Steam page is live!

It wouldn't be a discussion about Shenmue III without character model Photoshops.

ryoalternate_comp4zdeh.jpg

Very minor changes. Would be absolutely 100% fine with the Ryo model on the left, but I was curious what I'd end up with if I tried removing my own personal nitpicks on proportions.
Looks great, minor changes but make a diference

Last edited:
We've already seen Ryo throw some pretty impressive kicks in the trailers so I can't say I'm worried.

I don't think the QTE Title screenshot is a 100% accurate representation of what we're going to get in-game. There is zero aliasing, even around fine strands of hair (the survey video was smooth but if you pause you can still see some aliasing), and the self-shadowing is extremely accurate (the ambient occlusion around Ryo's face casting a shadow on his arm, for example). I have no doubt they're in-game assets and probably running in-engine too, but they've cranked up the effects to smooth things out, as is typical for promotional screenshots. Basically any time a game has "in-engine" plastered on footage or screenshots, what they really mean is "we have turned everything up to 1000% percent and what you see would run at 1-2 frames per second on your average PC".

I thought it would be obvious to most people that that specific screenshot would not be 100% representative of the final game and that it would be recognized as an obvious render. The same thing happens with most highly advanced graphical games when developers post HD renders of characters online such as has happened with Forza: Horizon 4, Halo 5 Guardians, Uncharted 4, God of War, and Horizon: Zero Dawn. No one expects to see such insane visual fidelity in the actual game, it's just a representation of what the polygonal model is capable of in the best case scenario with all bells and whistles enabled. It's essentially a CG "painting"
A game trying to run that would probably play at 2FPS.

I thought it would be obvious to most people that that specific screenshot would not be 100% representative of the final game and that it would be recognized as an obvious render. The same thing happens with most highly advanced graphical games when developers post HD renders of characters online such as has happened with Forza: Horizon 4, Halo 5 Guardians, Uncharted 4, God of War, and Horizon: Zero Dawn. No one expects to see such insane visual fidelity in the actual game, it's just a representation of what the polygonal model is capable of in the best case scenario with all bells and whistles enabled. It's essentially a CG "painting"
A game trying to run that would probably play at 2FPS.

These graphics are possible ingame to me, but you need a PC and enabling all the ultra settings. The anti-aliasing options are the most important ones to get a faithful "CGI" feel.

Last edited:
These graphics are still easily possible ingame though, but you need a PC and enabling all the ultra settings. The anti-aliasing options are the most important ones to get a faithful "CGI" feel.
That's the issue I'm getting at. Maybe if you have a 1080 Ti/i9 or equivalent you could get close to this quality of AA and AO, perhaps HBAO or something, but it still seems a bit too smooth and accurate to me.

On PS4 it's not going to come close, but I agree that most people should know by now that these type of screenshots aren't 100% representative...you'd be surprised, though. People are constantly complaining about "downgrades" when a game comes out and isn't an exact match for pre-release screens and footage.

That's the issue I'm getting at. Maybe if you have a 1080 Ti/i9 or equivalent you could get close to this quality of AA and AO, perhaps HBAO or something, but it still seems a bit too smooth and accurate to me.

On PS4 it's not going to come close, but I agree that most people should know by now that these type of screenshots aren't 100% representative...you'd be surprised, though. People are constantly complaining about "downgrades" when a game comes out and isn't an exact match for pre-release screens and footage.

I think it's because we're analyzing a screen closely on our PC monitors. There are always small details (bit of aliasing, twinkling reflection) that make you guessing the ingame nature of what you're playing but people here are likely to play the game on their TV so the aliasing will be less or not noticeable with an appropriate distance of view.

Play on PC and combine 1440p/4K with ultra anti-aliasing, I'm confident the final experience will be close (but the shadows ?). Reaching more than 30 fps is another story unfortunately....

Last edited:
Oooh, interesting. She's looking better in that scene which I think is definitely down to the new lighting. Looks way more natural and on-par with Ryo now.

I like it a lot!

Truthfully, I don't know which one I like more. I'd be satisfied with either and think they both look great.

Shows that YSNET is listening to fan criticisms on character models. Hopefully this will ease people whenever they see a new character model that doesn't look up to the highest standards possible. Is all WIP

I like both of them. It seems the new model have changes in nose, eyes, hair... To be honest, it doesn't resemble to Shenhua 100% in my opinion but I like it. It must be difficult to reproduce the old characters with new technology just because of this, almost 20 years of tech progress.

Damn, I am so ready to see this game in motion. I can't wait for the next few months when all the marketing and promotion pushes begin! Exciting times ahead of us I think, guys.

I'm still trying my best to keep a lid on things. Preoccupy myself as best I can with anything but Shenmue, and put it to the back of my mind. I recon get Christmas out of the way, and get to early 2019 before pulling the trigger and getting excited. Otherwise the wait just gets harder and longer. In terms of games, I have cut Shenmue down to 2 hours a week on stream and that's it. I have deliberately switched off, and trying to play other games like Black Ops 4 and Spiderman, as well as have to play Horizon Zero Dawn (still haven't opened it), as well as buy Red Dead Redemption 2.

I am also in the camp of, "please don't show anything at all". I know the thirst gets worse by the day for most people, but the less they show the better. We live in the age where you don't need to go to the cinema to watch a movie, you can just piece together the 4 trailers you have seen for it, and get the jist. Same with TV shows. The less we see from Shenmue 3 the better, and I don't want to see Baisha at all until I play the game.

I'm still trying my best to keep a lid on things. Preoccupy myself as best I can with anything but Shenmue, and put it to the back of my mind. I recon get Christmas out of the way, and get to early 2019 before pulling the trigger and getting excited. Otherwise the wait just gets harder and longer. In terms of games, I have cut Shenmue down to 2 hours a week on stream and that's it. I have deliberately switched off, and trying to play other games like Black Ops 4 and Spiderman, as well as have to play Horizon Zero Dawn (still haven't opened it), as well as buy Red Dead Redemption 2.

I am also in the camp of, "please don't show anything at all". I know the thirst gets worse by the day for most people, but the less they show the better. We live in the age where you don't need to go to the cinema to watch a movie, you can just piece together the 4 trailers you have seen for it, and get the jist. Same with TV shows. The less we see from Shenmue 3 the better, and I don't want to see Baisha at all until I play the game.
If they showed a minute or so of gameplay (fighting gameplay, especially), that would satisfy a lot of people.

If they showed a minute or so of gameplay (fighting gameplay, especially), that would satisfy a lot of people.

Yeah, I need to see a small chunk of gameplay - not that I don't have faith, but it'd either settle or justify the few concerns I have left.

I don't mind much of Shenhua, she looked very different in SII than in the original and that was also different than the CGI.
She looks a little bit older now, and seems like they're trying to get her design to match more the feel of a farmer girl (which is probably the original intention).

Back