Super Sentai

So a few months ago I was on amazon Prime and my Dad and I wanted to watch some old MST3K, so I bought a Channel Subscription to ShoutFactory since they have a ton of MST3K and after watching some, I started to browse and see what else they had to offer and I saw that they had Super Sentai Zyuranger!

For those unaware the Super Sentai is a series that has been going on in Japan since the 70's and in the 90's they took the action scenes from Zyuranger and localized it to the west as the Power Ranger re-filming all the regular scenes with new actors and keeping the fight scenes where they turn into the Power Rangers. When I was a kid I loved the Power Rangers, and remember hearing a while ago how they made it but I never watched the Original Japanese version.

So I sat down to watched an episode and I really enjoyed it, it's a 100% different from Power Rangers in every way asides from the formula bad guys show they fight, they transform, bad guy gets big, they get in the Mech and kill the bad guy, but over the series they do enough stuff to keep it fresh.

then I ended up finishing all of Zyuranger, and moved on to another Sentai, KakuRanger finished it and started JetMan! Now I'm on Diarangers

Just wondering if there are other Sentai fans here or not?

Also figured this could be a good place to dump some reviews spoilers so be warned I will try to just include just the essences of each season and not give anything major away.

This was my first Sentai, and I enjoyed it but after watching a few other Sentai I can see why a lot of people rate it really low. This set of rangers are more generic and they don't really get to do a whole lot, nor do things that set them apart from other Sentai teams...

Blue is almost non-existent in this series with his only highlight consisting of eating some shaved ice coated in a drug with the Pink Ranger resulting them becoming Gangsters for an episode shooting down drug dealers and going on a full blown Samurai killing spree on a local Yakuza gang/gambling hall.

Their mentor isn't a floating head in a jar but instead an old wizard named Barza who is over 170 million years old who sealed away the five warriors to fight against an evil witch named Bandora only to awaken them if she ever comes back again.

Most of the series consists of a lot of WTF moments scattered about, like that one time Barza was totally cool with killing his friends Grandson after he tried to awaken the 6th ranger. Barza and his friend who is also a 170 million year old man had a stock pile of guns and grenades prepared just encase his dumb grandson tried to revive the 6th ranger.

Also there was time when the Rangers had to go to Hell just to get there weapons

Or the time Bandora Ripped out her own eyes to summon Great Satan to destroy the Zyurangers. You never know what this show is going to throw at you

Bandora also sometimes breaks out into song she is quite the Japanese Pop singer.

Overall I give Zyuranger a 6 out of 10

This was my second Sentai, My biggest complaint for this one would have to be the main villain that they were fighting against, he just sucked.

But all the the secondary/monster of the week villains were Youkais based on Japanese Yokai's which I have been researching a lot for a fantasy novel that I have been working on for a while. So it was cool when the Villain of the week would show up because for the most part I would have a general idea of how they would fight and what their weakness would be. Also each of these Rangers had more story then any of the ZyuRangers, with my two favorites being Ninja Black Jiraiya who left Japan as a child to train in America, and would randomly speak English.

The other being Ninja White Tsuruhime who is technically the leader. She wouldn't be the one leading the battles on the front line but was more of an advisor/strategists fighting from a distance.

Other highlights would be the time they teamed up with a kid named Little Santa, and had to break into an underground syndicate of mall Santa's that were being manipulated by the YouKai'. Or the time they had to fight a villain who was using Magic Mushrooms "Yes they get you high if you eat them" which happened to Ninja Black "I'm so High" Or the time the yellow ranger offered to do Laundry, only to steal their clothes and sell them at a fundraiser just to impress a girl he met minutes ago.

Or the time a Japanese reporter was falling to his death and continued to report anyway "Will the KakuRangers save me? will I hit the ground and go Splat? tune in next week to find out!!! AAAAAAHHHH!!" not a direct quote I'm to lazy to go back and find out what episode it was in; but he was easily my favorite character because at the end of most episodes he would show up and announce what would happen in the next episode eccentric wouldn't even begin describe this guy, lets just say he was out there.

Also Kakuranger is very Mech heavy with each Ranger having like three each, there were times when the mech battles had like 10 or more all fighting at once

overall I give Kakuranger a 7 out of 10

Alright I'm just going to say it now but I don't think I will find another Sentai better then Jetman, maybe I will be wrong there are 42 seasons to out there with 39ish more left to go.

But every single thing about Jetman was great!

Red Hawk is the leader of this team, Red Hawk and his girlfriend were part of a group of people being trained to become project Jetman. He is the first to receive his powers but right after that they are attacked resulting in the "Death" of his girl friend, kinda of...

Luckily as the machine blows up it sends out the rest of the "Birdonic waves" admitted cheesy name, to four random people; a farmer, a rich naive snob, a high school student, and a tough guy jazz player who doesn't want to be a Jetman. Red Hawk and their commander then have to deal with training a group of nobodies to be somebodies.

Love is also central theme of this series with a love triangle, actually more of a love Dodecahedron with more twists and turns then you would expect from a group of people fighting in spandex...

There is also no clear main villain in this series but rater a group of four who all make a pact that who ever defeats Jetman first will decide who sits on the throne of the Vyram, using bio dimensional bugs they each have their own idea of how to take them down.

Red, Black, and Pink are all great along with blue and Yellow

This is the Sentai where for what ever reason Yellows main method of attack is leaving the fight only to run back in carrying a boulder just to jump high into the air to drop it on who ever he's fighting. Even his Jet has a crane on it just to pick up rocks to drop on people, they never explain it or talk about, it's just how he fights, "Hang on guys I need to go find a really big rock"

They also have some of the best monsters of the week, minus the time that they had to fight a Monster sized cup of Ramen! Easily the worst out all the series I have seen; but it also had the best monster of the week out of the three series that I have watched.

Like the time they had to fight a chameleon who had a hammer for an Arm. He would just turn invisible, and then out of nowhere a hammer would appear just to smack them in the shins before disappearing again, I guess the title of the Episode "Sudden Hammer" was completely literal

I won't spoil the ending in this sentai, but this series is isn't afraid of killing off characters minor or major, it will keep you on edge because you never what can happen.

Overall I give Jetman a 10 out 10

Expect to see more reviews from time to time as I finish more, also feel free to drop your own reviews if you are also a fan of Sentai.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Power Rangers, but I stopped watching it after Lost Galaxy. I watched a full season of Denji Sentai Megaranger, because Masaya Matsukaze (voice of Ryo Hazuki) played a role of Mega Blue there.
I will try to watch Zyuranger today! Thank you for your reviews! :giggle:

Last edited:
I was aware that Power Rangers was originally a Japanese show. Even when I was younger, I used to find it a little funny that the pink ranger was a girl, black ranger was black and the yellow ranger was Asian.

I loved Power Rangers. Even now, I still enjoy watching it every now and again and I collect a few of the toys.

Super Sentai is great, but the only season I have watched all the way through is Jetman. I have watched some episodes of other seasons too. The problem is it's not available in the UK, so I have had to watch them through less than legal means.

I like the old Metal Hero series from the early 80s (they are very similar to Super Sentai). My avatar is actually from a Metal Hero show called "Space Sheriff Gavan" that I used to watch as a kid.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Power Rangers, but I stopped watching it after Lost Galaxy. I watched a full season of Denji Sentai Megaranger, because Masaya Matsukaze (voice of Ryo Hazuki) played a role of Mega Blue there.
I will try to watch Zyuranger today! Thank you for your reviews! :giggle:

Thanks for the recommendation I am currently on Dairanger, which I don't really plan on watching Super Sentai in chronological order so this will most likely be next up for review once I finish Dairanger :)

I was aware that Power Rangers was originally a Japanese show. Even when I was younger, I used to find it a little funny that the pink ranger was a girl, black ranger was black and the yellow ranger was Asian.

yeah they are all Asian in the Japanese version, but only the Pink was female in the original Zyuranger, Yellow was a boy, named Boi

I loved Power Rangers. Even now, I still enjoy watching it every now and again and I collect a few of the toys.

Super Sentai is great, but the only season I have watched all the way through is Jetman. I have watched some episodes of other seasons too. The problem is it's not available in the UK, so I have had to watch them through less than legal means.

have you tried using a VPN that may work for the site I'm watching them on https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/tv/tokushoutsu?
because for whatever reason Amazon Primes channel for Shout Factory doesn't have everything they offer :(

I like the old Metal Hero series from the early 80s (they are very similar to Super Sentai). My avatar is actually from a Metal Hero show called "Space Sheriff Gavan" that I used to watch as a kid.

Sweet I will have to check that one out is it easy to find online? I haven't really watched a lot of other Tokusatsu other then what I reviewed but I am interested in checking out other shows like that or Kamen Rider. I did watch the first 13 episodes of Japans version of SpiderMan a long time ago.

Back in the day Marvel actually had all the episodes on their website back in like 2009-2013ish I can't really remember when exactly but I watched them; but now Marvel seems to have buried them/purged all traces of it from their website and I don't believe there is any legal ways to watch it currently :(

but I do remember a scene where a bunch of bad guys jump out in front of SpiderMan while he's driving and he just continues to drive and runs them all over.

and I think his catchphrase was something like
"I am the Emissary of Hell! SpiderMan!"

Sweet I will have to check that one out is it easy to find online? I haven't really watched a lot of other Tokusatsu other then what I reviewed but I am interested in checking out other shows like that or Kamen Rider. I did watch the first 13 episodes of Japans version of SpiderMan a long time ago.

You can watch all the episodes on Youtube on the official Toei Tokusatsu channel

You can find several other old tokusatsu shows there as well.

Last edited:
The only Sentai show I've seen outside of Zyuranger (which is basically Power Rangers with a plot) is Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. However, I gave up halfway through the show because I tire of the cliche defrosting the Ice King/Queen trope.

I do have a partial interest in Kamen Rider due to it's slightly darker storytelling.

I've been aware of sentai for years as a Power Rangers fan, but didn't get around to watching it around 10 years ago when I rented Zyuranger, which we all know served as the first season of Power Rangers. I thought it was okay. However, I really loved Jetman. Gai is such a badass.

The only Sentai show I've seen outside of Zyuranger (which is basically Power Rangers with a plot) is Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. However, I gave up halfway through the show because I tire of the cliche defrosting the Ice King/Queen trope.

I do have a partial interest in Kamen Rider due to it's slightly darker storytelling.

I like how this Ranger has a variation of a Praxinoscope on his sword. But I do feel like most of the newer Sentai seem more like a toy commercial with the same toy sword sound effect being played over and over again during the fight scene. Still going to watch it once I go through all the 90's and 80's Sentai because I don't really know much about the new Sentai I hope I'm wrong and will actually like them just as much as the older Sentai

However I will admit that all of Sentai has always been a giant toy commercial ever since they Give Spider man a flying car and a robot. I have not watched any of the really old Sentai just clips here and there but their ranger weapons use to be more like real weapons actual guns and swords etc. Using a Praxinoscope is Genius for toy sales since you can get the exact effect or at a very least a similar effect at home.

I've been aware of sentai for years as a Power Rangers fan, but didn't get around to watching it around 10 years ago when I rented Zyuranger, which we all know served as the first season of Power Rangers. I thought it was okay. However, I really loved Jetman. Gai is such a badass.

Gai is the best XD

But I also enjoy other old school stuff like Metal Heroes (watched Shaider as a kid when my family was stationed in the Philippines), and I also watched the Australian version to Ultraman. This would ultimately lead me to love tokusatsu as a whole.

These might be of interest to you.

Angry Video Game Nerd Power Rangers Games

Cinemassacre Power Rangers Series Part 1

Cinemassacre Power Rangers Series Part 2

Back