SuperEyePatchWolf: "Shenmue III is a terrible game and I've wasted my life"

Real1

Sofa King
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Disco Elysium - THe Final Cut (Switch), Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
PSN
Real1Awesome
Nintendo Friend Code
2815-1822-2899
Harsh but well thought out criticisms from I guess now a former fan.

What do you think? This video is going to get popular unfortunately. I bet it'll get 3-500k views.

For the record, I've been a fan of his for a while and his previous Shenmue video was great.

Wasting life is a litte OTT and it's a harsher tone but overall valid.

I watched the previous Shenmue video and really enjoyed that.

His criticism of the combat system is SPOT ON.
It's just badly designed. Because combos are made the way they are, pushing a face button gives an input lag because the game might expect another input.

His criticism of the combat system is SPOT ON.
It's just badly designed. Because combos are made the way they are, pushing a face button gives an input lag because the game might expect another input.
It needs tweaking more than anything. The combos can work nicely but there is a definite input lag. Not sure how you would eliminate that though?

It needs tweaking more than anything. The combos can work nicely but there is a definite input lag. Not sure how you would eliminate that though?

Funnily, they did it. Just not for all combos. The game has a good combo system with the L2/LT trigger. Basically, you hold the trigger then input buttons fast. And it makes the move. If you ask every move to work this way, not only the battle system will be a lot better but also more dynamic. And no more lag.

The section on the combat is really good and I think a big part of why Shenmue 3 left me so uninterested. The cool part about Shenmue was it was a mix of RPG and fighting game, Shenmue 3 is just an RPG with something I wouldn't even call a fighting game for it's combat. The combat in 1 is why I relished training and did it every day, even taking whole weeks where I just trained all day which I did to get to the Christmas scenes with Nazomi because otherwise I'd beat the game too fast, but something I wouldn't do unless I loved the combat system.

He pretty much covers it in the video: The combo system shouldn't be based on just face button presses. Making the combat system based on face button press combinations causes it to lag because it's waiting for you to enter more inputs, if the combat system were based on movement inputs followed by a face button press (like every fighting game ever and Shenmue 1 & 2) it wouldn't have the lag at all.

Edit: They could always patch in a better input system, though I doubt they will since the goal seems to have been to make the combat more mashing friendly. Maybe someone will mod it in?

Last edited:
I already commented on the video but I never felt 'not in control' of Ryo at any point. There were so many button combos to learn and I had great enjoyment in stringing moves together.

That said this video is the last sort of thing we need right now. The hyperbolic title only helps to ensure unwarranted hate and these videos are like moths to a flame for people who never had a stake in this franchise to shit up the comments sections.

I already commented on the video but I never felt 'not in control' of Ryo at any point. There were so many button combos to learn and I had great enjoyment in stringing moves together.

That said this video is the last sort of thing we need right now. The hyperbolic title only helps to ensure unwarranted hate and these videos are like moths to a flame for people who never had a stake in this franchise to shit up the comments sections.

While the title may sound hyperbolic, I feel like the conclusion pretty much justified it.

I also think that this kind of video is what is needed to reflect on what was working and what wasn't in Shenmue III, if we want IV to not make the same mistakes.

Terrible game is way over the top.

I understand why people would feel that S3 is not a good game, in fact, if I wasn't a die-hard Shenmue fan, I probably wouldn't call Shenmue 3 a good game myself, but terrible?

No way. S3 is an overall competent game with a number of flaws, but not terrible. Not by a long shot. I hate this clickbaity Youtube style.

People can dislike a game but i will never understand people complaining as if Shenmue III is the worst game of all time, i will never understand the title of this video. No, i will not see this video, the title of this video is insane and maybe clickbait.

I will never understand people saying that Shenmue is outdated, games are art, they are not outdated. Classical music is outdated? in my opinion of course not, in my opinion arts don't work this way, i never liked this word "outdated" to talk about games, maybe i'm the only one who thinks that.

Ryo can't jump on the games, this is a bad thing? no, this is outdated? no, this is just Yu Suzuki style, some people will like his style and some people will not like it.

Shenmue have to be like every modern game? of course not, Shenmue games needs guns to be good? of course not. Shenmue have to be like GTA? of course not, Shenmue have to be like Yakuza? of course not, Yu Suzuki have his style of doing games.

I'm not saying Shenmue III is perfect, i saw things that i disliked, i prefer the combat system of Shenmue I and II, i disliked other things on the game but i saw good things too, some people complained that Ryo can work in this game, some people complained about forklift being in the game, i will never understand this.

I will always be a Shenmue fan even if someday we get Shenmue 4 and maybe i will dislike the game, i will always respect Yu Suzuki.

Shenmue will never be a waste of time for me.
:giggle:

People can dislike a game but i will never understand people complaining as if Shenmue III is the worst game of all time, i will never understand the title of this video. No, i will not see this video, the title of this video is insane and maybe clickbait.

I will never understand people saying that Shenmue is outdated, games are art, they are not outdated. Classical music is outdated? in my opinion of course not, in my opinion arts don't work this way, i never liked this word "outdated" to talk about games, maybe i'm the only one who thinks that.

Ryo can't jump on the games, this is a bad thing? no, this is outdated? no, this is just Yu Suzuki style, some people will like his style and some people will not like it.

Shenmue have to be like every modern game? of course not, Shenmue games needs guns to be good? of course not. Shenmue have to be like GTA? of course not, Shenmue have to be like Yakuza? of course not, Yu Suzuki have his style of doing games.

I'm not saying Shenmue III is perfect, i saw things that i disliked, i prefer the combat system of Shenmue I and II, i disliked other things on the game but i saw good things too, some people complained that Ryo can work in this game, some people complained about forklift being in the game, i will never understand this.

I will always be a Shenmue fan even if someday we get Shenmue 4 and i dislike, i will always respect Yu Suzuki.

Shenmue will never be a waste of time for me.
:giggle:
So you won't watch the video but you'll proceed to rant about complaints not made in the video? This is not helpful to the discussion.

I’m hoping that the title of the video will actually get people to sit and watch it all the way through. It’s a very well made, though-out and sincere video. I just finished it a few minutes ago and the final moments were actually very good. Yeah, the guy hates the game, but he explains why and hopes that those who love the series found what they wanted in it. Can’t get more reasonable than that.

So you won't watch the video but you'll proceed to rant about complaints not made in the video? This is not helpful to the discussion.
Im'not bothering people with my opinion and i am not here to fight with people. i will not enter in a discussion with you so please let stop here. If you think this was not helpful just move on please, i'm not bothering anyone here. If one day i see this video i will come back in this thread but i wanted to say my opinion, there is nothing wrong with this.

This is more or less exactly how Shenmue 3 has made me feel, I'm still a fan but my enthusiasm for Shenmue has never been this low. Ironically, I was more enthusiastic for Shenmue as a franchise when we didn't have 3.

If anyone is interested in my thoughts for 3 that haven't seen it yet, here they are, from someone who considered Shenmue his favourite video game IP of all time. Honest but fair I feel.

I agree with a lot of his specific complaints about Shenmue 3's combat, and I agree with some of the complaints about its progression, but I think he takes a lot of these things to strange conclusions. Like, yes, the reverse body check probably should have had a different animation, and yes, 5000 yuan is way too much to ask for that scroll (especially since the yuan exploits no longer exist in that area), but that was a relatively small part of half of the game. The entire video is spent providing equal amounts of time to every complaint and completely glossing over the good parts, so for the uninitiated viewer without a sense for how long the game actually is and what options you have available this is terribly misleading. He spends as much time describing the misdirection surrounding the wine as every good part of Niaowu, which is just... a lot. He compresses all of the final assault into "you go through some guys."

It's a well-considered critique and for someone who has played the game it has meaningful things to say, but for most of his 840K+ subscribers that never touched the game it'll lead them to believe a series of things that I could pretty comfortably assert aren't true. (Not to mention that some of his complaints are clearly just poor decision-making on his part - why in the world would he gamble away a third of his money when he was three chopped logs away from affording the wine?) The fact that he chose all of the articles calling it a failure and none of the investor reports calling it a success says a lot, IMO.

I kinda agree with the premise (being somewhat disappointing after all these years waiting), about why and how the combat system doesn't work and how the game feels like filler.
The combat for me was never the big seller of the game, so ultimately I can handwave it.
I don't agree with the investigation segments just calling it bad because badly written dialogue. I think Shenmue's 3 world it's pretty well executed (even though I consider the original just more interesting/less bland in almost every aspect). And the "archaic" game design is what actually kept my interest in the series (and I'm using the journalistic illiterate way, since Shenmue gameloop is pretty much unique to Shenmue).
Also his take on the ending manages to be even worse than the original (if you have to basically monologue about the character inner feelings you have failed into constructing a scene, hell you could put over his monologue in the final scene about "Lan Di reflecting if it's worth his pursuit while literally the world around him burning", it wouldn't make it better).
I think that S3's biggest fault was the lack of focus, YS tried to have all the nuances that made the originals great, but left the story that is the main motivation and glue that holds the game together really half baked.

Back