Stretchgoal BS

SMDzero

Banned
Did anyone notice that nearly all the S3 stretch goals that we hit didn’t actually end up in the game? Baisha, character perspective system, rapport system, advanced fighting engine, etc.

Even more shocking was that nearly all the stretch goals that we did not achieve were in fact included! Part time job in Niaowu and loads of mini games and Kung fu training in Bailu and Niaowu.

In short, everything that was promised was not provided and everything that was not promised was.

In retrospect the stretch goals were laughable and were merely fiction.

If there was another Kickstarter I wouldn’t even pay attention to the stretch goals I would consider the stretch goals a wishlist at best.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Iirc, Shenhua gradually warms up to Ryo the more you interact with her, though this is only really evident in the Bailu section of the game. I think this was the rapport system.

As for the advanced fighting system, perhaps they were initially planning something even more basic and what we got was actually an advanced version of that? Who knows.

I agree though, it did feel as though they were making up the stretch goals as they went along. I don’t think they had planned for the Kickstarter to be as successful as it was and were hoping to ride that early momentum a little longer.

Last edited:
There was no meaningful rapport system. Just the way Shenhua wakes you up in the morning and sees you off changes based on how much you talk to her at night.

Although I tried a play through where I never talked to Shenhua at night and when I was off to Bailu the next morning I got a cutscene where Shenhua throws an apple at Ryo and it beans him in the back of the head!

Also the free battle component is more than competent but I don’t think anyone would call it “advanced”.

There was no meaningful rapport system. Just the way Shenhua wakes you up in the morning and sees you off changes based on how much you talk to her at night.

Although I tried a play through where I never talked to Shenhua at night and when I was off to Bailu the next morning I got a cutscene where Shenhua throws an apple at Ryo and it beans him in the back of the head!

Also the free battle component is more than competent but I don’t think anyone would call it “advanced”.
I never saw that cutscene interesting

The last stretch goal is interesting. "Bailu Village Expanded Magic Maze". Seems to imply the authentic Bailu chapter had a much larger scope with Ryo & Shenhua travelling again into the wild before getting into Niaowu. Before the release, I always envisioned Shenmue III as a Shaw Brothers classic movie.

There were stretch goals even higher after the 11-million mark but YSNet kept them secret.

I thought they did a fairly poor job of explaining what the stretch goals actually meant, particularly in terms of the gameplay and the game.

Regarding them being scrapped, I never understood how any project accurately works out how much money they need to implement a stretch goal either. It seems to be a fairly careful balancing act between providing incentives to get people to back the project and increase their bids to try to get past 'checkpoints' and actually having a carefully worked out plan of how money will be used.

Development is difficult and unpredictable, so I don't really begrudge YsNet for not delivering on all the stretch goals. Things changed as soon as Deep Silver came on board too. That said, what I didn't particularly like was how they waited until the final hour when the release was imminent to announce "oh yeah, sorry, we weren't able to implement all of these things, but we did implement some of these stretch goals we hadn't reached, so we're square, right?"

I thought they did a fairly poor job of explaining what the stretch goals actually meant, particularly in terms of the gameplay and the game.

Regarding them being scrapped, I never understood how any project accurately works out how much money they need to implement a stretch goal either. It seems to be a fairly careful balancing act between providing incentives to get people to back the project and increase their bids to try to get past 'checkpoints' and actually having a carefully worked out plan of how money will be used.

Development is difficult and unpredictable, so I don't really begrudge YsNet for not delivering on all the stretch goals. Things changed as soon as Deep Silver came on board too. That said, what I didn't particularly like was how they waited until the final hour when the release was imminent to announce "oh yeah, sorry, we weren't able to implement all of these things, but we did implement some of these stretch goals we hadn't reached, so we're square, right?"
The only things we got extra really was the Kung fu halls in Bailu and Niaowu and the forklift. I would have traded both for a fully realized Baisha.

Really? You're not kidding, are you? :) Does anyone have a video of this scene?

Back