the anime can enjoy, and is already used effectively with Shenhua.

(I still want to see Ren step out of the shadows and try to knife Ryo though, that reveal gives me goosebumps each time!)

Last edited:
Interesting Ren has a level of interest in Ryo prior to Ryo even knowing about the Heavens. And Ryo is treating the swallow dive like the damn elbow assault. The fight at the Mall was a cool little addition. I'm guessing they are just going to skip the need for Ryo to earn money. Makes sense though as working doesn't bring him closer to anything like the harbor did regarding the Msd Angels

Bit late to the party this week! Here's my recap/review:

Mixed feelings about this one! While it's nice to see Zongquan get some more depth (and a nice way of introducing the Yellow Heads) - it does make me wonder how the pacing will go in the remaining six episodes - I just hope the latter part of Shenmue II's story doesn't suffer due to the time spent on the early part. I honestly thought Ryo would learn all of the remaining Wude in this episode, given the anime's pace so far.

Was also very surprised to see Eileen in the Episode 8 preview, considering she's an entirely optional character to encounter in the game! This anime is certainly keeping the longtime fans like me on their toes that's for sure...

Also...this is only the second time we've seen a Fangmei/Xiuying interaction (it never occurs in Shenmue II), the other being in one of the sidestory comics:

Last edited:
I always pay him... he did us a solid when we needed it, you know!?
Only after you told him it was Joy who put you up to it, he'd have been happy leaving Ryo out on the street :LOL:

I wonder if the anime will explore or make mention of Joy's connection to the Chens and how Gui Zhang saved her when she was a child.

Can I ask is there much dialogue with Zongquan in Shenmue 2 after his Wudu section? I too was surprised to see how much time was devoted to him and am curious in the game if he provides any further information or unique dialogue at other story points during HK section?

Back