Stamina...

Telekill

Sega Game Gear Enthusiast
Currently playing
FF7 Rebirth (PS5), Helldivers 2 (PS5), God of War: R (PS5)
Ok, I'm not far into the game, maybe a couple hours, but I have to say that I find the stamina pretty annoying. If it didn't deplete so quickly, it wouldn't be as annoying but I ran everywhere in the first two games and now I can't.

So far stamina is the only issue I have with the game.

That's good to hear. I imagine it would be worse continuously having to eat every 5 min throughout the entire game.

I can run almost everywhere (6 hours in) and only have to fill up a bit, twice a day (which I'm sure will improve even more, as I build up more stamina); not only do you gain more orbs, but they deplete MUCH slower, as you build up stamina.

Ok, I'm not far into the game, maybe a couple hours, but I have to say that I find the stamina pretty annoying. If it didn't deplete so quickly, it wouldn't be as annoying but I ran everywhere in the first two games and now I can't.

So far stamina is the only issue I have with the game.
Eating 15 random vegetables from a menu screen to be able run doesn't really fit with Shenmue. A better way would've been for Ryo to buy meals and snacks in order to restore Kung Fu and endurance stats rather than HP. Less annoying and more 'immersive'.

I agree the stamina does deplete too quickly but luckily the food is very cheap to replenish it, so I never found it a big issue.

Stamina actually doesn't bother me. I only need to eat maybe 4 items a day and that's if I feel it necessary to do any more exploration or training for the day. I usually do everything I need to do before my stamina runs out unless I fight that day or train.

I can run almost everywhere (6 hours in) and only have to fill up a bit, twice a day (which I'm sure will improve even more, as I build up more stamina); not only do you gain more orbs, but they deplete MUCH slower, as you build up stamina.

It's still an annoying and pointless feature. It's tedious and takes away from the immersion of the game.

The last game I remember doing this was MGS3 and it was dated even then. I can't believe they've added this to a 2019 game when it was never part of the first 2.

So making something MORE realistic and fit in the game, takes away from immersion?

o...k then.

BTW, you left your Longboats and Canoes in Newfoundland for... 700 years or so (may be off on the timeline). Can you come collect them?

EDIT* As I wrote in the other thread, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is a, "BAD," mechanic; it works, works well and fits in with the framework of the title. Nothing wrong with that, just deal with it.

I still hope they make this feature optional later via a patch. I got used to the dated technology and all the other shortcomings the game has but I hated the draining stamina until the end and it is annoying to regularly stuff Ryo with loads of garlic, buns or something else to get the gauge full again.

They could have at least separated this from the regular energy gauge and/or raised the replenish value of the food a bit, most of it only fills up one or to spheres.

Last edited:
(Not directed at you, Seraph)

I seriously don't see the issue here; just train a shitload and the stamina gets built up; I'm 1 1/2 orbs away from full (I think) and I can run from Verdant Bridge to the square with exhausting only one orb.

If we had 3 orbs, that's one thing, but we have 10 or whatever; the game has evolved and added a new mechanic. Instead of bitching about it, work on how to abuse and pick apart/exploit the mechanic as much as possible, then play the game while keeping it in mind.

Like people who reviewed MDK2 on the Dreamcast poorly because, "it has a different control scheme." Bullshit; it works perfectly fine, if you can't adapt, then stop bitching and figure out a way to adapt to the system.

Or, stop playing the game and go home.

So making something MORE realistic and fit in the game, takes away from immersion?

o...k then.

BTW, you left your Longboats and Canoes in Newfoundland for... 700 years or so (may be off on the timeline). Can you come collect them?

EDIT* As I wrote in the other thread, just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it is a, "BAD," mechanic; it works, works well and fits in with the framework of the title. Nothing wrong with that, just deal with it.

Are you saying eating raw bulbs of garlic through a menu screen is more realistic?

Drop the condescending attitude and don't tell me to just deal with it. I'm allowed my opinion that it's bad as much as you're allowed yours that it's good. FYI I'm still really enjoying the game just not this particular aspect.

o...k then.

Well just for you to understand why I'm done with some of you it's exactly what I was talking about in the other thread, you too can take almost none of the criticism of the game that others have with it.

Are you saying eating raw bulbs of garlic through a menu screen is more realistic?

Drop the condescending attitude and don't tell me to just deal with it. I'm allowed my opinion that it's bad as much as you're allowed yours that it's good. FYI I'm still really enjoying the game just not this particular aspect.

You've never eaten raw garlic?

Not that I do frequently, but you'd be AMAZED at how good you feel and how much energy you get. Sure, your breath will stink (REALLY badly), but eating garlic (raw, in particular) is actually VERY realistic. Fridge Brilliance if I ever saw it.

Again, like I will say to our French friend below, no condescension at all; its a new mechanic in the game and not only does it work, it works well.

Therefore, instead of bitching about how you don't like it, why don't you try a work around? Just because you can't adapt to an UNBROKEN game mechanic, doesn't mean its bad.

We've said our pieces and I will say no more on the subject.

Well just for you to understand why I'm done with some of you it's exactly what I was talking about in the other thread, you too can take almost none of the criticism of the game that others have with it.

Its not a criticism if laziness gets in the way; you not liking it doesn't mean its bad.

I don't like Onions, sunny days or the New York Yankees, but its doesn't make them objectively, "bad," things. So what do I do to not deal with them? I adapt; I avoid eating, cooking or smelling onions. I adapt; I stay inside on bright sunny days or stand in shade for as long as possible. I adapt; I don't watch the friggin' team and don't go to any of their games.

Also, as mentioned above, this is going in circles, thus I wish to speak no more about it.

Adieu et bonne chance!

You've never eaten raw garlic?

Not that I do frequently, but you'd be AMAZED at how good you feel and how much energy you get. Sure, your breath will stink (REALLY badly), but eating garlic (raw, in particular) is actually VERY realistic. Fridge Brilliance if I ever saw it.

Again, like I will say to our French friend below, no condescension at all; its a new mechanic in the game and not only does it work, it works well.

Therefore, instead of bitching about how you don't like it, why don't you try a work around? Just because you can't adapt to an UNBROKEN game mechanic, doesn't mean its bad.

Are you taking the piss or seriously this stupid?

It seems you can't read, because I AM working around it. I said I'm enjoying the game despite this incredibly pointless feature.

Something like the Cola machine animation from the old games to buy food at stores to top up your stats would've worked much better.

Like people who reviewed MDK2 on the Dreamcast poorly because, "it has a different control scheme." Bullshit; it works perfectly fine, if you can't adapt, then stop bitching and figure out a way to adapt to

Or, stop playing the game and go home.
What a condescending and arrogant post. Iā€™m actually taken aback. Telling people to stop playing the game because they have a legitimate criticism. The stamina system is horrendous. The worst thing about the game and ruins a lot of the immersion and joy of exploring which was a such a huge part of what made the first two so special.

Last edited:
Something like the Cola machine animation from the old games to buy food at stores to top up your stats would've worked much better.

I'm surprised this isn't what they went for. Just put a bunch of cola and food machines in random spots and then we can fill up on food and drink and replenish our health that way. Add a special prize in the machines and it makes things fun.

I like the idea of the stamina and how it encourages you to actually get money to buy food, but I think tying it directly to health was a horrible idea, it should of been a separate stamina bar altogether that when depleted starts depleting ryo's health rather than just making it feel like ryo is about to drop dead after walking 100 feet..

I don't like Onions, sunny days or the New York Yankees, but its doesn't make them objectively, "bad," things.

YOU get out of this thread RIGHT THIS DAMN MINUTE with that terrible Yankees take! :p

In all seriousness I'm not a huge fan of the stamina system at least particularly in the beginning of the game. I don't mind it exists but I thought they made Ryo, an athletic guy in his own right, gas out too quickly. However trust me it legitimately gets better. I just chop wood every morning and get a little garlic however it helped that I enjoyed the wood chopping minigame.

Back