SuperEyePatchWolf: "Shenmue III is a terrible game and I've wasted my life"

Don't agree with his suggestion how to fix the ending. Explain a bit about Lan Di's history first, like some tragic family history, and use a move to slow him down, that has a more emotional context, like "Demon's Triangle" Xiuying teaches Ryo.

It does move the story more than they give credit, with a civil war beginning in the Chi You but it's too much near the end.

The gambling grind isn't great, but I think it took me 15 minutes of Lucky Hit on 30 odds to earn the money to buy the Reversal move, so it sounds like they're exaggerating it.

Comments are totally roasting this game. The general consensus is that the game sucks. It's unfortunate because I'm starting to doubt Shenmue IV will ever happen

Big comment sections of controversial videos or channels dont mean much
because it is impossible to know who will leave a comment and whos just trolling or not.
Even if there is a top comment like "i'm the biggest fan ever and this game sucks"
with 1000 thumbs up, its still possible that not even one person of these 1001 people bought the game
and they just post stuff because its fun to hate.

Its the same thing if you look for Last of Us 2 videos. Pretty much all of the big videos will make it sound like
nobody on this planet liked the game at all but the truth is completely different, dozens of people loved the game.
The thing is most of the time hating is more popular.

I'm not saying that negative videos are worthless but if you only look at the comment sections
of negative / controversial videos, you will end up in a very one-sided bubble
where trolls and actual disappointed people are all mixed together and no one else will comment there.

Comments are totally roasting this game. The general consensus is that the game sucks. It's unfortunate because I'm starting to doubt Shenmue IV will ever happen

The general consensus has been like that since youtube loudmouths like Jim Sterling, Angry Joe and the rest of the hate = clicks brigade got onto it. As soon as the game went Epic exclusive a match was lit under it which never went out. I can guarantee you that if the game would have just come out as planned then most people would have enjoyed it for what it is. An earnest low budget effort that tries to please everyone but didn't quite make it.

BUT

these guys seem to be generating all the news, but in the real world, they mean very little. Look at the Last of Us 2. A million and one shitty youtube videos when the leaks came out about how much 'the story SUCKS' 'woke SJW agenda!' and 'preorders are being cancelled in droves' when in fact it went on to break all sales records. The most popular youtuber probably influences less than 1% of the game buying public. You would have to have a very soft head to let some bloke on the internet tell you what to play, rather than make your own mind up.

You see these videos like 'Shenmue 3 is a disaster' 'The waterworld of videogames' and 'I wasted my life' around this game when it has a 68 Metacritic. Disaster implies something in the low 30's. Now Days Gone has a 71 which has it's fans. So whoop whoop - a whole 3 point difference. But it's easy to publish videos like '18 years for this?!1?!' and rag on the underdog endlessly knowing that people in your comments will flock to write huh duh Shenmue Sux Yakuza Is Da Best! (Nevermind these same people ignored Yakuza for 10 years until Zero came out, but I digress)

There's clearly a loving and loyal fanbase around Shenmue and while we have to face facts that it'll never be popular and be the butt of many a joke and a clickbaity youtube video, I truly believe we will get 4.

If Deadly Premonition can get a surprise sequel, than any game can.

Shenmue 3 isn't terrible.

He could also say that majority of Shenmue 1's story is filler.

BTW why people care about story so much ? Shenmue never had a great storyline.(Point'n click adventure games such as Grim Fandango had far superior storylines compare to Shenmue 1&2.)

This whole review reminds me of the Pokemon SW/SH situation. Beginning in February of last year, millions of fans were extremely eager to be part of the then-ongoing hype train after they saw the incredibly detailed trailer for Gen 8. Game Freak decided to make history by releasing the games for a home console, the first in the series, increasing the demand for Nintendo Switch. All went well, until last June's Nintendo Direct, where Junichi Masuda and Tsunekazu Ishihara told the fans that due to limitations and constrains, the total number of available Pokemon would be halved.

Following that one sentence, the social media sites nearly collapsed from all the negativity from many "fans", urging those who swore an oath of loyalty to the franchise to boycott the games simply because of a lower number of species. Some went as far as to send death threats to the producers and directors, prompting police interventions.

Thankfully, they remedied the situation by introducing DLC with the other half of Pokemon returning, along with some new ones.

Now we come to Shenmue 3: honestly, it DOES have flaws, such as the combat system and short length, but that does NOT mean that the whole franchise is now bad. There are people who point at negativities just because they can for cash and because they have major problems. Unfortunately, there are so-called gremlins, who crave this kind of entertainment, but the only way to solve the situation is to simply ignore them, or block them.

Shenmue 3 is a good game, but like every game out there it has flaws. Peace out

Just saw that. Needlessly to say, i feel exactly the same way. Its not that i'm no longer a fan. I would go all in for Shenmue 4, no matter what. But i wouldn't buy several copies nor buy a console just to play it. Its sad to realize these things. I really hope for a forth chapter, but i really don't believe its gonna happen.

Last edited:
The general consensus has been like that since youtube loudmouths like Jim Sterling, Angry Joe and the rest of the hate = clicks brigade got onto it. As soon as the game went Epic exclusive a match was lit under it which never went out. I can guarantee you that if the game would have just come out as planned then most people would have enjoyed it for what it is. An earnest low budget effort that tries to please everyone but didn't quite make it.

BUT

these guys seem to be generating all the news, but in the real world, they mean very little. Look at the Last of Us 2. A million and one shitty youtube videos when the leaks came out about how much 'the story SUCKS' 'woke SJW agenda!' and 'preorders are being cancelled in droves' when in fact it went on to break all sales records. The most popular youtuber probably influences less than 1% of the game buying public. You would have to have a very soft head to let some bloke on the internet tell you what to play, rather than make your own mind up.

You see these videos like 'Shenmue 3 is a disaster' 'The waterworld of videogames' and 'I wasted my life' around this game when it has a 68 Metacritic. Disaster implies something in the low 30's. Now Days Gone has a 71 which has it's fans. So whoop whoop - a whole 3 point difference. But it's easy to publish videos like '18 years for this?!1?!' and rag on the underdog endlessly knowing that people in your comments will flock to write huh duh Shenmue Sux Yakuza Is Da Best! (Nevermind these same people ignored Yakuza for 10 years until Zero came out, but I digress)

There's clearly a loving and loyal fanbase around Shenmue and while we have to face facts that it'll never be popular and be the butt of many a joke and a clickbaity youtube video, I truly believe we will get 4.

If Deadly Premonition can get a surprise sequel, than any game can.
Exactly that. His criticisms are well put together but it doesn't mean people can't enjoy the games or appreciate where it's come from or even agree with him.

The title is a standard YouTube click bait title but let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things, how many of these viewers will consider Shenmue as a purchase? Not that many so it really won't impact much

If there's a demand for a 4th game, which I believe there is then it's possible. Yu Suzuki seemed confident in his last interview. As long as he wants to make it and we want it then we will get it.

If not then we can look back, despite the lack of story satisfaction and flaws (some highlight more than others) that we made the dream come true. Remember the community was the butt of jokes for years in campaigning for it and we proved that wrong. We can do it again.

Don't agree with his suggestion how to fix the ending. Explain a bit about Lan Di's history first, like some tragic family history, and use a move to slow him down, that has a more emotional context, like "Demon's Triangle" Xiuying teaches Ryo.

It does move the story more than they give credit, with a civil war beginning in the Chi You but it's too much near the end.

The gambling grind isn't great, but I think it took me 15 minutes of Lucky Hit on 30 odds to earn the money to buy the Reversal move, so it sounds like they're exaggerating it.
Dude, i agree with you. But how is demon's triangle supposed to make such a vibrant part of the battle, if it's not even in the game!!! That'st the problem with this game. I agree with you. A demon's triangle would be awesome there. But it looks like they nor don't know what this games is all about or give a f.....

Just saw that. Needlessly to say, i feel exactly the same way. Its not that i'm no longer a fan. I would go all in for Shenmue 4, no matter what. But i wouldn't buy several copies nor buy a console just to play it. Its sad to realize these things. I really hope for a forth chapter, but i really don't believe its gonna happen.
This is about where I am. I am a fan, but I don't think I'm going to get overly excited or disappointed by anything related to the series at this point; ironic, I know, considering the effort I put into finding news on the fourth game. Shenmue 3 came out and definitely did not deliver where I expected it to, and I also don't think my heart's as into gaming as it was when I was into Shenmue 1 & 2, so that's part my problem as well. There's just too much on my mind in my 30s that wasn't on my mind when I was 14/15...

Shenmue III drew me back into gaming when it was announced, and I am enjoying my PS4 quite a bit, so I have some positive associations with Shenmue III as well. I definitely think some of these egotistical YouTubers need to chill out a bit if they really are or were fans. Spreading negativity a year into release kind of sucks, especially since we have no idea what's next. There's a big Resetera thread where the whole gang's dumping on Shenmue 3 yet again. That's all that happens.

In all honesty, the criticisms he levied against Shenmue III are the same generic criticisms every other critic has spouted. Basically, his criticism boils down to two points.

I). Shenmue III is outdated by modern standards.
II). The story is primarily filler.

Some of the criticisms towards Shenmue III I simply cannot understand. While complaints about the English localization are valid, why not just use the Japanese dub? The stamina system never bothered me because food items were cheap to buy and abundant. Making money via gambling is not as convoluted as he makes out to be when you can simply save scum.

Finally, the slow pacing has always been a part of Shenmue. Suzuki even said during a panel that players need to take their time to get the most out of the game. Shenmue III in a lot of ways harkens back to Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka with it's more detailed approach and methodical pacing. My problem was that the first game had a payoff where I felt like Shenmue III didn't.

While I agree with him about the lack of progression, for the most part, I vehemently disagree with him about your encounter with Longsun Zhao. If Iwao Hazuki an experienced martial arts master couldn't land a blow against him, what chance did Ryo honestly have when nothing in the story has indicated as such? Not to mention that the story is only forty percent complete.

The last criticism I have against the video is that he does not seem to understand that the game sold fine. Whether that statement by Embracer was just them saving face or is actually true has yet to be determined. The only way to determine that is to see what happens next for the franchise. Which means making our voices loud and clear that we want a Shenmue IV.

With all that being said, I am in absolute agreement with him about the combat system.

Title of the video seems like humorous hyperbole. I doubt he's actually suicidal or anything because he genuinely thinks he's wasted his life. Kind of embarrassing to see so many people in this topic triggered and angered by it.

48 minutes is a long-ass video. Will probably take me a while to finish it.

Shenmue 3 has more flaws than it does good elements, and the flaws seemed to have taken center stage of the development process.

I haven't posted here for a while, but I still regularly think about Shenmue 3, how much I disliked it and how it effects my opinion and fandom of the overall series. I have no issue with someone saying it's a terrible game. I think it's a bad game, myself.

20 minutes in and this is a good video so far.

I'm not sure what Shenmue 3 has to do with the fact he wasted his life. Is he saying Shenmue 1&2 being good were the reason he wasted his life up until Shenmue 3, rather than his own actions??? If so, maybe he should be mad at Yu for making S1 and S2 TOO good instead of S3 which made him realize he's wasting his life?????

Because if so, I agree. FUCK good video games.

Some of the criticisms towards Shenmue III I simply cannot understand. While complaints about the English localization are valid, why not just use the Japanese dub? The stamina system never bothered me because food items were cheap to buy and abundant. Making money via gambling is not as convoluted as he makes out to be when you can simply save scum.
Come on, bro. Can you not recognize the absurdity of this statement?

You're suggesting that if people commit time to the repetitive process of cheating the game by save scumming to bypass the way the game was designed, that this will actually show them the game is not so bad? No. Just no...

Anyway, I somehow managed to watch this in one sitting, and this is a great review. Agree with everything he's said. Surprised he didn't mention QTEs at all, especially when he mentions the good chase sequences. When he describes how the "story" plays out, I can't help but shake my head... So disappointing, but also comical when presented in this way.

Watching this review does indeed put into perspective, for me, just how bad of a game it is and how sad it makes me feel about the future of the series. I genuinely have so little hope for the series being properly realized even if there is a Shenmue 4. I feel like this game completely stalled the series, and puts into question where it can be taken. All the mystery and wonderment that previously existed for me has been replaced with doubt and uncertainty. I seriously have no grasp of where the story continues from here.

I got goosebumps watching his suggestion for the ending. He clearly gives a fuck about this series, and it's an admirable ending. Landing the body check would have been amazing and meaningful.

It was impossible to live up to the years of hype, BUT I was truthfully disappointed. Nearly a year later, I’m even less enthused with the finished product, mostly because of the story. I still enjoy it, but I understand where these criticisms are coming from.
The positivity around a Shenmue IV being a sure thing is great, but I personally don’t believe the sales have been great and the reception from newcomers was very poor and only lukewarm from long-time fans (as a consensus).

Dude, i agree with you. But how is demon's triangle supposed to make such a vibrant part of the battle, if it's not even in the game!!! That'st the problem with this game. I agree with you. A demon's triangle would be awesome there. But it looks like they nor don't know what this games is all about or give a f.....
If Xiuying is in 4, she can help you master it. I don't think Ryo could beat Lan Di properly (unless it's some kind of 'fastforward' spar) I think they can do a scene where you have to distract or stun him whilst Shenhua does her stuff, and she does something that unlock the mirrors or destroys the darkness in the temple, so they win the greater battle.

It was impossible to live up to the years of hype, BUT I was truthfully disappointed. Nearly a year later, I’m even less enthused with the finished product, mostly because of the story. I still enjoy it, but I understand where these criticisms are coming from.
The positivity around a Shenmue IV being a sure thing is great, but I personally don’t believe the sales have been great and the reception from newcomers was very poor and only lukewarm from long-time fans (as a consensus).
I don't think that's true at all. For me, as a Shenmue fan, my expectations were only that the story continue to develop. I think if the team had focused on what mattered, we would have gotten a proper Shenmue 3.

Instead we got a pointless food system that contributes nothing to the series, and we got a convoluted token/economy system that does nothing but waste time. The inclusion of both of these systems took away resources from developing what mattered most, and they waste the player's time. I actually think that if you remove both systems from Shenmue 3, then we're left with a good core of the game and all that's lacking then is story development, which would have received more attention during development if the food system and economy system were eliminated.

Come on, bro. Can you not recognize the absurdity of this statement?

You're suggesting that if people commit time to the repetitive process of cheating the game by save-scumming to bypass the way the game was designed, that this will actually show them the game is not so bad? No. Just no...

No, I honestly don't. I think people make this whole prize exchange mechanic more convoluted than it really is. It's basically four simple steps:

I). Use your money to buy tokens.
II). Use your tokens to gamble.
III). Use those tokens to buy prizes.
IV). Sell those prizes to the pawnshop for cash.

I know Super Eyepatch Wolf is exaggerating in his video but he makes it sound so much worse than it actually is. Also, most video games are repetitive by nature it's just dependant on what you want to tolerate. So if one can "cheat the system" to improve efficacy then I don't see the issue with it.

Back