SUKA PASS: a fan-made Shenmue Passport app

Thanks for all the work you're doing on this! My biggest disappoint with the re-releases was the lack of the Passport. I simply adored the Passport back in the Dreamcast days, so it's great to have it again! Personally, I like having it open on my second monitor using Bluestacks while I play Shenmue on my main screen so I can check off profiles and activate movies as I get them!

Hi everyone!

Just a quick announcement to let you know we are working on a small update for Suka Pass that will be out soon.

Expect to see...

* A bunch of new moves unlocked in the All Moves screen
* Fitter moves by Kicks, Punches or Throws
* Some new songs in the Music page
* Data downloading on app start-up now also in the Android version (iOS users have got this already!)
* As well as small behind-the-scenes fixes to improve app stability.

The app is undergoing testing (thank you to our testers!) and we're planning to release it in around a week's time.

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you all know that Version 1.3.2 is now live for both Android and iOS! šŸ„³

This latest version features new moves unlocked, move type filtering and new cutscene music tracks.

You can of course find out all of the details and download the app over at: https://www.sukapass.com/2021/01/suka-pass-v132-released.html

Android users can simply search for "Suka Pass" on the Google Play store, whereas iOS users are advised to head over to the Suka Pass Download section and click the Apple Testflight button (whilst using their prefered Apple device).

Incidentally, a new feature to Apple's Testflight is the ability to auto update the apps! So when you head over, make sure to check that auto updates are turned on so that future updates are automatically installed to your device! :)

Gideros Screenshot 2020.12.30 - 16.54.46.36.png

New Move Scroll unlocks and filter by style of move!

Gideros-apr2020-https-works-on-pc-giderosplayer Screenshot 2020.12.30 - 17.02.09.18.png

Brand new music tracks enter the music player under the "Cutscene Music" list. More to come soon!

Well thanks very much for following the project thus far guys, we're hoping to get back into the swing of things and continue to restore some of the Passport's other awesome features! Stay tuned :)

Hi all, Suka Pass has got a new version lined up!

A key new feature this time is the addition of a new section from the original Shenmue Passport: the Online Manual, which will be available from the main menu screen.

main-menu.jpg

The Online Manual is a recreation of the various screens that were once available for viewing on the Shenmue Passport (until the data servers were shut down), and the interface has been enhanced to optimize the experience for touch-screen devices. It contains information on every aspect of the game, from interacting with objects to how to play the various mini-games.

The Music section also has some new tracks added including the favorite of many: Nightfall.

Planned release date: for the upcoming Shenmue Day.

If you'd like to try out a beta version of the new release right away, drop myself or @James Brown a message and we'll get you added to the testing group.

The new version is up!

https://www.sukapass.com/p/download-page.html

The new Online Manual section uses original text and assets from the original Shenmue Passport files. Screenshots were recreated to match the originals but captured in higher resolution. Some extra sound effects and voiced lines have also been added in when tapping certain images to expand them.

We hope you'll enjoy browsing through this newly-restored section of the Passport.

screen5.png
screen4.png

Last edited:
The Suka Pass team has been working away at a new update!

For the new release we've translated the entire set of Nozomi's "Information" and "Clue" items from the original Shenmue Passport. This was where Nozomi would tell the player helpful hints about locations or items in the game, based on how far through the game they were. Unfortunately when the servers were shut off, this data also became inaccessible.

Plus there are some other fun features we've added in.

Watch out for the announcement soon!

The new version is out now! We've got heaps of new features, including:
  • Nozomi's Messages section: visit the Information page for details about a lot of the places and items that Ryo finds in Yokosuka, or the Clue page where Nozomi gives you a tailored hint to help you along your way. All the Clue and Information text has been restored from the original Shenmue Passport.
  • Urgent Messages! section: in the original Shenmue Passport this held information about events or other Shenmue related updates. This is now where the release notes for new Suka Pass versions can be found.
  • Eri's Camera (snapshot feature): easily take a screenshot of any part of the app and share to Twitter or your favorite social media service. We're hoping people will take advantage of this to share the love of Shenmue!
  • New music: as usual additional music has been added into the music section (which is now accessed using the red stereo icon on the front page!). One of our favorite pieces, Borrowing Naoyuki's Bike, is in there too.

Check out @James Brown's great video overview of the new features here:
https://www.sukapass.com/2021/06/nozomis-messages-release.html

Download page (iOS & Android):
https://www.sukapass.com/p/download-page.html

clue.jpg

information.jpg

music.jpg

I really love how content that has been inaccessible in its original form for two decades is now being restored and preserved. Great work as always!
Itā€™s crazy right! I love that too! Even things we are all familar with and know off by heart, like how to play the game for example, seeing how the original Online Manual functioned and what the official text they used was is so cool! Reading all the extra information from Nozomi this time around has been a pleasure, and itā€™s how I made that little connection with the cherry tree for a particular guest blog post šŸ˜…! Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

@Switch When i try to watch the videos in the Theater this error appear "Unable to play video. The operation couldn't be completed. XCDYouTubeVideoErrorDomain Error -2.)

I tried to delete the app and installing again but nothing changed, iā€™m using the iOS version, there is a solution to this error?

Iā€™m looking forward to thte next update Music Pack, looks beautiful.

It is beautiful to see Shenmue Passport being restored and preserved, Suka Pass is amazing, thanks for everything.

Last edited:
Hi Hiki, thanks for your kind words about the app, the project team loves hearing when people enjoy it!
@Switch When i try to watch the videos in the Theater this error appear "Unable to play video. The operation couldn't be completed. XCDYouTubeVideoErrorDomain Error -2.)

I tried to delete the app and installing again but nothing changed, iā€™m using the iOS version, there is a solution to this error?
Recently YouTube made a change to the way they serve video information which unfortunately affected the video playing on the iOS version of the app. We will be including a fix for video playing in the upcoming release, so please hold on a little while for it!

Hi Hiki, thanks for your kind words about the app, the project team loves hearing when people enjoy it!

Recently YouTube made a change to the way they serve video information which unfortunately affected the video playing on the iOS version of the app. We will be including a fix for video playing in the upcoming release, so please hold on a little while for it!
Thanks Switch.

The team have plans to expand the Suka Pass? in other words put content from Shenmue II and III aswell? i think this is a beautiful idea.

The team have plans to expand the Suka Pass? in other words put content from Shenmue II and III aswell? i think this is a beautiful idea.
We're concentrating on finishing the content from the original Passport first, but moving on to cover Shenmue II next is something we've got in mind, perhaps as a separate app.

I imagine it would also be a gigantic pile of work!

I agree, i imagine it would also be a gigantic pile of work, it is really beautiful what the Suka Pass team is doing.

We're concentrating on finishing the content from the original Passport first, but moving on to cover Shenmue II next is something we've got in mind, perhaps as a separate app.

When it's possible for me i'll donate to help the team. Really nice to see that the team have plans for more content. iā€™m grateful for everything, thank you.

Back