"Striking while the iron is hot" | If we want Shenmue IV, we have to act now, not 4 years down the road

@spud1897 Can you guys (Admins) communicate with the Shenmue community leaders to organize support campaign? I don't think they'll bother with a random guy like me.
One step ahead. While I can't give too much away at this stage things are definitely in the pipeline. What I would say is keep the Shenmue 4 requests going (I've seen a few on social media) and watch this space.

I'm pretty certain that the series will not end with III, even with a weaker sales. I think YsNet was primarily formed in the beginning with the hope he'd be able to continue the series.

Now that the game has been funded and released, it has proven that a market exists. It doesn't have to be a massive budget, akin to Darksiders.

In my own mind, I see him making Shenmue IV and keeping it alive for a fifth and final entry. For the fifth entry, he'll announce it to funding from SEGA, DS, or whomever that is more than III or IV had; simultaneously, he will also announce it will be his final game before retirement. Go out with a high end AA-AAA series ending bang.

That would be the fairy tale ending we all hope for. I hope it comes to pass that way.

I'm pretty certain that the series will not end with III, even with a weaker sales. I think YsNet was primarily formed in the beginning with the hope he'd be able to continue the series.

Now that the game has been funded and released, it has proven that a market exists. It doesn't have to be a massive budget, akin to Darksiders.

In my own mind, I see him making Shenmue IV and keeping it alive for a fifth and final entry. For the fifth entry, he'll announce it to funding from SEGA, DS, or whomever that is more than III or IV had; simultaneously, he will also announce it will be his final game before retirement. Go out with a high end AA-AAA series ending bang.

That would be the fairy tale ending we all hope for. I hope it comes to pass that way.

But Space harrier 3, Outrun 3, & virtua fighter 6?...o_O

At least one entry into these wouldn't hurt since they're not huge resource commitments...:unsure:

But Space harrier 3, Outrun 3, & virtua fighter 6?...o_O

At least one entry into these wouldn't hurt since they're not huge resource commitments...:unsure:

Virtua Fighter 6 would be pretty huge. Fighting games are very expensive nowadays... Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is still very popular in Japan (tournaments and cabinets), nevertheless SEGA never agreed to make a 6th entry, because of the costs

Virtua Fighter 6 would be pretty huge. Fighting games are very expensive nowadays... Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is still very popular in Japan (tournaments and cabinets), nevertheless SEGA never agreed to make a 6th entry, because of the costs

I find that hard to believe. Cost wouldn't be an issue for Sega. Especially if they made an Arcade version which would do insane numbers inside their own country which would help recoup costs quickly.

Also just old-fashioned word of mouth. I recommend the Shenmue series to lots of people who play video games. One thing about sales: Remember that sales continue for a while, and that with new DLC comes re-releases (at least digitally). Another thing: I paid 70 bucks for the PS4 digital edition. Physical sales are okay and all, but many people buy digitally these days. There is no physical overhead on digital releases, no shipping, packaging, printing, manufacturing costs. Just the cost of programming and marketing, which yields a higher profit margin. I have yet to see a full backers+digital+physical including all markets sales figure, but if Japan has sold in excess of 20,000 physical copies, who knows how many digital copies that is? If and when this gets to Steam it will generate more sales. If it gets released to Switch/Xbox eventually, that´s even more. I´m imagining that the game has already sold in excess of 100,000 copies if you include backers, digital and physical copies. That´s not a bad figure for any game! Not every game is a million-seller. The original Shenmue sold a worldwide total of 1.2 million units. That´s it, ever. (Granted, the Dreamcast audience was limited.) We´ll see how it pans out, but I expect Shenmue 3 to probably sell maybe half that number of copies during its lifetime. It was always a niche game. We´re that niche. I expect Yu Suzuki to finish it for the fans, probably either via Kickstarter or a collaboration with Sega. Another way to inject some quick cash into the brand (and gain fans) would be to release a 1-on-1, story-driven fighting game (VF style as far as the gameplay is concerned). Suzuki has the rights, after all, and he has already created the graphic assets. I´d certainly buy a copy. Such a game could familiarize a new audience with the story ans spur sales of the main games. Just a thought.

I find that hard to believe. Cost wouldn't be an issue for Sega. Especially if they made an Arcade version which would do insane numbers inside their own country which would help recoup costs quickly.
With how much demand VF is getting from Sega fans and fighting boom, VF6 will be worth the investment if done proper. Yu back at the helm for another entry will be the injection it need to get back on its footing again imo.

I think he was just replying specifically to the "they're not huge resource commitments" part there rather than saying Sega couldn't afford or justify it. It would likely be pretty costly, but I agree that I think it would probably do extremely well. My main concern is how much of the VF talent is even still there at this point. I mean they haven't touched VF since 2012, it completely skipped over the 8th gen in its entirety. Yu working on Space Harrier 3 and/or VF6... my god I think I would just stroke out on the spot.

Who directed VF5? Do they still work at Sega? It seems like a lot of people are pretty fond of it and it had nothing to do with Yu Suzuki as far as I can remember.

Who directed VF5? Do they still work at Sega? It seems like a lot of people are pretty fond of it and it had nothing to do with Yu Suzuki as far as I can remember.
I didn't mean to suggest that they can't make a new VF without Yu or anything, I absolutely adored VF5. But IF they could get Yu involved, that would be my preference. Yoshihiro Tsuzuku is the director for VF5, I'd be interested in finding out what he's up to these days as well.

It's just a case of wondering if Sega would see any need to bring Yu back to direct it. It'd definitely be amazing, but VF5 seems to be the 'definitive' VF for a lot of folks.

guys, what I meant is... why spending lots of resources (which SEGA has, of course) for a game like VF6, that would be expensive, trust me, when: 1) Arcades are dying in Japan as well; 2) With half that money they can make another game starring Sonic (just mentioning Sonic because it's SEGA's most popular IP) or a Persona game that would sell much more?

guys, what I meant is... why spending lots of resources (which SEGA has, of course) for a game like VF6, that would be expensive, trust me, when: 1) Arcades are dying in Japan as well; 2) With half that money they can make another game starring Sonic (just mentioning Sonic because it's SEGA's most popular IP) or a Persona game that would sell much more?
Virtua Fighter can still make a come back. Just need a good push in a new direction without cutting off it's core game. This is why YU who is famous for always innovating the formula where ever he can, is a pipe dream to reboot the franchise.

The real question is this, which should be our next campaign?

#SaveShenmueIV?
#WeWantMoreGiveUsShenmueIV?
#SegaPublishShenmueIV?

As we dont know the position a simple #ShenmueVI might be good.

The best moment to make Shenmue IV is litterally right now. If it releases in 2 years, PS4 will still be in the market and PS5 will be early. It'll still be a cross generation era. So those assets would still hold up.

Agree, if they start as soon as possible to aim at a release in 2 years, they could release Shenmue 4 as a cross gen title on ps4 and ps5, or as an early PS5 title, plus they would have time to release Shenmue 5 during the generation on PS5.

Back