Stars - Big Dipper and Cassiopeia

JP_

Favourite title
Shenmue II
3DCE0348-F6BF-430E-8937-A021D86F4E51.jpeg

In this cutscene when Ryo asks about the Phoenix Mirror in the Russiya shop, we have this part with the Dragon as the Big Dipper asterism on the left and the Cassiopeia stars on the right as the Phoenix.

We have the Big Dipper mentioned a couple more times later on in the games, first with Ren on the roof and later with Shenhua. We also have it as the pattern on the Sword of the Seven Stars.

So far as I know Cassiopeia is never mentioned again. But might it come up later in the story?

I thought the same thing – I’m listening back through episode 4 of the dojo show, is it there?
I think so. Its been ages since that one and James remembers the shows better than me.

Reactions: JP_
Oh love the stuff about the stars! I think you're right that the cassiopeia is never mentioned again! When Zhu blokes the smoke on the phoenix mirror, the lights form the big dipper is shown...so you would assume the dragon mirror displays the cassiopeia formation out of that one. Shenhua mentions the North Star, and that when it flickers something bad happens or something. Which makes both formations interesting because inbetween them is the North Star which is called Polaris according to this image:

1000-dem022819adAP_1200_742_s.jpg

Interesting topic of discussion! I'd like to do more Chinese mythology or whatever regarding the stars, would be some interesting stuff to learn :)

Back