Streets of Rage 4 announced

Is there a Steam version? I've heard the Windows Store version is broken at the moment.

I almost want to play this with a SEGA Mega Drive Pad. I have both the 8 BitDo 6 button pad and the wireless Sega Saturn pad that Retrobit put out last year, but alas, neither work with the PS4. I would totally buy this game again on PC just to play with the classic Sega Kidney Beam 6 button pad.
It certainly was yesterday when I went to bed. See if it's working this morning

I look forward to downloading this tonight; I've tried to avoid as much spoilery stuff as possible, so may it be a fun ride.

As for hype, esp. among the hoi polloi, it helps that even snarky-for-snark's-sake Jim Sterling praises it. He's right, though: I do want muh Golden Axe IV, though ;)

Got the game! Haven’t played much yet but it feels great to play to play a true Streets of Rage game after so long!
Gameplay-wise, it seems to be based more on SoR2 than SoR3, which I find to be an odd choice, considering SoR3 is pretty much a refined version of SoR2 with even more options and mechanics. It’s not a huge deal, but I do miss being able to use Specials without worrying about my health. At least there’s a way to get your health back when using Specials in this game, so it’s not too bad.

Also, am I the only one that can’t figure out how to sprint will all characters? Maybe I’ve played too much Streets of Rage Remake and I am too spoiled, but I clearly remember all characters being able to sprint. Even rolling doesn’t seem to be present, but maybe I just haven’t fully explored the game. These are just minor nitpicks, I am sure I'll get used to it.

To me the gameplay is so much more refined than SoR2 or 3, which you'd expect after 25 years. Better hit detection, smoother movement, easier to jump between multiple enemies on your left and right, easier to pick things up, being able to "juggle", the list goes on. I started with Axel on normal and got my ass kicked first time round so I switched to Blaze and, wow, she kicks ass. I'll go back to Axel once I've beat it.

Last edited:

I have no idea how to get those S Ranks. Best I've gotten so far is a B Rank. But I do feel I have a way better feel for the combat as a whole. Real risk/reward system to it that is fun as hell once you get it. I do kind of wish though there was a dedicated block button but it may have made the game too easy. Still, I really do love this game. I'm having a blast with it.

I am loving it, playing it "legal" and Level 2 boss is hard with is his Rugal move but you keep playing because it is challenging. So far I am playing with Blaze and a Retry with Axel.

Purchased. I completed it. Mostly played it online, where even on my shoddy mobile internet it's been pretty stable. So impressed with this game, it's fantastic. Ticks all the boxes. I love the fighting system. Nice amount of depth. Sounds crazy, but it's true. To survive past Stage 4 on MANIA difficulty, you've gotta be seriously on-point with your juggles, space-management, etc.

As for the soundtrack, I actually think it's pretty good despite all the people saying they're disappointed with it. No, the soundtrack is not as good as SOR2. I think that's a very high bar to live up to. Almost no games have soundtracks as good as SOR2. SOR3 certainly didn't. I quite like this track;

Goes with the brawlin' action really well.

But yes, if there was a weak-point anywhere I guess it'd have to be the soundtrack? In the same way that a pimple on a 10/10 beautiful woman would be a "flaw" or something.

Digital Foundry says it's just as good on Switch as PS4, so probably Switch just by virtue of being able to game on the go with it. If people actually do that (never seen a Switch being played in the wild).

I got it for PS4.

This is bad I like trophies but switch might be best for me to play with people. My brother and I can play on ps4 but if anyone else wanted to join we are a controller short as my limited edition controller is acting up. Switch is different as I have two joy cons and pro controller.

Being released by Merge Games now?

I was grumpy that Limited Run Games had the exclusivity to this as importing from them is a pain, but this time it's only £3.49. It's more than I wanted to pay for the game but I have always wanted a Physical Edition.

Amazon.co.uk - Streets of Rage 4 PS4
Amazon.co.uk - Streets of Rage 4 Switch
Seems you can even avoid their postage on Amazon for a Standard Edition! ^_^

@GAME.co.uk too:
XBOX1 - https://www.game.co.uk/en/streets-of-rage-4-2749327
Switch - https://www.game.co.uk/en/streets-of-rage-4-2749324

Even better now listed @ Base (£24.85 - PS4):

Last edited:
Yup, Streets of Rage 4 is getting a normal physical release in the UK and Europe. Suckers like me just spent like £45 buying the Limited Scam Games version that's probably not going to ship for months and months (and then will take another month just to arrive) when we could just have bought it from Amazon or whatever retailer we want for about £30.

How funny that it didn't get announced until after the LRG pre-order window ended, huh?

Hold the phone... Xbox is also getting the physical release!!??
Usually it's Switch/PS4 only getting the physical's with these types of games o_O

Is there a way for myself and my brother to play Streets of Rage 3 remotely? We've completed the first two games way back but didn't even play Streets of Rage 3.

Back