Streets of Rage 4 announced

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Is this even the brand called Sega of the recent decade anymore that we're seeing in 2018!?
Can't believe this! Took them long enough to get back to this series, even seems to be reflected in Axel's beard...

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. I just hope they bring back Yuzo Koshiro to do the music.

First Double Dragon Neon, now this?!

Now if we could just get a crossover between the two...

Is this being published by Sega? They didn't publish the Wonder Boy game by these same devs.

Yuzo Koshiro better be on board in this game or ain't Streets of Rage for me.

Oh my god! Oh my god! Fuck yeah! Out of nowhere! I am literally playing Streets of Rage 3 as we speak when I saw this topic! So weird.

Since SEGA are going crazy reviving IPs can they get these guys (who also did WonderBoy) to make Ristar next? They’d be perfect dev to do that.

Oh and make a new Panzer Dragoon whilst you’re at it. Cheers SEGA!

Oh my god! Oh my god! Fuck yeah! Out of nowhere! I am literally playing Streets of Rage 3 as we speak when I saw this topic! So weird.

Since SEGA are going crazy reviving IPs can they get these guys (who also did WonderBoy) to make Ristar next? They’d be perfect dev to do that.

Oh and make a new Panzer Dragoon whilst you’re at it. Cheers SEGA!

Sega is kicking butt lately!

If Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force, or Arcadia make any sort of comeback (even just PC ports of Saga, III, or Skies, respectively) I'd be over the moon!

I'm extremely hyped for this. Streets of Rage 4 is a dream I almost thought would never happen.

The visuals in the Wonder Boy 3 remake were absolutely beautiful. I'm thrilled that Lizardcube is on board to deliver the same kind of visuals here. We may not be getting HD pixel art like Sonic Mania but I have no doubt that Street of Rage 4 is going to look jaw-dropping amazing in its own right.

If Panzer Dragoon, Shining Force, or Arcadia make any sort of comeback (even just PC ports of Saga, III, or Skies, respectively) I'd be over the moon!
Since we're talking long-shots I'd love to see a home port of Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder .

The Revenge of Death Adder is such an overlooked gem of a beat 'em up and definitely the best game in the Golden Axe series. Would love to get to play it again.

I never actually have played Skies of Arcadia (I know, I know) so would jump at the chance of playing it.

Since we're talking long-shots I'd love to see a home port of Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder .

That would be awesome! Maybe it's arcade nostalgia, but it's my favorite, and, IIRC, the best of the GA games. I still regularly find spots for centaurs when I write stories, all because of Dora.

I'm also stoked! Cryptic comment and tweet from Yuzo Koshiro about the game:

Honestly sounds like he is involved but can't talk about it yet. God I hope he is!

Yeah Koshiro is definitely in, no matter how you spin it... Also kinda glad to see Axel all grizzled up as it makes it seem like the characters have aged along with the rest of us mere mortals in the real world. Streets of Rage was my first console game ever to boot.

Is this even the brand called Sega of the recent decade anymore that we're seeing in 2018!?
Can't believe this! Took them long enough to get back to this series, even seems to be reflected in Axel's beard...

I loved this game. played it with my little brother when he was like 6-7 and I was like 9-10. He was really good at it =. and good at two player games before that age. :D

I am glad to see that this series has come back. I should buy one of those Sega genesis collection games and play them again.

it is missing a few characters two or one my memory is faulty on this game. why only two of them. :(

I thought they lost the source code to most of their ip's in some sort of restructuring,

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this was commissioned to be resurrected solely based on the reception and success of the remasters of the beloved series we just got.

I would bet top dollar Shenmue's success has them looking further back than just this..

And tangentially, I think this bodes very well for Shenmue IV happening.

^^I have kind of a hard time believing they reached out to a third-party dev, worked out a contract, had them conceive the game, visually design everything, compose music, and animated that entire trailer in the few days since Shenmue I & II came out.
This has been in development for at least a bit longer than the time the ports have been available to make money. So no, Shenmue probably has little-to-nothing to do with it.

Whatever the case, it is nice to see Sega resurrecting such an old and seemingly-forgotten IP like this. Loved SoR back in the day. I have great memories of playing the original with my brothers when we lived in a crappy little apartment in Maryland for a summer. We didn't know anyone else in the neighborhood, but we had our Genesis, and SoR was the first new game we got after arriving there (the others being... I think DecapAttack and Chiki Chiki Boys? Man, great freakin times).

If I can be a bit of a buzzkill for a moment, though, I do have to wonder... what's really the point of this?
I mean, sure, it's early to pass any judgment, but it looks like the "sprites" are just re-skins of the old ones, with the characters pulling off the same old moves as before. Likewise, the enemies are all just re-skinned, and the developer is a western company, rather than, say, Koshiro's own company Ancient.
It's great to see the series return, but it's not like beat-em-ups offer much variety, and the stuff we've now seen is just a recycle. And aside from maybe some music from Koshiro himself, there's no indication that anyone from the original development teams is involved.
So... what is the point? Couldn't we just go back and play the originals?

Back