stupid question..fan mail?

red

a bit of a geeky question but has anyone here ever sent fan mail to someone? for example.. a game creator or movie director etc.

i mean would someone like Yu Suzuki respond ( answer a question etc) & possibly sign something or would it be a waste of time?

thanks

Very interesting that you made this thread. Just a couple hours ago I was looking up
Cliff Bleszinski to see what he is now up to and a memory came to mind. Before or just after the original Gears of War was released, I was near obsessed with the game and thought that whoever decided to put a chainsaw on a gun was the most creative person ever. I sent Cliff an email saying how much of a fan I was and asked for some tips about how I could get into that gaming industry. He actually responded and gave me a few pointers.

Very interesting that you made this thread. Just a couple hours ago I was looking up
Cliff Bleszinski to see what he is now up to and a memory came to mind. Before or just after the original Gears of War was released, I was near obsessed with the game and thought that whoever decided to put a chainsaw on a gun was the most creative person ever. I sent Cliff an email saying how much of a fan I was and asked for some tips about how I could get into that gaming industry. He actually responded and gave me a few pointers.
Well that was actually very kind. I mean, it was early 2000's so it was uncommon to send emails I suppose, but still thats pretty cool.

Not exactly fan mail but Swery has been pretty open and laid back on his social media accounts. He’s been pretty friendly. There was one time he was being criticized for liking a Spider-Man game, one I really had no opinion on myself, but I drew him this and he briefly used it as a profile pic.

D7EA0AEE-83D8-47DE-8A04-623D0EB6E26A.jpeg

i only ask because i sometimes think it might be interesting to ask a creator a question and see if they respond.. but from what ive heard in the past.. most fan mail either goes in the bin or gets answered by some random employee... even big time twitter accounts of actors / creators are apparently managed by employees. so twitter is a waste of time.

maybe i'll get up the courage one day and try.. it could be interesting to see what happens.

i only ask because i sometimes think it might be interesting to ask a creator a question and see if they respond.. but from what ive heard in the past.. most fan mail either goes in the bin or gets answered by some random employee... even big time twitter accounts of actors / creators are apparently managed by employees. so twitter is a waste of time.

maybe i'll get up the courage one day and try.. it could be interesting to see what happens.
Who do you wanna write?

Honestly? No, never in my life have I sent fan mail to anyone. I don't know, I was always the kid who just thought in regards to celebrities in general: "they're people and they probably get tons of fan mail every day....most of it probably doesn't get read or probably gets thrown away depending on the person and their ego...why bother? Why bother writing something friendly that they probably hear every day in thousands of other letters?"

That and I just didn't have much celebrity worship in me anyways. I respect a number of people like Yu Suzuki for example and if the day ever came that I should meet him then I'd be tickled pink like anyone else....but no, never did the fan mail thing.

For instance, I've met a few people who have a name for themselves. I met Director Shusuke Kaneko (Death Note, Gamera, GMK) through a friend of mine in a pretty casual setting at a bar. My mutual friend was actually surprised by my almost non plussed reaction. Even asking me "you knew who that was right?" as Kaneko left and I simply replied "yeah, I know...I was geeking out on the inside but didn't think he'd appreciate me geeking out loud so I played it cool." I don't know...I'm weird like that with my fandoms. It takes a lot to get me to show "outward passion" even though I do have it for certain things. I just feel silly geeking out in front of people. That whole "you should act your age" thing.

I was a very logical kid who was dominated by his "that's stupid" voice all too often. But no, I've never sent fan mail to anyone I've ever been a fan of,

Last edited:
Back