SuperEyePatchWolf: "Shenmue III is a terrible game and I've wasted my life"

After doing some digging, I have to concede the point to @Rydeen that the combat system in Shenmue III has the fundamentals needed for a good combat system.
It has the underlying mechanics needed for a good combat system, on that I can't disagree (I don't know the ins and outs of the system); but I disagree that it has the fundamentals down (the input delay, weird animations, missing offensive and defensive options, lack of impact etc.). It's kind of like the story: you can argue that the story is full of wonderful metaphors and color theory and cinematography all you want but they still forgot to introduce and name Niao Sun. You can't worry about the complexities that make a story great when the foundation isn't all there.

Some of you people really don't get the style of game Shenmue is or the spirit of Shenmue. To suggest Us Net cut fully voiced NPCs just so the story can race to the finish line would completely tank the franchise and not be a true sequel to Shenmue.
Uhh... look at the reception S3 got; does this seem like a thriving franchise to you? Also lol "race to the finish line".

Niaowu's biggest weakness was the amount of non-voiced NPCs.
I thought the biggest weakness was the fact that it was completely superfluous to the overall plot and basically nothing of consequence happened there until the castle section.

If an even further cut back version of Niaowu became the standard, Shenmue would be dead. Completely unacceptable. If you want a game like that , go play Assassin's Creed.
Are you under the impression that Shenmue 3 is less "cut back" than Assassin's Creed? In what sense?

A Shenmue game without full voice acting isn't Shenmue, period.
Voiced dialogue is essential for Shenmue experience
Yeah. Shenmue doesn't need any voice acting imo.
This is why we can't have nice things.

I'd like to see Shenmue adopt a hybrid combat system of Godhand for multiple enemy encounters (albeit more grounded) and Virtua Fighter for boss-type enemies.

Ghost of Tsushima handles multiple opponents and one-on-one encounters very well and provides distinctive experiences for each battle type. This is something I’ve wanted to see in Shenmue’s combat system for a long time. Directional inputs would be difficult to pull off in a 3-D space when fighting multiple enemies. Despite the original games doing this, I can’t say I enjoyed the combat nearly as much as I did during one-on-one fights. I’ve been fighting Master Baihu recently and that fight is amazing. At times it can be very tense and rounds can go on for a long time. I can honestly say that if Shenmue III’s combat system been better than it is, then I could ignore almost all of the other flaws in the game.

Who ever said a combat system like God hand ........YES PLEASE!

I kinda thought that's what they was going to go with early in development reports which I guess in a way they did with the auto move select options but was in no way as compelling has God hands combat

But anyway so every good points raised on the combat in the shenmue games on this bored

I'm more into the S1&2 system personally but I didn't completely hate the S3 system it worked and wasn't broken but i wasn't as compelled by it, I think that castle fight on the bridge left a bad taste in my mouth as it exposed all it short comings

This thread, I believe, encapsulates everything wrong with the Dojo. It was more fun lurking on the old site when S3 was a pipe dream.
For some people Shenmue 3 still is a pipe dream. I dunno I liked Shenmue 3 a lot while I played it but I don’t really wanna play it again. Maybe my expectations were too high. Even a game like Batman Arkham City blows Shenmue 3 out of the water and that was a PS3 game! If somehow Sega decided to commit to pick up Shenmue again to completion with an unlimited budget would we want them to start with Shenmue 4 OR first redo Shenmue 3?

Last edited:
For some people Shenmue 3 still is a pipe dream. I dunno I liked Shenmue 3 a lot while I played it but I don’t really wanna play it again. Maybe my expectations were too high. Even a game like Batman Arkham City blows Shenmue 3 out of the water and that was a PS3 game! If somehow Sega decided to commit to pick up Shenmue again to completion with an unlimited budget would we want them to start with Shenmue 4 OR first redo Shenmue 3?
I would settle for a shenmue 3 director's cut on the ps5

LOL would that version of the game add 4 more arcades to Bailu and Niaowu?
Lol yea outrun afterburner hang on and space harriar and darts

But also to be able to to play as ren and shenhua that could fill in some of the underdeveloped plot points

Anyway, If this guy really believed that Shenmue 3 is a "Waste of his life" then he would never play it 2 times.(He wouldn't even finish it and instead would watch the cutscenes on youtube.)

Oh. and do we have to care about some youtube viewers getting tricked by this video ? Since those people rarely even play games which is why they spend more time on youtube than actually playing games.(Similar to those EA,Activision,Bethesda and Take 2 haters that waste their life in there and are in complete minority compare to people that actually buy and play games.)

Taking this video seriously is as foolish as taking Plinkett Prequel nitpicking reviews seriously.

The gambling grind isn't great, but I think it took me 15 minutes of Lucky Hit on 30 odds to earn the money to buy the Reversal move, so it sounds like they're exaggerating it.
Agree, it was easy to get the money for me, I'm surprised that someone took a lot of time to get it. I think I just sold flowers or scum, Idk. I always had a lot of money in the game, like 10k or something.

Agree, it was easy to get the money for me, I'm surprised that someone took a lot of time to get it. I think I just sold flowers or scum, Idk. I always had a lot of money in the game, like 10k or something.
First time I played it, I wasted a couple of hours earning loads of emeralds so I could buy like 10 potions for the castle, but don't even need to do that. The castle has a lot of enemies but there are fairly easy (red snakes leader might be hard if you don't train)

Oh and one more thing, he went to the final with 19 hours. Only 19 hours? Idk you guys, but I was like +30 hours at that state, he certainly rushed the game, and this is clearly a game that you shouldnt do that at all.

About the "oh, you gotta ask a lot of people to continue with the story". My boy, welcome to Shenmue series. Shenmue 1 it's basically that + forklift

Oh and one more thing, he went to the final with 19 hours. Only 19 hours? Idk you guys, but I was like +30 hours at that state, he certainly rushed the game, and this is clearly a game that you shouldnt do that at all.

About the "oh, you gotta ask a lot of people to continue with the story". My boy, welcome to Shenmue series. Shenmue 1 it's basically that + forklift
I thought 2 was really good there, because you could follow NPCs and usually ask them about mutiple things. Maybe it wouldn't have worked for 3 as much, because the first half is set in a village whereas 2 is more non linear because of how overwhelming Hong Kong is.

I thought 2 was really good there, because you could follow NPCs and usually ask them about mutiple things. Maybe it wouldn't have worked for 3 as much, because the first half is set in a village whereas 2 is more non linear because of how overwhelming Hong Kong is.
But that was because you needed to go to a certain place and it was too big to remember it at the begining.

S1: ask people.
S2: ask people to tell you the location of the people you need to ask to
S3: ask people.

If he complains about asking people stuff, he complains about the entire series gameplay.

But that was because you needed to go to a certain place and it was too big to remember it at the begining.

If he complains about asking people stuff, he complains about the entire series gameplay.
I just mean if they do 4, they can have more interactivity and choices in talking to people, like deciding which wude to do first. It was cute the choices to talk with Shenhua, but other NPCs would be good too. Although yeah I suppose it does depend on the setting, the scale, how many dialogue choices feel right... like if 4 starts off in a village near the cliff temple, it might be more linear.

I just mean if they do 4, they can have more interactivity and choices in talking to people, like deciding which wude to do first. It was cute the choices to talk with Shenhua, but other NPCs would be good too. Although yeah I suppose it does depend on the setting, the scale, how many dialogue choices feel right... like if 4 starts off in a village near the cliff temple, it might be more linear.
Well yeah of course it would be nice to have more options and variants, like more rpg-ish but I think that means more money and I dont think they are up to that.

What I'm saying it's that he's complaining about something that was always there and that it's crucial to the series. Well, maybe "crucial" it's a big word, but it's important

S1 & S2 have some pretty big plot progression, cinematic and action between those conversations. Shenmue 3 kind of lacks those big moments. I don't think it's all that simple.

Back