SuperEyePatchWolf: "Shenmue III is a terrible game and I've wasted my life"

Really you guys are bashing screen fading to black before some cutscenes ?

You have gone into the realms of nitpicking. DMC 4 and RE 5 and RE 6 had loading screens before each cutscene and no one bashed them for it at all.

BEFORE the cutscene. Not in the middle of it. The cuts especially don't even make sense.
There's nothing to defend here. It just looks bad.

I think 27 pages shows that there's still passion here in the fanbase. Whether people agreed with the points made in the dude's video or not, the fact that people are fired up by it to debate about the game in this way, and it's positives and negatives is a good thing. The views on his video, compared to his positive original Shenmue video just goes to prove how much a clickbait title like that can and does influence people. I don't take the views on that video to mean anything other than he tricked people into clicking, and now Youtube is pushing his video because he's gaining traction, and I guess that's built into the algorithm or something. It's a shame, but just like the media business, it pays to exaggerate and lie, as long as it brings in the eyes. This then will now unfortunately probably follow a greed pattern for future videos from this guy. No longer expect videos that reflect games in positive lights like his original Shenmue video, expect the revenue gain from this video compared to his others to make him want to do this sort of thing more. That's just how things work :D
Does he have a history of intentionally playing and reviewing crappy games to get more views? I doubt that's likely. I think the review is circulating because it's a well made video.

I agree with the first part of your comment though, it's certainly fired me up. It's so clear to me what needs to be corrected in the next one that it instills some form of hope. I've also been itching to replay Shenmue 1 again and been listening to some S2 tunes.

Making this a separate post to make it clear who I'm talking to.
And Vasid has been told too. That's the end of it.
I don't think I've said the word "fanatics" in this thread (Edit: in fact when I search my posts for the word "fanatics" only this post I just made comes up), also pretty sure when I said people were mad earlier I was using it as "angry" not "insane". I stand by everything I've said in this thread. People need to calm down and stop attacking the video creator. And even if they're not using the term "fake fan" they still shouldn't be able to call people fake fans through implication or hinting at it but still tiptoeing around the wording (Example: "Why should I believe you are not a disgruntled fan? It's a possibility."), it's childish gatekeeping nonsense. It doesn't take loving every game in a series to be a fan, it doesn't mean blind faith, and it sure as hell doesn't mean not adding constructive criticism to the conversation about the game.

Who died and made @Novyal the head of the Shenmue fanclub in charge of determining who's "a disgruntled fan" or not? What's next? "You're not a Shenmue fan unless you can name who the secret boss in II is!"

I don't think I've said the word "fanatics" in this thread (Edit: in fact when I search my posts for the word "fanatics" only this post I just made comes up), also pretty sure when I said people were mad earlier I was using it as "angry" not "insane". I stand by everything I've said in this thread. People need to calm down and stop attacking the video creator. And even if they're not using the term "fake fan" they still shouldn't be able to call people fake fans through implication or hinting at it but still tiptoeing around the wording (Example: "Why should I believe you are not a disgruntled fan? It's a possibility."), it's childish gatekeeping nonsense. It doesn't take loving every game in a series to be a fan, it doesn't mean blind faith, and it sure as hell doesn't mean not adding constructive criticism to the conversation about the game.

Who died and made @Novyal the head of the Shenmue fanclub in charge of determining who's "a legitimate fan" or not? What an absurd concept "a legitimate fan" is.
I also stand by everything I said.

You didn't explicitly say the word "fanatic", but you implied it and hinted at it. Sounds familiar?

I'm not gatekeeping nor am I determining who is a legitimate fan or not. That's you calling me that to try and make look like the bad guy here.

Never did I say everyone needs to love Shenmue 3 and neither do I perceive all negative feedback to be in bad faith.
So stop trying to label me as childish and gatekeeping to try and dismiss my points.

I simply judged your actions as suspicious, which they are.
I also don't think what I'm doing is attacking the video creator, but rather making an observation based on his own video.

Don't like how you distort everything I say. It's the kind of thing that makes me doubt your intentions. If you were honest about it you wouldn't need to resort to distorting my words.

I've added my share of constructive criticism when I said what I think about the video. Which you curiously ignored to continue your claim that I haven't watched the video.

I'm not bothering anymore with this.

I also stand by everything I said.

You didn't explicitly say the word "fanatic", but you implied it and hinted at it. Sounds familiar?
No, I really didn't, and if I did I'd like you to quote it and show me.
I'm not gatekeeping nor am I determining who is a legitimate fan or not. That's you calling me that to try and make look like the bad guy here.
You literally said the creator of the video was "posing as a fan" and are STILL implying that my fandom is in question because I'm acting "suspicious". You're gatekeeping. Just because you say "no I'm not" doesn't make something not true. A lot of people don't perceive themselves as ever doing anything wrong, they're called narcissists.

I tell you what though: If you're not gatekeeping how about you explain what you're think you're doing when you call people "disingenuous", "suspicious", "posers", or "disgruntled fans"?
Don't like how you distort everything I say. It's the kind of thing that makes me doubt your intentions. If you were honest about it you wouldn't need to resort to distorting my words.
Please show me posts where I'm distorting what you're saying. Last I checked I was just quoting you and responding.

By the way really liking how you ignored all the points about the video not being clickbait in my last post. Hell you just ignored the whole post and only concerned yourself when the mod got brought up. Suspicious... It's almost if you care more about how you and I are perceived by others than your actual arguments...

Edit:
I've added my share of constructive criticism when I said what I think about the video.
Literally all I see in your post history (pretty much in general aside from one post you made forever ago) is you insisting the video is clickbait. That's it. Doubt that's constructive criticism. I don't like how you attempt to distort the past to fit your narrative.

Last edited:
It looks bad for you people that have no patience and just want nitpicking the game for the sake of it.

No patience ? What does it have to do with patience ? People aren't complaining that there are loading times. But that there are awkward cuts which makes no sense in term of cutscene direction.
Here are multiple exemples:
Shenhua and Ryo literally teleport in the SAME position from a different location and act like nothing. Right at the intro, it looks bad.

And here a little bit later:
There's a black screen cut, Shenhua and Ryo are walking... another black cut and they're stopping... another cut... and they walk again... another cut... and they stop...
It's bad. Really bad. Like, terrible. I've seen better stuff done by amateur on Source Film Maker. It's not only the animations which looks really stiff and bad, nor the voice acting which is really bad (no, there's no charm here. I can get the "charm" when it comes from some weird NPCs, but not here).

The CD4 of Shenmue 2 handled that a THOUSAND times better. There's no excuse. That was 20 years ago. And no, it's not because of budget here. You even have dialogue choices in Shenmue II during those walking parts. You can talk to Shenhua at your own pace and the camera angles are a thousand times better. Even the animations looks more convincing.

There's not a single way to sugarcoat that: It looks like shit.

Really you guys are bashing screen fading to black before some cutscenes ?

You have gone into the realms of nitpicking. DMC 4 and RE 5 and RE 6 had loading screens before each cutscene and no one bashed them for it at all.

Even the universal praised The Witcher 3 has fade to black loading screen for every (yes every) dialogues.
But for some reason I never see it mentioned anywhere, strange huh?

No patience ? What does it have to do with patience ? People aren't complaining that there are loading times. But that there are awkward cuts which makes no sense in term of cutscene direction.
Here are multiple exemples:
Shenhua and Ryo literally teleport in the SAME position from a different location and act like nothing. Right at the intro, it looks bad.

You're talking about how it fades to white, loads the next cutscene and then shows the screen in white again, fading out so you can see Ryo & Shenhua near the Dojo in Bailu Village?

I'm not sure if you noticed, but there's a clear black loading screen right in the middle of this 'example' and for some reason that wasn't cut? I don't remember the Shenmue I and II equivalents of these videos having loading screens present. The intention is pretty simple imo, the screen fades to white after a cutscene and then if you imagine that black loading screen wasn't there, you see Ryo & Shenhua now at Bailu Village... I'm really not sure what it is this is supposed to be an exemplification of, but all I see is a quick cut which shows that they have moved on from the cave and are now in Bailu Village. Not really too sure how you can decide that to be 'pointless', to be honest.

Its just a parody, no need to get your tighty whiteys in a bunch. Its a troll video in the style of Tekken's Arsenalty. While I don't agree with his point of view of the game, I do appreciate his comedy. No big deal he played through Shen3 twice and thought enough of it to do a 48 minute video on it. He's actually a fan.

Last edited:
You're talking about how it fades to white, loads the next cutscene and then shows the screen in white again, fading out so you can see Ryo & Shenhua near the Dojo in Bailu Village?

I'm not sure if you noticed, but there's a clear black loading screen right in the middle of this 'example' and for some reason that wasn't cut? I don't remember the Shenmue I and II equivalents of these videos having loading screens present. The intention is pretty simple imo, the screen fades to white after a cutscene and then if you imagine that black loading screen wasn't there, you see Ryo & Shenhua now at Bailu Village... I'm really not sure what it is this is supposed to be an exemplification of, but all I see is a quick cut which shows that they have moved on from the cave and are now in Bailu Village. Not really too sure how you can decide that to be 'pointless', to be honest.
I think they mean moments like this:

And this just before it:

I don't think they meant the fade to white, but again: could be wrong. When people mention their issues with "fading to black during sequences that shouldn't have a fade to black" I picture that opening scene in the game where Ryo and Shenhua are walking down a path.

Personally I don't think these fades are a big problem, but they are sometimes jaring.

Even the universal praised The Witcher 3 has fade to black loading screen for every (yes every) dialogues.
I haven't played that game but when playing a game, we all have different tolerances for different flaws.

Shenmue 1 and 2 have flaws but to me they are masterpieces. Other favorite games of mine have flaws but still manage to be my favorites. Pretty much all games have flaws but to what extent are they tolerable? Shenmue 3, to me, has so many flaws that they surpass the good in the game. If my overall experience is negative and unenjoyable because of the overwhelming amount of flaws that pile up on one another, then naturally I am going to say this.

If I'm playing a game that has more good elements than it does flaws, then I'll be willing to overlook flaws that don't impede my enjoyment of the game. Regarding Witcher 3, typically that game receives a lot of praise. My guess is that W3 has so much good bits in it that the flaws can be overlooked.

I think they mean moments like this:

And this just before it:

I don't think they meant the fade to white, but again: could be wrong. When people mention their issues with "fading to black during sequences that shouldn't have a fade to black" I picture that opening scene in the game where Ryo and Shenhua are walking down a path.

Personally I don't think these fades are a big problem, but they are sometimes jaring.

Those are a bit more fair if that's what he's referring to, maybe he accidentally marked the wrong time?

Did they not storyboard the cinematics? The intro conversation really makes no sense any way I interpret it. I don’t understand how they determined that was the most efficient way to show that sequence.

Mentioning that a game crashed x number of times is very different to selecting one or two examples that are incredibly different to the other 99.99% of similar instances and suggesting that they are representative of them all.
but can we just agree that when SEPW states that every morning, the same unskippable cutscene is played - he is wrong. He’s wrong that it happens every day (it’s more like 2/3), he is wrong that it is unskippable and he is wrong that it is the exact same cutscene (even if the different variations of it are pretty similar).
I agree that we're going round in circles but I will say that I would flip these numbers; you will experience some kind of weirdness in 1/3 of the conversations and what he said is true of the morning routine like 99% of the time. I agree that he should have mentioned the patch but I have to say that I forgive that because that's how every single person who waited 20 years to play the game played it and I agree that it's not the exact same cutscene that plays every morning, though I don't think that would substantially change what the viewer takes away. Certainly not enough to make the blanket claim that the review is arguing in bad faith.

I’d never actually looked up what the kanji on the back of the photograph said. Does Ryo ever mention this in game? It’s possible that I was aware of this as a child and completely forgot - but as I no longer explore every tiny element of the games like I did when I first played them, I genuinely thought this was new information when I heard it in S3.
On the Xbox version of S2, the back of the picture is translated in subtitles. I don't think Ryo ever mentions it in game, but he does hear from Yuanda Zhu that Iwao and Sunming trained in Bailu Village, so it's probably intended as a little easter egg.

Without having seen the complete Shenmue story, I’m not sure how you can write these elements off as being unimportant or insignificant.
What elements? Chai returning? If he returned in S4 instead of S3 how would it make any difference given how little he affects the events of S3?

There’s every chance that some of these elements will pay off in future entries - just as there’s every chance that some of the elements from the first few games that seem important to the story won’t.
I'm saying that they are important, which is why you can't omit them from a proper summary the way you can Chai and the random gangs. Ryo carries Xiuying's pendant with him, that's definitely going to pay off by meeting Ziming and so, a summary of S2 that omits that is incomplete.

The drunk master teaches Ryo patience. I’m not particularly well versed in martial arts, but I can see how adapting one’s style in order to combat an opponents style would make sense.
I feel like there's a lot of overlap with the masters teaching Ryo patience, almost everyone who teaches him a move mentions it in some way. I think there's definitely a great Shenmue master storyline if you combine the best elements from both (ie: studying the animal styles and doing Karate Kid style tasks as training).

It feels like a mixture of them wanting to stretch out the game’s story whilst also encouraging the player to take in everything that the game has to offer. Personally, I’d rather they’d left the choice in the players hands (if they want to burn through the game in 10-15 hours, let them) as I feel like most fans would have naturally gravitated towards the side activities as they played.
This is possible. Another possibility is that the story was kept purposely small in scale as a way of hedging bets on the possibility of S3 being a massive success and Suzuki getting more freedom to expand in S4. Again, pure speculation.

That said, I think this is an incredibly difficult (if not impossible) task and that no matter what they did they were always destined to disappoint a section of the fan base. Unfortunately, I feel as though by neglecting the story, they disappointed a much larger section of the fan base than they needed to - and to a much greater degree.
Totally agree.

Last edited:
Probably because everything about the conversations in the Witcher 3 from the writing, acting, directing, and animation is so much better than their equivalent in S3 (and conversations tend to be much longer with dialogue trees and choices to make) that it's easily overlooked. To be clear: Shenmue 3 has 1000 problems that need to be addressed before "fades to black" even gets mentioned.

However , the witcher 3 has one of the best (if not the best) writing in open world genre.

A video of 48 minutes and 29 pages of discussion in one week? No. Mods will ban me in my second sentence if I'm get in here. I can picture what's been said tho.

What elements? Chai returning? If he returned in S4 instead of S3 how would it make any difference given how little he affects the events of S3?
Again, I think you could make this argument of many of the events and elements that have taken place in the series so far. If Xiuying had shown up and given Ryo the pendant at the beginning of Shenmue 3 or had Ryo been given the poetry scroll by master Feng and told that it was one of his father's old possessions, would it really make a difference?
I'm saying that they are important, which is why you can't omit them from a proper summary the way you can Chai and the random gangs. Ryo carries Xiuying's pendant with him, that's definitely going to pay off by meeting Ziming and so, a summary of S2 that omits that is incomplete.
I certainly agree that these elements appear important, but until we reach the point in the story where they come into play, we really can't know for sure.

What if Xiuying giving the pendant to Ryo was simply a metaphor for her letting go of her brother and the guilt that she felt for not convincing him to stay? Him leaving as a child and her inability to convince him not to go is something that she's carried with her for her whole life. Ryo following the same path in spite of all of her warnings and training may have helped her to accept that sometimes, people's minds simply can't be changed and that there was nothing she could have said or done to have stopped her older brother from leaving all those years ago (especially considering that she was only a child at the time).

I really hope we meet Zimming and that the pendant has an impact on that situation, but there's no guarantee that either of these things are going to happen.

Conversely, we are given an amber pendant by Elder Yeh during Shenmue 3 and are also told by Shenhua that she had been given an amber pendant by her father when she was a child. How can you say with any surety that this pendant won't come into play somewhere later on in the story and that the pendant itself doesn't have some kind of connection to her powers?
I feel like there's a lot of overlap with the masters teaching Ryo patience...
Agreed, but I think this is emblematic of Ryo's inability to put his emotions aside and accept his own limitations as a martial artist. We see this at several points throughout the story - and that his first reaction after getting his ass kicked by Mr. Muscles mk.1 is to go straight back for a second round suggests that he still needs to learn the virtue of patience before he can progress as a martial artist.
This is possible. Another possibility is that the story was kept purposely small in scale as a way of hedging bets on the possibility of S3 being a massive success and Suzuki getting more freedom to expand in S4. Again, pure speculation.
I really don't subscribe to this idea that Yu saw Shenmue 3 as nothing more than a launchpad for Shenmue 4. Unless a deal was struck with Deep Silver to publish both Shenmue 3 and Shenmue 4 (which I suppose is possible, if not a little improbable), Yu had no reason not to put his all into Shenmue 3 and make it the best game he possibly could.

Back